Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mike,
I always look forward to your posts. The transplanted Alaskan has some serious issues most likely a result of being dropped on his head as a baby.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Elk are listed as a non-game animal in Texas.

To hunt anything in Texas, you must have a simple hunting license. But no further fees or tags are required. No draws either...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by specneeds
I'll admit when I saw Texas and elk I thought it would have to be high fence, didn't have an idea there were free ranging elk in West Texas.

Is there any public land in that part of Texas that they cross or is everything large ranches? This One of my favorite things about elk hunting in the Rocky Mountains is the fact that they migrate over or live on public land and that you don't have to be a cattle or oil Baron to shoot a nice bull, just willing to put in some miles in the hills and woods.

Is the same true in Texas or is access pretty much determined by checking account balance? This To be fair the outfitter seems like they do try and make it fairly affordable and out of state elk hunting isn't cheap even on public land.

Fee to hunt the elk in this thread is about 15 times more than what a non resident would pay in Idaho, and about 170 times more than a resident.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Fee to hunt in the elk in this thread is about 15 times more than what a non resident would pay in Idaho, and about 170 times more than a resident.

Living in a free country has it's benefits.

You certainly aren't forced to go.

And the landowner isn't forced to let you trespass on his land, and kill stuff. wink

But to be fair, this is a guided hunt with lodging and meals included.

What does a multi-day guided elk hunt in Idaho, on private land, with lodging and meals cost?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep, here we're free to make a choice, there you pay or don't play.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Fee to hunt the elk in this thread is about 15 times more than what a non resident would pay in Idaho, and about 170 times more than a resident.

And on 6x6 bull elk probably 85% more successful.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by specneeds
I'll admit when I saw Texas and elk I thought it would have to be high fence, didn't have an idea there were free ranging elk in West Texas.

Is there any public land in that part of Texas that they cross or is everything large ranches? This One of my favorite things about elk hunting in the Rocky Mountains is the fact that they migrate over or live on public land and that you don't have to be a cattle or oil Baron to shoot a nice bull, just willing to put in some miles in the hills and woods.

Is the same true in Texas or is access pretty much determined by checking account balance? This To be fair the outfitter seems like they do try and make it fairly affordable and out of state elk hunting isn't cheap even on public land.

I have neighbors in Idaho that have killed same for the cost of a tag, gas and food. Of course they we hunting where nothing was guaranteed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

So.

Again.

What does a guided hunt on private land with meals included for several days cost?

No answer?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

So.

Again.

What does a guided hunt on private land with meals included for several days cost?

No answer?

Whoosh!

And the choice in texas is?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
there is public land open to hunting in that part of the state but its pretty much draw only there like a lot of other western states.

Here's a list of the draw hunts for this year, including aoudad, oryx, axis, gemsbock and waterbuck. I believe the Devils' River unit is one of the one's that hold elk. $3 for the drawing application and $130 for the tag if drawn.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntw...ing/hunt-category-details.phtml?OCat=EXO

[edited because left referenced link off the first time]

Last edited by Kellywk; 09/28/16.
IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice bulls Mike I always like your posts!

Walt & 700LH not so much...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one on this end GAF if anyone likes it or not.
I have hunted and shot elk on public land, on private land. Have worked and spent plenty of time on ranches and private land that had elk there. Said critters were free to travel from Canada to Mexico if they so desired, but to try and say these hunts are truly free range is about as truthful as the Clinton campaign. I know a little about killing critters in that kinda situation.
Then again maybe that is how you guys see it in Texas, just don't expect everyone to swallow that BS.

BTW if I wanna go shoot a trophy elk and pay several thousand dollars all I gotta do is pay the bucks, drive about a hour and do it. There is even have a cabin for me to stay in if I want.. Then I can have it mounted, put on my wall and tell folks what a great hunter I am,,, just look everbody at the elk I kilt.
Gimmie a [bleep] break

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Just a quick google,the prices are $4000 up to $9000 for a guided(1 guide-2 hunters) elk/deer hunt in Idaho. That was just two outfitters I looked at.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
700lh:

How are the ones OP put up not free range? Unless you consider bob wire a high fence

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Are those Texas elk eligible for the Pope and Young or Boone and Crockett book?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would they not be? Elk are native to Texas and these elk are free to roam all the way to Wa. state.

Of course they have more sense than to do it.

They are not as tame as the elk I've seen in Eastern Montana while deer hunting and those are eligible.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No one on this end GAF if anyone likes it or not.
I have hunted and shot elk on public land, on private land. Have worked and spent plenty of time on ranches and private land that had elk there. Said critters were free to travel from Canada to Mexico if they so desired, but to try and say these hunts are truly free range is about as truthful as the Clinton campaign. I know a little about killing critters in that kinda situation.
Then again maybe that is how you guys see it in Texas, just don't expect everyone to swallow that BS.

You don't "know" jack schidt.

The elk out in west Texas are indeed free range.

Elk were all but non-existent in southern NM years ago. They transplanted a good number of elk into the Lincoln Natl. Forest and the Mescalero Apache reservation.

These elk range in the Sacrameto Mtns. now. As populations increased and food and habitat decreased, the elk moved along the mountain range to the south, following the Brokoffs, and into Texas.

If they moved 2-300 miles, it seems to fit the definition of "free range" to me.

They used to come through parts of our west Texas ranch as well. I damn sure didn't fence them in or out.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Here ya go, mensen.
https://www.westtexashunt.com/exotic-hunts.html

It's a shame your wife doesn't let you talk at home.

Probably how he "knows" dimascraps aren't after our guns.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pay per hunt $7500 elk, yep, free range.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ol' Mannlicher has a thread about Nebraska "wild rice".
HA! "Fenced in" rice since the day it sprouted. SOB!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,203
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.