Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi Canon,
<br>
<br>"I think Sheister/Stocker pegged it when they mentioned the bulge near the base."
<br>
<br>Not sure about that. The problem only occured after the cases were resized. Fired cases would chamber fine before they were resized.
<br>
<br>Anyway, I just posted the solution that we arrived at.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>
<br>Ted

HR IC

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Sheister!
<br>
<br>You are right about the cases lengthening. I had mentioned that in my original post.
<br>
<br>And I have bulged a few cases seating bullets, just as you describe, but these cases were hard chambering before they had a bullet seated.
<br>
<br>Thanks again for your reply,
<br>
<br>Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you got things sorted out. I've seen that a few times over the last 22 years of handloading and every time,it has been insufficient shoulder sizing. Now,work up some super loads and give us the skinny...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ted,
<br>
<br>You might consder shortening your die a tad, or getting another shellholder and grinding it down. That way you could use your current dies if you are so inclined.
<br>
<br>Blaine

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yukoner: I think if your die is a little sloppy (Max dimensioned) when you size a piece of brass the die allows the case to expand a bit down the sides and into the web area. If you are trying to set the shoulder back when doing this the brass moves down into that sloppy fit area. Was this one of Bevans chambers? He may keep things pretty tight from the get go. best.

IC B2

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"Was this one of Bevans chambers? He may keep things pretty tight from the get go."
<br>
<br>Yes, it was the Rem 700 I wrote about in another thread. It was a 30/06 and Bevan opened the bolt face, installed a SS bbl, and installed a Sako extractor.
<br>
<br>I have talked to him about it and he says he can chamber it another .005" deeper, if I want, but think I will leave it as it is for now. It shoots very, very well.
<br>
<br>Going to be having lunch with Tony this week. I'll say "Hi" for you.
<br>
<br>Ted
<br>
<br>

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yukoner and Stocker:
<br>The problem is that they chamber the barrels in a fairly warm shop and the heat produced makes the chamber measure a slight bit bigger then you send these things further up to the frozen north and the metal chills and the chamber becomes undersized due to the shrinkage, so I think Yukoner had better send it further south to a warmer climate and it will be fine.[Linked Image]
<br>Bill

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the great thing about this board- if you have a problem, it is pretty darned likely that someone here has also had that problem and is willing to share the fix with you. Sure beats paying a gunsmith every time something small comes up. Usually a little process of elimination and you've licked your problem and get back to shooting. Sure makes life easier, doesn't it? [Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes, but sometimes you don't know you have a problem, then that Big Stick fellows posts his various rifles in various flavours and next thing you know you have all sorts of problems on what to build next.[Linked Image]
<br>Bill

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the shell holder the same brand as the die?
<br>
<br>Try a different shell holder.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 3,350 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.