Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Like the Ruger rifles with the Zytel stocks, I expect the 20" barreled rifles chambered for the .338RCM will become more sought after over time.

Ha!

Laugh it you want. My three Zytel stocked rifles are worth far more than I paid for them and what they would be with the walnut or newer synthetic stocks. Not too long ago people would have predicted they would be worth less than the others. (As did the retailers who let them go cheap.)

Coyote Hunter is right. Look at all the complaining people did about the Zytel stocks, and now they are double what they were new. People compained about the Mk II models, so Ruger brought out the Hawkeyes and people want the Mk II's now. If you want a 338 RCM, buy it now, and the brass.

I have 4 boat paddles, so I am no stranger to their allure.

But the RCM's ain't goin nowhere but to the very bottom of the popularity list. Mark my word.

That'll boost their value I would think. Anyone who want to shoot one can buy enough brass to last two lifetimes and not have to worry about it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by longbarrel
I believe that the .338 RCM or -06 fills a significant spot. Until someone brings out moderately priced commercial versions of the .338-06, the Ruger .338 RCM does nicely even though it requires one brand of brass. It remains a fact that very few over-.30 cartridges gain any popularity with recoil-shy Americans, out of the larger handful that are worthy. Remington has failed several times with the .350 mag and .35 Whelen, two cartridges with similar performance to their .338 counterparts.

Fills a significant spot?

Like significant enough that you can't find an RCM in most gun stores?

Yeah that spot was real significant alright.....

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I believe that the .338 RCM or -06 fills a significant spot. Until someone brings out moderately priced commercial versions of the .338-06, the Ruger .338 RCM does nicely even though it requires one brand of brass. It remains a fact that very few over-.30 cartridges gain any popularity with recoil-shy Americans, out of the larger handful that are worthy. Remington has failed several times with the .350 mag and .35 Whelen, two cartridges with similar performance to their .338 counterparts.

You won't find a 35 Whelen either but a lot of guys love them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a time when you couldn't find .22-250 or .25-06 either. At that time people could have argued they didn't "fill a significant need" but to argue that they would have to argue it for the present time as well.

There is no way I would contend the .338RCM will reach their level of popularity but I do think the 20" version fills a need. Yesterday I mounted a scope on the synthetic stocked, 20" barreled Ruger Hawkeye that will be a wedding present for son-in-law #3. While handling it I was impressed with its light weight and balance and couldn't help think what a joy it would be to carry during elk season. Its like my synthetic stocked, 16.1" Ruger Scout on steroids and probably just as light due to the thinner barrel.

While a lot of folks would turn there nose up at such a rifle, I'm thinking it will be pretty darn useful and versatile.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/13/16. Reason: Add pic

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

You won't find a 35 Whelen either but a lot of guys love them.

I've seen a lot more Whelens than RCMs

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.