-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, we had to work the "butts" in basic and later qualifications.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has to be one of the most interesting threads I've read in years!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GreenHornet47
This has to be one of the most interesting threads I've read in years!

+1

I have worked in the butts. Was common at my old range. The sonic crack can get a little loud!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
For those of you who have worked in the "butts" and have seen the movie Quigly Down Under.
Remember the scene where Quigly lines up the two guys at the ranch house the sound effect of the bullet hitting the two guys always reminded me of the bullet hitting the target backer at the 600 yd butt, same sound. Whoever did the sound effect got it right.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Working the pits for the 600 HP shoot is routine at my club.
Wasn't in the military so never heard them called the butts.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pulled targets in the pits at Camp Luna - back in my NG days.
200 yd qual ( small range ) with deep pits. Around 10' IIRC.
Still remember the sound of bullets ricocheting off the concrete retaining wall. (Don't think I could hear them today smile )

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When I worked out at the rifle range we had a coffee can full of casings that had obviously been run through the wrong caliber rifle. It really makes you wonder some times. The lack of firearms safety displayed by guys who should have definitely known better always amazed me.

After deer season, the range was only open on the weekends, and with just a person manning the office, who would make the rounds every hour and check on the clay pigeon range, the handgun range and the rifle range. I was working on Sunday, and had two older fellers shooting up on the rifle range. I was keeping an eye on them through the closed circuit camera and I noticed I hadn't seen the one guy in a half hour or so. He hadn't come to the office, or gone down to the parking lot to use the biffy or get anything out of his car. I figured I'd better go up and check on him. I get up to the range shack, and the one guy's down on his rifle, lining up a shot. I asked him "where's your buddy?" He told me he was out behind the target butts. This guy would shoot, and he'd come out to check his shot! Sometimes you just can't unteach stupid.

Well, when I was in the USN and we had to qualify with the M-1 in boot camp up at Pendleton, the targets were manned by another unit in the pits below.. One guy took a ricochet right off his helmet.. Left a nice dent..

This was back in Jan. of '67.. Wonder if they still do it that way?

Same in '67 at Ft. Polk, LA.

Tall round metal culvert type pipe sections buried vertical w/metal ladders attached to inside wall, mostly puddles of water/mud bottom.

Kind of cool watching ricochet tracer rounds sizzle and burn out in the dirt and mud puddles around outside pit.
More scary than cool when one bounced inside.

Got a bit intense for a few minutes once for one young trainee soon after starting his turn down inside the pits. Pygmy rattler in the bottom and bullets flying over his head.

Sounds pretty exciting. Did that happen to you or did you find it in Webster's under the definition for caught between a rock and a hard place?

Every military range I've seen recently has been popups but the private range I go to has pits for the 1000..

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by T LEE
Yep, we had to work the "butts" in basic and later qualifications.

Same here. And we also worked the butts for our own company when we had requal every year.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bearbacker
Originally Posted by skinner
A couple of years ago I heard a Cabelas employee tell a customer that the scope he just bought would fit on his rifles picadilly rail.

LOL What a doofus! Everyone knows it's supposed to be called a PICANINNY rail, right?!

The one I love is HORN - A - DAY boolits.
OK, that just hit me, I'm going to start telling people the "N" is silent so it WHORE - A -DAY. LOL

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lee-uh-pold

Leah-pole

Suhvorski

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One of my favs

"22 on a 38 frame!"

Founder

WS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Suh-warv-a-hooski

Eye Mister ( for IMR)

Hog-a-dons ( for Hodgdon)

Dar-waan ( for Daiwa fishing reel)

Hornabee ( Hornady)

Seriously....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Teeker

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Poobs had a kid one day ask for the following;

"I need a polycolt ribet for a Ruger super black cat!"

(Translation a Polychoke rib for a Ruger super Blackhawk)

He later blew up said revolver with his handloads!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/01/16.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bullet weights in "Grams" crazy grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LMMFAO!

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Gunner! Same damn kid blew up a Smith 29! I think he's in prison now!

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When I worked out at the rifle range we had a coffee can full of casings that had obviously been run through the wrong caliber rifle. It really makes you wonder some times. The lack of firearms safety displayed by guys who should have definitely known better always amazed me.

After deer season, the range was only open on the weekends, and with just a person manning the office, who would make the rounds every hour and check on the clay pigeon range, the handgun range and the rifle range. I was working on Sunday, and had two older fellers shooting up on the rifle range. I was keeping an eye on them through the closed circuit camera and I noticed I hadn't seen the one guy in a half hour or so. He hadn't come to the office, or gone down to the parking lot to use the biffy or get anything out of his car. I figured I'd better go up and check on him. I get up to the range shack, and the one guy's down on his rifle, lining up a shot. I asked him "where's your buddy?" He told me he was out behind the target butts. This guy would shoot, and he'd come out to check his shot! Sometimes you just can't unteach stupid.

Well, when I was in the USN and we had to qualify with the M-1 in boot camp up at Pendleton, the targets were manned by another unit in the pits below.. One guy took a ricochet right off his helmet.. Left a nice dent..

This was back in Jan. of '67.. Wonder if they still do it that way?

Same in '67 at Ft. Polk, LA.

Tall round metal culvert type pipe sections buried vertical w/metal ladders attached to inside wall, mostly puddles of water/mud bottom.

Kind of cool watching ricochet tracer rounds sizzle and burn out in the dirt and mud puddles around outside pit.
More scary than cool when one bounced inside.

Got a bit intense for a few minutes once for one young trainee soon after starting his turn down inside the pits. Pygmy rattler in the bottom and bullets flying over his head.

Sounds pretty exciting. Did that happen to you or did you find it in Webster's under the definition for caught between a rock and a hard place?

Every military range I've seen recently has been popups but the private range I go to has pits for the 1000..

Nope, not me per the snake ordeal. Happened to another young trainee on down the firing line. Snake wasn't there earlier. After chow it was. Had to of fell down inside between shifts. I didn't see it all go down with my own eyes. Couldn't have as I was inside another pit back toward the other end. I was told about it later by fellow trainees who were up on the fireline when it happened that did.

Going on 50 years ago now (summer of '67) but to the best of my memory that was the only rifle range I remember working the pits. I do recall shooting at some pop-up ranges at both Ft. Polk and Ft. Knox too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
"What grain bullet should I use?"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And we cannot the folks that have asked for a 'Veritable' scope....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.