Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I got boat fever and I'm looking for some feedback on Xpress and War Eagle boats. Been looking at 16' to 18' models with 50 to 90 hp 4 strokes. Open to all models, my little small town actually has a dealer for both of my top two choices. I plan on crappie and bass fishing from it, along with running trot lines in the MS river. Heck, I might even get a camo boat for duck hunting in the winter. Any owners on here with some solid reviews?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Have you gone to look at any? A quick once over of the construction might take care of the choice.

FYI, Scandy-White has started with the pad hull thing.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran a 16' X-Press as my small boat on the rivers for about 4 or 5 years. I thought it was a very well made boat and gave me zero issues. It handled very well with the 2-stroke Johnson 40hp jet that I had on it. In all fairness, it is not going to fish like a glass boat or heavy aluminum if you are trying to set on the front running a trolling motor. I had mine laid out with a single bench in the back with driver's seat and added a Storage well w/pass seat to one side. This left the boat with plenty of open space and with aluminum mesh flooring, I could walk from front to back without having to step over anything.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got an older Express/Alumaweld, 14' jon boat and have had 0 problems, but...

I've heard that the last couple of years, they have had problems with welds cracking. They will repair it, at no cost, but it takes a while, and I dont know who pays shipping.

I see War Eagle boats, but dont know anything about them.

You might look at a Crestliner aluminum boat. They cost less, than an Express, or you can get more options for the same money. I've got a friend with one (had it about a year) and I've really been impressed with the boat.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have buddies running both Xpress and War Eagle, both are great boats with the slight edge in quality and options going to war eagle imho.

For clarity, Xpress used to be Aluma-weld from Arkanses, but never Alumaweld, which is a high end Oregon jet sled company that's head and shoulders above what Xpress does but at a cost.

In fact the xpress name came about due to a lawsuit that Oregon Alumaweld won handily.

Too bad your not local Pineknot as a buddy is unloading his lower mileage 17' Lowe package for dirt cheap. If I didn't just buy an older 19' hull to make into a duck boat

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mallard, What is dirt cheap? My hunting pard is looking for a G3 or similar.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go and get in anything you are considering. Get the dealer to let you take a ride in one.

I think both are good boats depending on exactly what you want though I tend to like War Eagle better.

I have a 20' Sea Ark with a 115 Suzuki 4 stroke. I like it very much so far.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both companies have solid reputations. IMO the first thing to look at is whether it is a welded boat or riveted one. Rivets always pop. Second is the steel. I'd want .90 or above.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm partial to Allweld and Blaser...with a tiller handle pump

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 19' SeaArk Stealth with a 90 Mercury 4 stroke. Really love the boat. I have it rigged for trolling and use it primarily for crappie fishing.

Here are a few pics after I mounted my rod holders.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually my boat has Aluma*Weld, but if you google Aluma-weld, it comes up as Alumaweld (without the hyphen).

But you are correct, Aluma*Weld lost a lawsuit to a another company over the right to use that name... thus the change to Xpress.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an 18 60 Xpress with a 40 hp Mercury 4stroke. I use it for everything water related and really like it. I especially like the rail system for rod holders,gun racks,etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to have a War Eagle and really liked that boat. I used to fish quite a bit out of a buddies Express and I would rank it behind the War Eagle and Seaark. I know own a Seaark Procat and it the best boat I've ever owned. Might want to take a look at those as well.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a nice rubber duck

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a 17 alumacraft with a 60/40 jet. I went tiller steer no floor between casting decks and then added in the console all the way at front to get weight like I wanted.

I would look at a few other things that haven't been mentioned. Mod v boats tend to run smoother than flat bottoms. And with a dead rise around 7 degrees run shallower and cleaner in jets(if that's what your looking for). Also look at the chines on the boat. Smooth and rounded chines are for mud motors and tend to slide in turns and sharper chines will catch on turns and handle more responsive with outboards.

Get plenty of motor. If your boat is rated for 90 then get 90. You will appreciate the power with a load.

I have fished from both brands you mentioned and both are nice boats. Either will make you happy. Lowe and alumacraft also make nice boats

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got a 18ft x 5ft wide Express Alumweld that I bought in 96 for duck hunting. Got an Evinrude 30 tiller, that does everthing I need on this boat. It's open between the front deck and rear bench, so I can put some folding chairs in the middle and makes a stable shooting platform when I mount my blind on it. It works great on the river getting through brush jams and sand bars. Also very stable when you hang up on a stump, very hard to turn over.

Problems:

It is heavy. That may not be a problem now days.
Arthritis in my shoulder is making it difficult to tiller steer.
The metal above water level gets very hot in the sunshine. Actually cooked an egg on bare front deck one time.
Flat bottom doesn't do well when wind and waves come up on a large lake, or when there is a bass tourment going on with all the 200+ HP jerks flying around the lake.

My fishing buddy and I are currently looking for a similar size with a steering console, live well, carpeted deck, and comfortable seats with sun shade. Also an easy load trailer. I guess cause we are getting older.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a Xpress in 2000 I think it is 18 ft 10 inches,and very wide. Has a 124 mercury . I will run about 50 MPH. Good ride smooth, and a very dry ride in all but the roughest of weather. They are as already mentioned very heavy. I have had it on Lake Erie, the Ohio River, and damn near everything in between. it should be the last boat I will ever buy.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Mallard, What is dirt cheap? My hunting pard is looking for a G3 or similar.

I want to say it is a newer 1760ish lowe, console, 50hp merchant 4 stroke, hummingbird fish finder, front and rear decks. I think he said around 7k

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.