Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Shot my second P.R.S event yesterday, what a complete blast, I took 9th out of 42 shooters, 8 of the gentlemen ahead of me have scored points in actual P.R.S events this year (the big leagues), This match was at the Racine County line range, outside of racine wisconsin. PRS style shooting is the fastest growing segment of shooting sports in the midwest, drawing a lot of former 3 gun, f class, and benchrest shooters. I jumped in with both feet as far as rifle goes, the specs are as follows

6.5x47L 142 SMKs
Rem 700 Trued action
1pc pac nor bolt
Rock Creek Rem Varmint Contour barrel
Manners Eh1A stock (amazing piece)
Seeking DBM with 10rd mags
Calvin Elite trigger @ 18 oz
various bipods and bags
Kahles 624I with AMR reticle

Never have i been involved in a shooting sport with so many guys willing to help the competition, simply unbelievable sportsmanship, Im hooked, Next year i plan to shoot the new Midwest "tour" as well as some major PRS events.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Right on man! Always thought it would be fun to try one of them.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by acooper1983
[Linked Image]

Shot my second P.R.S event yesterday, what a complete blast, I took 9th out of 42 shooters, 8 of the gentlemen ahead of me have scored points in actual P.R.S events this year (the big leagues), This match was at the Racine County line range, outside of racine wisconsin. PRS style shooting is the fastest growing segment of shooting sports in the midwest, drawing a lot of former 3 gun, f class, and benchrest shooters. I jumped in with both feet as far as rifle goes, the specs are as follows

6.5x47L 142 SMKs
Rem 700 Trued action
1pc pac nor bolt
Rock Creek Rem Varmint Contour barrel
Manners Eh1A stock (amazing piece)
Seeking DBM with 10rd mags
Calvin Elite trigger @ 18 oz
various bipods and bags
Kahles 624I with AMR reticle

Never have i been involved in a shooting sport with so many guys willing to help the competition, simply unbelievable sportsmanship, Im hooked, Next year i plan to shoot the new Midwest "tour" as well as some major PRS events.

Is there an organization running PRS? How do you find out about matches - when/where? Obviously, I'm interested, but only hear "things" after the fact. Have a long way to go before I'm ready, though.

Side note - thoughts on your Kahles? I was saving towards one, but ran into a financial obstacle before I could get there. Now they have their next generation out with the windage knob available on the left, just for LR shooters. How visible is the reticle's markings? My eyes have aged to the point that things that are very fine are difficult to make out. For instance, I have a Leupold Mk IV with their TS-32x1 reticle and I have a hard time making out the dots. In a low-light situation, they are invisible. I've never worn contacts and my "readers" are useless in shooting positions.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kaiser: What area of the country do you live in? that would better help me find folks holding matches for you. As far as the Kahles. TO MY EYES ( I have excellent vision 20/10) the markings are extremely visible, the AMR is great because it has the mils marked with numbers (1 -5) generally in a PRS style match, you are not going to dial windage mid stage, you will use your reticle and hold if you need more. I have a Gen 2, and it IMO is superb. I bought it from my buddy with night force rings for 1700$, he runs a night force beast and a Gen 2 vortex razor, its better than the razor and damn close to the 4,000$ beast.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kaiser, one more thing. unless you are coming off some kind of physical injury, you are ready. I jumped into a match my first timeout, i hadn't practiced barricades or anything like that. I shot 39% my first match, my second match, being more comfortable with the stages I shot 63.7%

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higbean
Right on man! Always thought it would be fun to try one of them.

Give it a shot, there are quite a few in california. its a blast. No experience needed. the guys there will help you out and make you feel welcome.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, I'd like to know what is being held around the Dakotas as well.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There are a TON of them in southdakota. NoDAK has a Facebook page with a lot of dialogue going on. Its North Dakota Precision rifle shooters. If you are on FB look the page up and ask to join, I'm a member on it, and will let you in.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been shooting field and PRS style matches the last 4 years. They are LOTS of fun, I can't get enough of them. They really improve your skillset too. I shot a 6.5x47L 700 in a Manners the first three years, upgraded to a Defiance this past year. It's nicer and I'm not going back, but it doesn't really get you anymore hits!

Empirical results rule!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also shot my first legit PRS matches this year, they were bigger but not harder than the smaller matches. Like one friend of mine said, if you can regularly pull top 10% in our local matches, you can do the same in the big leagues.

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
yup, i plan on doing some PRS matches next year. I got such a deal on the barreled action from rock creek that i couldn't pass it up, thing shoots an honest 1/4 moa if i do my part. I was always told, if you have the action already true it and shoot it, if you don't, its probably better to invest in the aftermarket. that said, ill probably build a defiance this winter. Its great having a buddy at rock creek as well, barrels are on the next day :-D

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.