-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Northern Nevada is horribly overrun with wild horses right now. I've already hit one with my truck one late night coming around a blind corner. At least 2 days a week when I come out my front door, they will either be horses on my street, in my yard, or just around the corner. Drive through suburban neighborhoods around me and there is horse droppings EVERYWHERE. At our local park, if the kids want to play, they have to run the horses off first.

When we setup the fields for soccer games, the fist job is to clean up all the horse droppings...and there's a LOT of them.

I like the wild horses, but this is getting very much out of hand.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cattle do not crop grass off at the ground. They only have lower jaw front teeth, the upper is smooth gum in the front. Therefore they leave some grass where they graze. Of course they have upper and lower jaw molars once they get ready to chew the cud later. If you have enough grass for one animal and have a horse and a cow, the horse will stay fat and the cow will starve. As for cows not being native species. Well bison are, and they can successfully breed with cows. For all practical purposes they have about the same impact on grazing land which by the way is all a lot of this world's land is fit for. Considering that Latin Americans like horse meat (among others) and all of the dogs and zoo animals that have to be fed it would be a shame to euthanize and dispose of this much animal protein.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Them horses made good dog food.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by BarryC
Maybe they ought to let the population expand until it busts.
They're destroying our rangeland and it can take decades to recover. Do you have idea how much 45,000 horses can eat?

The same amount as 45,000 head of cattle. I don't have an answer that would make everyone happy. Actually an open season on them for consumption is a good option. But not sure" animal lovers" would not protest and block any goverment attempt to allow it.

Takes more pasture for a horse than it does a cow.

Shoot them all. (the horses). I have ridden a few mustangs that were actually fairly decent rides. but a pain in the ass barely covers the training. And upkeep.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Horses' teeth bite the grass off at the ground, unlike cattle. If they overgraze, the grass is severely damaged.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back in the late 1970's several of us "adopted" some of the mustangs from the adoption center at Cross Plains, TN. We were all into breaking and training horses, and thought it would be a cool thing to do it. If I remember correctly, the adoption fee was around $150. Total and complete waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned. The horses I saw didn't compare favorably at all to the Quarter Horses we were used to dealing with, and were kicking and biting fools. Although I'm pretty sure that some people have good luck training their mustangs, I wouldn't do it again if Kate Upton was there to help me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RWE
How are they scored?

For trophy purposes?

Cock size.

No stretching.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by BarryC
Maybe they ought to let the population expand until it busts.
They're destroying our rangeland and it can take decades to recover. Do you have idea how much 45,000 horses can eat?

It wouldn't stay that number for long...

With virtually no natural predators, wild horse and burro herd sizes can double about every four years, which means that thousands of the animals are removed from the range each year to control herd sizes and protect the land.

There are far too many people that don't understand that a wild horse isn't a pet. Hell, any horse isn't a pet. But wild ones especially.

They have captured enough wild horse that the horse market was flooded, this is killing the horse industry. In my opinion there should be no wild horses in this country. They are not native to this continent.

Horses can most certainly be pets.

Neither are humans or cattle. Cattle got here the same way horses did.

Humans? Really?

Cattle aren't allowed to run wild and compete with our wild game and are not protected by the government.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Horses' teeth bite the grass off at the ground, unlike cattle. If they overgraze, the grass is severely damaged.

Horses eat short grass cows eat long grass

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Neither are humans or cattle. Cattle got here the same way horses did.

Really. I hadn't heard we had a feral cattle problem. Feral humans. Well that's another matter altogether. We seem to have plenty of them.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

Horses eat short grass cows eat long grass
After the horses eat the long grass, they eat the rest to the ground.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ive heard of people buying healthy young wild horses at auction for pennies/lb and turning them into damn good jerky... Id do it but my girlfriend would probably move out!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Derek
Ive heard of people buying healthy young wild horses at auction for pennies/lb and turning them into damn good jerky... Id do it but my girlfriend would probably move out!

Win/win.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a movie on Netflix called Unbranded. Pretty good flick about wild horses and trail riding.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Part of the problem is the "old west" is gone. The one where cowboys rode and indians hunted buffalo, and there was some elbow room. Now we have people who look at the romance of wild horses, don't understand rangeland and grazing. What wild horses I have seen I enjoyed, can't say that about cattle, except some longhorns and bison that were an exception. Not to mention sheep. This does not affect my livelihood, just recreation.
Cattle do compete with game, no question.

When they allowed processing, there were too many people trying to eradicate all the horsesfor profit, now it has swung the other way.

I am sure there are some young helathy people who would ban everything except no trace walking in most areas, the rest of us be damned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
45,000 horses is a Lot of $$ Frenchy food...

We used to sell em to the Canuks until Mustang Annie and her ilk decided they were too cute to eat....

And Barry is spot on that those inbreed dinks seldom turn into good pets let alone saddle horses...

Really? Seen quite a few and that's just here in SoCal.

Folks in No NV who have watched the damage wild horses have done to their range land for the last half century would be happy to see you and your SoCal neighbors come and get em all.....

In other words....just like everyone else in SoCal....you don't have a f ucking clue as to what makes a good horse....

Or anything else for that matter.....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/14/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kennyd
.....What wild horses I have seen I enjoyed....

That's because you didn't pay enough attention to notice the vast damage they are doing to land they occupy. Or - you simply don't care.

More emotional politics......

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

They have lots of adoption rules to prevent that, like not getting title for a year. But it has happened, more than a few end up in a canadian slaughter house. As far as I'm concerned they need to slaughter the excess and sell the meat rather than feed them in a pen forever. Ship them over to Europe, use the money to fund range management.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Win/win.

Dave

Makes a good story but you don't just drive up to the corrals and take one home with you....
Not only is there the usual burecratic gubment BS but they also inspect your facilities and do surprise follow up visits.....

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
These horses aren't pets.

They aren't romantic.

They are inbred, parasite infested, very small, useless, wild feral animals. If one or two in a hundred can be broken and ridden to any extent, I would be shocked.

There don't need to be tags sold. That would lead to regulation, laws, and whatever else they can regulate.

They need to be shot on sight like coyotes.

Put a bounty on them even. That would be cheaper than dealing with a live one.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (160user, 257Bob, 300jimmy, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 56 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,445
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.