-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You will enjoy the history of the Occidental!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bob in NH:

I have not decided on a stock yet but you'll be driving by my barreled 300 WM action on the way from Rapid to Buffalo.

We do one or two trips a year in Buffalo and just got back from a fishing/backpacking trip.

I have only been in Bighorns as late as September 15. Weather in September is not predictable as previously mentioned. Been in a foot of snow the first week of Sept.

Plenty of moose and elk up high in Bighorns.
Saw a nice string of mule deer bucks heading up the mountain just south of buffalo last week. Last one in the string was 180 or better. More deer lower this year for some reason, including down town Buffalo.

Great sculptures related to the Johnson County War in downtown Buffalo. Usually see trout in Clear creek next to the Occidental,a great old bar and hotel.

As mentioned, the Winchester Steak house is typically good and the food at the south fork lodge is very,very good also. The wife and I make a point of having at least one meal there every trip. Holly has pictures of some nice elk at the SF lodge.

If you have time check out the Medicine wheel on the north side of the bighorns and little bighorn battle field up on I 90 about 100 miles (When you see the terrain you'll wonder where Custer's head was at).

The Powder and Tongue river country is some of my favorite. Enjoy.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks lostleader!

Little Bighorn is on my "want to" list for our full day in Buffalo!

Holly has offered to take my wife "elk watching" if we tag out! She does shoot some nice ones!

Closer this trip gets the more anxious we get! We just want to get on the plane! 3 more weeks!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow sounds like a great time Bob I LOVE that area. If you have time while around Rapid City a trip down to Hill City for filet mignon (it's all they serve!) at the Alpine Inn is worthwhile. The drive thru the Black Hills is amazing.

My son and I backpacked the Bighorns above Buffalo in '14 after antelope hunting. The weather was very pleasant (frost in the morning; mid-70s during the day) as others have said but it's unpredictable.

The scenery is mind numbing in its beauty. We ran thru lots of prime elk and mule deer habitat up high and drove by lots of pronghorn down low.

Pics can't do it justice:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a bit of a drive from Buffalo but worth it IMHO. Just west of Kaycee is the Red Wall - not sure if that's the official name but its where the Hole in the Wall gang had their hideout.
Some really great scenery! My photo skills are lacking but its a beautiful area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 09/08/16. Reason: west not east of Kaycee

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those red rock formations have more rattlesnakes than any other type of habitat I have ever been in!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Snowed on the peaks last night. It's been cool.
Mid Sept. cool weather, snow on top,.....Bring your snow boots for Oct. Kimber7, got it.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We hunt goats closer to Gillette and will be there again this year October 14 for a couple days. We've had weather all over the place also, but it's always windy. Plan on wind.

Salmonhead
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just got back last night, all I can say is "wow", as my wife said 'that was probably the most fun vacation we've been on" so that means it beats cruises, mediteranean, yellowstone, jamiaca, so that says alot.

Started in Rapid City SD, saw:
- Mt Rushmore
- Custer State forest
- Crazy Horse
- Badlands national park

Over to Buffalo:
- Stayed at Occidental
- Tried to go over the bighorns on Rt16, but they had "chain law in effect" so we didn't go far
- We did, Winchester Steak house, and Bozeman Steak house, both great! Thanks for the recommendation

Then to southfork for hunting, all I can say is "WOW"

11 hunters in camp, 3 with just deer tags, 2 with just antelope tags, rest were combo.

Everyone was tagged out by lunch on day 3. Wife and I both tagged mulie buck 4x4's on day 1 and antelope on day 2.

I'll get pictures but still unpacking etc. Got home at 2 last night.

Wife's buck was HUGE. Biggest of the year for the lodge and is at the taxidermist. Mine is 21 inch spread and looks small next to hers.

I did beat her on antelope. She got 14 incher, I got 15!

Can't say enough good about Wayne, Holly and Southfork itself, amazing place, great food, great people and great hunting.

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 10/11/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you both - appears you made the most of that trip!!

Looking forward to your pictures, congrats again on your successful hunts!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Bob,

Congrats to you and your wife on a fantastic time I'm really happy to hear you had so much fun and I look forward to seeing some pictures!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
tag

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.