-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have shot the HST 124+P and the 147 out of a g19 from approx 5 feet and both were stopped in the 3rd jug....did yours go through the 3rd?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
The 124+P Gold dots seem to hold up well against bone and tissue
gold dots are great, but the bonded bullet doesnt allow for sharp, jagged petals...The HST mushrooms just as reliably as the gold dot but I like the sharp "talons" FWIW

my feeling is they will create more trauma in soft tissue but i cant prove it

HST on left, GOld dot on right
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/20/16.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, both of them went through all 3 jugs at 7 yards. I really need to chronograph these and see how fast the short barrel throws them. All the tests I've seen has stopped them in the 3rd jug, really surprised me that they both went through. Surprised me even more that we found them just a foot or so away behind the 3rd jug.

Widest expansion on the HST was .667 and the sharp petals do look mean.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i have shot the HST 124+P and the 147 out of a g19 from approx 5 feet and both were stopped in the 3rd jug....did yours go through the 3rd?

Lower velocity from his shorter barrel probably resulted in a little more penetration. That's a pretty repeatable phenomenon that I've seen in a bunch of my own testing.

Re. the sharp petals above - personally I think that's a bit overrated. Water jug or other media testing is useful, but remember that neither of those bullets will look that clean and pretty when fired into meat and bone.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
This round seems to have very high remarks for SD use in 9x19.

I know they make standard and +P for each, I have seen results in tests showing larger expansion for the slower heavier 147. Also it shoots only about 50 fps different in two loadings, perhaps in a shorter barrel. I hear it jumps less and recoils less than the faster 124 loadings.

1) Do many of you 9 fans load up with 147's for SD?

2) Would barrel length affect which load you use?

I researched this a week or so ago, and was surprised to find that the +P 147 grain HST actually had poorer performance than the standard pressure.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Originally Posted by gitem_12
The 124+P Gold dots seem to hold up well against bone and tissue
gold dots are great, but the bonded bullet doesnt allow for sharp, jagged petals...The HST mushrooms just as reliably as the gold dot but I like the sharp "talons" FWIW

my feeling is they will create more trauma in soft tissue but i cant prove it

HST on left, GOld dot on right
[Linked Image]
When they were "Black Talon" the petals were even more fearsome in appearance, and likely caused even more trauma, but the liberals thought that we shouldn't be able to do that much damage on criminals, so they outlawed them. Or, perhaps just intimidated the manufacturer to stop making them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
When they were "Black Talon" the petals were even more fearsome in appearance, and likely caused even more trauma, but the liberals thought that we shouldn't be able to do that much damage on criminals, so they outlawed them.

Just a point of clarification, the HST is the new Federal bullet and never was a Black Talon. Black Talon was a Winchester bullet and the currently available PC version is called the Ranger SXT.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 09/21/16.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Just a point of clarification, the HST is the new Federal bullet and never was a Black Talon. Black Talon was a Winchester bullet and the currently available PC version is called the Ranger SXT.
Thanks for the clarification. Are the Ranger SXTs available for civilian sale?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When they were "Black Talon" the petals were even more fearsome in appearance, and likely caused even more trauma, but the liberals thought that we shouldn't be able to do that much damage on criminals, so they outlawed them. Or, perhaps just intimidated the manufacturer to stop making them.
Black Talon's didn't really do any more damage than a conventional HP, they just looked wicked. In the famous shooting that caused Winchester to pull them from the shelves, the trauma surgeon noted how wicked the bullet looked, but said there was really nothing different about the wound channel.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Black Talon's didn't really do any more damage than a conventional HP, they just looked wicked. In the famous shooting that caused Winchester to pull them from the shelves, the trauma surgeon noted how wicked the bullet looked, but said there was really nothing different about the wound channel.
A little hard to believe.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the Ranger SXT's look wicked when they expand, unfotunately they do rather poorly through denim from what ive seen, HST and GOld DOts much more reliable in the dept. one would think as the bullet is spinning, those petals would act like saws but maybe they dont add any appreciable trauma

RANGER EXPANDED:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/21/16.

― George Orwell, 1984
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I'd rather get hit by an FMJ, than those above wink

Better yet, not hit at all smile

Re: the +P being less in the 147 HST test, I fathom "It all depends" - on bbl length/velocity on impact.

Other factors like shot to shot recovery time, and flash at night, etc. might be considered as well. I would guess all HST's are bad news if placed in the vitals.

Now if you add a barrier, car glass/door and/or clothing, then you start complicating the ammo selection process, as some do better thru obstacles enroute to flesh, and yes gel tests are different, though a consistent medium to do testing.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot both the Gold Dots and HST's at dark and neither provided any noticeable flash.

The Ranger SXT's are available to civilians and is what I was carrying, key word "was".

Last edited by TWR; 09/21/16.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So now you carry HST or Gold Dots? 3.1" Shield?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
HST's, Shield.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
The better 9/147's are comparable to a 38 +P/158/LSWCHP. That round settled a LOT of hash and developed a good reputation in the process.

I would definitely take the 147.

this thread made me again peruse the 47th lyman book on cast bullets in the throne room this morning, and compare the 147grain 9mm against the 158grain 38special. Awful similar in weight and velocity leading one to say all the 9mm offers is a hicap 38special in that bullet weight. Now i was fooling with some 155grain gas checked Lyman 358156keith style bullets a couple of months ago, can be loaded in both 38special and 357magnum. I was running in 357magnum but not at the higher velocities, but around 1000fps. That bullet was cracking river rock for those familar with it, penetration would have to be pretty good, my unscientic approach was the "thunk" when they hit.
I have the 170 mould too, and i think they would settle a lot of "hash" too. Where the 9mm loaded in a similar fashion comes to mind is current events such as in north carolina where there is a distinct atvantage in having more than six rounds. Since i have a springfied XD, the mag capacity is similar to that of a lot of 9mm's. I have a bag of 45 185grain jhp's, either winchester or remington, that i have had sitting around for years. I know that i can run them at around 1000fps. I need to load some. Similar velocities to that of that 9mm 147grain, heavier yet bullet, and similar mag capacity in the XD.
and they dont HAVE to expand to get similar results to the 9mm, but if they do expand, game over.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's exactly why I like the 40 S&W, Ron. It has lots of good attributes of many top drawer pistol cartridges, with enough overlap to give me peace of mind.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post.html

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
The better 9/147's are comparable to a 38 +P/158/LSWCHP. That round settled a LOT of hash and developed a good reputation in the process.

I would definitely take the 147.

this thread made me again peruse the 47th lyman book on cast bullets in the throne room this morning, and compare the 147grain 9mm against the 158grain 38special. Awful similar in weight and velocity leading one to say all the 9mm offers is a hicap 38special in that bullet weight. Now i was fooling with some 155grain gas checked Lyman 358156keith style bullets a couple of months ago, can be loaded in both 38special and 357magnum. I was running in 357magnum but not at the higher velocities, but around 1000fps. That bullet was cracking river rock for those familar with it, penetration would have to be pretty good, my unscientic approach was the "thunk" when they hit.
I have the 170 mould too, and i think they would settle a lot of "hash" too. Where the 9mm loaded in a similar fashion comes to mind is current events such as in north carolina where there is a distinct atvantage in having more than six rounds. Since i have a springfied XD, the mag capacity is similar to that of a lot of 9mm's. I have a bag of 45 185grain jhp's, either winchester or remington, that i have had sitting around for years. I know that i can run them at around 1000fps. I need to load some. Similar velocities to that of that 9mm 147grain, heavier yet bullet, and similar mag capacity in the XD.
and they dont HAVE to expand to get similar results to the 9mm, but if they do expand, game over.

Keep in mind few load manuals, and definitely not Lyman's, have +P load data, so you're comparing to relatively mild 9mm loads. +P or even +P+ in a modern pistol can be a significant step up from that.

For example, the little subcompact G26 can push 147gr hard cast at 1100 fps safely. Compare that to what a similar sized 38 can do.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/22/16.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's exactly why I like the 40 S&W, Ron. It has lots of good attributes of many top drawer pistol cartridges, with enough overlap to give me peace of mind.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post.html

100% in agreement! I just started reloading the .40 in 2013 and it's become my favorite pistol cartridge to reload. Really enjoyed your blog.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My buddy chronograph'd his Shield tonight.

147 +p HST 3" barrel 947 fps

124 +p GD's 3" barrel 1133 fps.

Still hard to beat the GD's.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.