-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost forgot about my old Camo Mossberg 835 with 3 1/2" #4 turkey loads. I had a friend that was basically a non shooter and commented that no one should hate to shoot a shotgun since there was no scope to worry about cutting you. After a few cold beers he forgot about his comment and our talk. I handed him my 835 and well lets just say he had a red face and knot/bruise pop up on his cheekbone. He now understands!

Last edited by TN deer hunter; 09/18/16.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
years ago when I was doing a lot of center fire silhouette shooting my scores went down as recoil took its toll on me. So, I experimented with stock design as a way to mitigate recoil. For me, a thumb hole seemed to help. I think my right hand and arm helped to absorb a bit of the recoil in a way that most other stocks deigns couldn't.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The worst kicking rifle I've ever shot was a cousin's Browning BAR in .270, that thing hurt me. Being a gas operated autoloader and in an effeminate round like the .270 it shouldn't kick much at all, but the stock design was awful and it kicked the snot out of me.

Same here. Bought my Dad a Rem 7400 in .270W. It slapped the snot outta me. Had a a head ache after 9 shots. At the same time, had a LH Savage 110 chambered 7 Rem Mag that I could comfortably shoot for as long as I could afford the ammo.

Hated .270's for a long time until I bought a LH bolt rifle in .270 with the intention of rebarreling. Made the mistake of "shooting the donor". Now own more .270's than any other chambering...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I do not like Kimber Montana's chambered for WSM cartridges.

I don't care for most McMillans in anything 300 mag and up except an Echols Legend, which tames the beasts.

Generally anything with a Monte Carlo comb sucks unless it is properly designed and the cartridge does not recoil too badly.

Weatherby stocks REALLY suck. smile

Interesting and shows how we are all different. For me, Weatherby stocks are pretty user friendly, though I don't own one at the moment. My favorite stocks are Browns, bansners, Kimbers and I have a Manners EH-6 I am liking.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DMD: Weatherby stocks can be comfortable to shoot in some calibers. The comb is sloped to direct recoil away from the face ,since your cheek is on the side of the comb more so than the top of it.

But the things I don't like is that the configuration of the stock cause the muzzle to rise as opposed to being more straight back. With hard kickers and some field positions that muzzle jump may get you a Weatherby eyebrow. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bob, Interestingly enough, the stock I can't control muzzle rise on are NULAs, and I have been hit in field positions with Leupolds with them. I suspect it is combination of pitch angle and grip angle. Weatherbys have never done that to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't want to shoot either of my shotguns prone.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Husky H-5000 in 7RM that feels like it recoils far less than other 7RM's I've had and shot. My Kimber Montana's have also felt the same way.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I wouldn't want to shoot either of my shotguns prone.

Anybody remeber the 10 gauge single shot Turkey Specials that H&R made during the mid 1980's ? Those beasts were friggin BRUTAL!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
The relationship between felt recoil and stock fit is the whole basket of berries. If it fits properly even the big bores are fun. If not....well just how masochistic are you?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^And ALL this +1000.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

gunner, the first time I shot your model 71 348 Winchester, I thought damn that is a puzzy cat. I always heard the 71 kicked hard, but such was not the case with that rifle...

That ole '71 i got from You is pure Badass BSA, yes, it's mild mannered enough, but, on firing, I can feel through that old steel butt the pure hell I'm unleashing, only 2350 fps, but those 250 gr Barnes' are some hard hammering sombucks inside 150. cool

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I had a wood stock Winchester model 70 in a .270 that felt like Mike Tyson had punched me in the jaw and arm every time I pulled the trigger. That SOB left and was replaced with a Sako in 300 WM which was nothing compared to the .270.

Yes, believe it or not Coach, I had a little 45 cal Seneca or Cherokee T/C muzzle loader that would belt me right under the right cheekbone with every shot, after five or six shots I had a damn headache. crazygrin

That was a 45 cal round ball or light weight T/C maxi-ball with only 90 gr of black powder. lol

I have a 45 Cherokee and it is exactly the same using a maxi-ball and only 70 grains of powder. Recoil is nothing to the shoulder but it seems to get a running start before it catches my cheekbone. Put it together from a kit with my Dad and killed my first deer with it when I was a kid so I'll never get rid of it...stock fit better and it didn't punch me like that when I was a kid. I won't say it recoils the most, but it's the most uncomfortable rifle I own to shoot.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well I just brought home another older M77 from my dad's safe, as it's one he doesn't shoot anymore. It's a tang-safety .338WinMag in the walnut stock, although there is a Limbsaver in place of the red pad at the original LOP. He shoots his 700 LSS .338 these days, so I'll take this one and have it cut/crowned at 22", and rustle up some rings and a scope. I sighted in the rifle for him a few years back with a 210gr/65grRL15/2900fps load and I don't remember it being too bad. I'll be curious to see how it treats me in comparison to the M77 7RemMag.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If you have a thing for getting belted then load up a Brno model 21, that light stock will just about cut you in half.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep, traded for a Browning Abolt Medallion in 30-06 that was unrealistically light in perceived recoil even with 180s at full throttle. It was too pretty for me to hunt, so I sold it cheap to a good friend. He called me up and told me he couldn't believe how light it recoiled and that his 7 year old boy loved shooting it! His boy went on to take his first buck with it shortly there after.

On the opposite end of the spectrum. Had a 300WSM Savage 16 with hard butt plate that was down right painful. Damn thing reminded me of shooting 3.5 turkey loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My stepson had an A Bolt Medallion .30-'06. It was the mildest '06 I ever shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took my 7mm RM Ruger 77 added a half inch recoil pad. I shot a few 139 grain bullet -loads. The tiny little butt plate with this added pad felt better. But the stock still smacked my cheek. First I looked at Boyd's stocks. Then I've decided that I'll change the shape of the comb. The stock is sloped so that as the rifle recoils the stock rams into my cheek. It hits my face with great force twisting my face and giving me the recoil head ache I've been reading about.

I'll change the slope and shift the comb so that it will slope away while the rifle is in recoil. If that doesn't work I'll have fire wood, which is more useful than that factory 77 stock.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Years ago, I shot my old boss's 77 in a 7 Rem Mag and was amazed at how light the felt recoil was. I've been shooting 77's since 1980 in various calibers and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the one I shot in a 284 Win. was far and away the worst. That thing was punishing. But, I've shot that caliber in a couple of old Win. 100's and have concluded it has more to do with the caliber than the rifle. I have recently acquired a Hawkeye in a 264 Win. Mag. and am anxious to shoot it. Not because I want to see how much recoil, it is just a caliber I used to read about when I was a child growing up in the 60's and have always wanted one. Oh, and I have a 77UL in a 270 that I got off a little wiry guy who had to go to the chiropractor every time he shot it. It doesn't bother me. I agree with those who say it has a lot to do with which stock fits a person the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
270 in Melvin Forbes excellent stock- felt like a 243 or softer. The 270 ain't a hard kicker by any measure but his stock design really fits me and I can tell a big difference in how it tames recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew the engineer that designed a great over and under shotgun. He was lean with a narrow face and high cheek bones. I ended up with one of the shotguns he designed, but a bit of wood was removed from the stock before I could shoot it.

Most rifles fit me fine. But another rifle that doesn't is a military stocked M98. My face is pushed hard into the comb to get the military sights lined up. I wanted to keep that as issued, but...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I had a wood stock Winchester model 70 in a .270 that felt like Mike Tyson had punched me in the jaw and arm every time I pulled the trigger. That SOB left and was replaced with a Sako in 300 WM which was nothing compared to the .270.

Yes, believe it or not Coach, I had a little 45 cal Seneca or Cherokee T/C muzzle loader that would belt me right under the right cheekbone with every shot, after five or six shots I had a damn headache. crazygrin

That was a 45 cal round ball or light weight T/C maxi-ball with only 90 gr of black powder. lol

I have a 45 Cherokee and it is exactly the same using a maxi-ball and only 70 grains of powder. Recoil is nothing to the shoulder but it seems to get a running start before it catches my cheekbone. Put it together from a kit with my Dad and killed my first deer with it when I was a kid so I'll never get rid of it...stock fit better and it didn't punch me like that when I was a kid. I won't say it recoils the most, but it's the most uncomfortable rifle I own to shoot.

That's funny JCM, I thought, man, this will be a nice handy light little muzzle loader for tight thicket hunting, BS, those bustards are rude as hell. grin

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 46 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,591
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.