Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Seafire
traveling so spend time thinking driving down America's Highways and ByWays....

Why is it that the campfire's darling rifle seems to be the Ruger American.....

( which I look at as the rifle version of a Tasco Scope)

Yet low cost optics that work just fine... ( such as a Tasco Scope ) are flamed, and good quality optics start out with Leupold scopes and go up from there....

Just think the two extreme is kind of Ironic.

I have two Ruger Americans... yeah they may be accurate, but are real cheaply made, and feel ever more cheaper than they look...and the accuracy is kind of useless unless you don't mind single shooting them, since their magazines come with a JamAmatic feature at no extra cost.....

Give me a Model 70 with a Tasco World Class on top over a Ruger American with a Leupold Rifleman or VX2 on top....

and others opinions are?........

( and lets try to answer the question vs respond with the usual campfire slams, question someone's intelligence etc... )

The rifle can be no more capable than its sighting system allows it to be. I want a scope that adjust like it should, holds zero and returns to zero, no matter what it costs. Fortunately, there are some that will do that and not cost you your first born son. I have had some not inexpensive scopes fail me though.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, thanks. Yours is an interesting question and it has received the anticipated wide variety of opinons/experiences. IMHE, the abilities among shooters vary as much as the replies. I might have answered differently 45 years ago but, at this point, my eyesight, etc. are probably as determinant as the equipment - maybe moreso.

There is some rather expensive stuff here and some that was seen as "cheap" when it was made quite a while ago - but no rifles that have been made cheaply more recently. Only one non-wood stock, and that happened for a good reason. Over a period of almost 60 years, only one scope has failed and, in that case, the entire windage adjustment setup simply fell apart.

A lot of water has gone under the bridge. If a rifle here functions as it should and shoots dead-nuts great with whatever scope is on it (and some are "cheap"), expert opinion, high-end brand, market value,etc. are not in mind.

Have a great trip.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
...The rifle can be no more capable than its sighting system allows it to be... John

Can't the positions of the two, rifle and sighting system, be reversed in that statement and it remain just as true?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sure it can. But not uncommon nowadays to find relatively inexpensive rifles that shoot pretty well. A bunch of folks have found good accuracy from Savages, Ruger Americans etc.

Combine a scope that tracks as it should, returns to zero and holds zero with a reasonably good shooting rifle and you can do things that would have most mainstream hunters shake their heads in amazement.

Generally speaking, if you're starting with an inexpensive rifle that shoots well, you'll spend more on the optics than the rifle if you want the qualities I've listed above. SWFA is the obvious exception.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You're very lucky. I've had a Nikon go "sproing" and several Leupold scopes go bad, mostly by losing their ability to track well. I've noted that the 3x9 Leupolds seem to be particularly bad about tracking properly. Up 4 clicks moves POI 2" up and 1" right, things like that.

That happens mostly because the crosshairs aren't properly leveled.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've often mused that, if Rugers were manufactured by the "Murray Z. Finkelstein Rifle Company," they wouldn't possess a fraction of the cachet they seem to enjoy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It probably brands me as a hopeless Luddite, but I'm a set-and-forget user. I don't expect hunting scopes to stand up to being run up and down the dial and don't need them to either. I'd get an SS for such work. The other well-known Leupold virtues are more important to me. I've had some others that were fine in most ways, but their eye-relief and eyebox shortcomings showed up in the woods.

I've seen some good things said about the current Weaver Ks, so if I were trying to save money, I might give one of them a shot.
I've got several Weaver classic K's and V's and can't tell much difference optically between them and my Leupold vx-1's. If anything the Weavers might be a tad better. The Leups eye relief is noticeably longer than the Weavers but the adjustments are better/more positive in the Weavers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, lever-action Finklestein in 45 Rappaport

abusus non tollit usum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x on my Ruger American .243. It seems to be a good combination and shoots well. What's not to like?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the universe of under $400 rifles, I liked the discontinued Marlin X guns in both their OEM configurations and with Savage 110 series replacement barrels installed on them. Most of my X guns have Bushnell 3200 and Simmons Whitetail Classic scopes mounted via B-Square rings and the Weaver-style bases that came on the rifles.

I don't care for the Remington 783s. They are ugly and, for me, they don't sell for enough less than 700 ADLs to offer any particular incentive to buy them.

I have 9 RAR-Predators and like them in their OEM configurations, but like them a little more when they're bedded in Boyds Heritage style laminated stocks. My RAR-Predators have Nikon and Sightron scopes mounted via Warne rings and the Weaver-style bases that came on the rifles.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My collection of "modern affordable" rifles includes the following:

Ruger American .22 Magnum standard model, 4-16x Kruger Optical K4.

Ruger American .223 Remington standard model, 2.5-10x Nikon Monarch 3.

Ruger American .243 Winchester All-Weather, 10x40 Bushnell Tactical.

Savage Axis with .22-250 factory and .250 Savage E.R. Shaw barrels,
3-9x Redfield Revolution.

Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor Predator, 3-9x Burris Fullfield II 30mm.

Ruger American .300 Blackout Ranch, 4x Spartan Mk4 Nightvision.

T/C Venture Compact .308 Winchester, 6x38 Weaver K6.

Oh, and a Remington 722 .257 Roberts with 6x36 Leupold M8. The 722/721 was the rifle shooters complained about being "cheap" back in the day, but is now considered a classic. There's also a Marlin 81 with a Colorado-made 4x Redfield.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Worse scope i have seen was the Challenger line from Weaver,when they were trying to keep up with all of the import scopes back in the 80's.

best cheapest scope i have is one sold by K-Mart around the same time.
I have Weaver,Redfield,Simmons and Leopold and they each have their place.

just need to find a rifle for the 12x fixed leopold now.

I forgot some Nikon scopes back when they were first put on the market,got 12 for 125.00 ea.and wished i had bought more.

Last edited by plainsman456; 09/13/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Ruger American Predator I 6.5 Creedmoor a while ago. The main reason I bought the rifle was that I had about 1,000 123 gr Scenars left over from another rifle. Seemed like a better alternative than selling the bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting thread. The last rifle I purchased was a bargain rifle that I got a great deal on. A Cabela's special Savage 10T tactical in .308 Win that cost me just $429 after rebate. I then did something unprecedented, at least for me. I spent almost double the price of the rifle for the scope, grabbing a Leupold Mark 4, 4.5-14x40 LR/T with mil-dot reticle on sale at the local Sportsman's Warehouse.
I try to go mid range on my scopes, favoring Leupold and Redfields. But also have gone bargain hunting on both quality (Zeiss Conquest 3-9x for $279 on sale) and price ( a pair of Intensity 6.5-20x44 scopes for $89 each on closeout. They work fine, btw) My favorite "cheap rig" is my Marlin XL7 in .270 Win, which wears a Nitrex 3-9x40. The rifle is a tack driver, light and easy to carry. I think I spent $239 for the rifle and $99 for the scope. It typically outshoots my Model 70 .270WSM with a Zeiss Conquest.
One of my buddies, who I respect greatly, said he would much rather have a $1000 scope on a $100 rifle than a $100 scope on a $1000 rifle, because you have to see the target in order to shoot it. He is a die hard Leupold fan. I'm n the futue, I will probably buy Leupolds, but I have no plans to replace any of my Vortex, Nikon, Burris, Nitrex, or even my Intensity scopes at this time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Does the item do the job it's intended to do regardless of cost? If so, it's good.

You mention your RAR jams, well, feeding is a primary function of a rifle so I'd say that rifle doesn't work no matter what the cost. FWIW, I have what was a jamamatic .22-250 RAR but simply getting a new magazine changed it to a reliable feeder.

My RAR .308 functions perfectly, the OP can replace a magazine real cheap, or whittle on it until it works.

If I were trying to limit myself to only a few rifles, I would only buy the more established models. But that is not the case, so I have some cheapies like Tikka and RAR and they both work smoothly, and are among my accurate "keeper" rifles.

I usually buy scopes because of the clarity and reticle choices. The way I decide which rifle to hunt depends on the reticle for the area.

I bought a Trijicon lighted green dot with plex reticle which costs nearly twice as much as my RAR, and I like the combo and will probably keep them paired this way for stuff like hogs.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
I would think that if you shoot at long range regularly and have a cheap rifle that will reliably group your shots into 1/2-3/4 MOA, why not put the best scope on it that you can afford--especially if it is chambered for a cartridge that generates significant amount of recoil with the loads that you use. I don't shoot a lot at long ranges and I can't warm up to cheap rifles. Most of my preferred scopes start with the mid-range Leupolds and their equivalents and go up from there. But, hey, it's not your money so why worry about it?

I was going to post on this thread but saw this and now I don't need to, my sentiments exactly.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was in my LGS, and had just installed a S&B on a M70 EW 300 WSM. There were two African pros on some kind of promotional tour and one guy yelled to the other "Look at this rifle...this guy got it "right"!"

Now the EW is not a "cheap" rifle but these guys were Mauser snobs from Africa... smile

Read what you want into that.... but both said Americans get it all backwards in that they hunt with expensive rifles but second rate optics and "cheap" scopes.

One said their big Kudu were mostly all killed at dark and to them the Zeiss, Swaro and S&B optics were what they liked to see clients carry. They said you don't need expensive rifles; put the money in great optics and reliable mechanics.

Hey I did't say it.....they did. whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had inexpensive rifles that would outshoot rifles that were considered top of the line, and I've had inexpensive ones that were junk as far as I'm concerned. Same way with scopes. I have had very good results with an old Tasco World Class and a Simmons 44 Mag, and consider them to be very reliable glass. On the other hand, I've had some expensive scopes that did not live up to their billing. But, for the most part, you get what you pay for.....and that applies to everything. As to the old saying that you have to see it before you can shoot it, which implies that you need a more expensive scope than a rifle, if that rifle is not reliable and accurate, then the best scope in the world isn't going to help you.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
You're very lucky. I've had a Nikon go "sproing" and several Leupold scopes go bad, mostly by losing their ability to track well. I've noted that the 3x9 Leupolds seem to be particularly bad about tracking properly. Up 4 clicks moves POI 2" up and 1" right, things like that.

That happens mostly because the crosshairs aren't properly leveled.

He probably flashed his headlights at a drag ass in the left lane on the way to the range too.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I was in my LGS, and had just installed a S&B on a M70 EW 300 WSM. There were two African pros on some kind of promotional tour and one guy yelled to the other "Look at this rifle...this guy got it "right"!"

Now the EW is not a "cheap" rifle but these guys were Mauser snobs from Africa... smile

Read what you want into that.... but both said Americans get it all backwards in that they hunt with expensive rifles but second rate optics and "cheap" scopes.

One said their big Kudu were mostly all killed at dark and to them the Zeiss, Swaro and S&B optics were what they liked to see clients carry. They said you don't need expensive rifles; put the money in great optics and reliable mechanics.

Hey I did't say it.....they did. whistle

I could not agree more!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,116
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.