Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's a lot to it. there's little to no doubt about that. for instance, most kings & monarchs of the world claim they're descended from gods (or are appointed by God in a few cases).

even it's been said that the royal family of england is descended from god. my folks got banished from scotland due to the king of england. so, if he's a direct descendent of god, where does that leave us descendents of protestants that he kilt?

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Gus
there's a lot to it. there's little to no doubt about that. for instance, most kings & monarchs of the world claim they're descended from gods (or are appointed by God in a few cases).

even it's been said that the royal family of england is descended from god. my folks got banished from scotland due to the king of england. so, if he's a direct descendent of god, where does that leave us descendents of protestants that he kilt?
I don't believe any monarch of Christian lineage has ever claimed to be a descendant of God, but have believed themselves ordained to rule by God, and there is scripture for that. Certainly, most kings took it further than intended, which gave rise to the divine right of kings doctrine. Christians are in lineage with God, but by the adoption of salvation, being heirs and joint heirs with Christ. Obviously, none of us live up to that gift but is something to strive for and perhaps the reason.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

I don't have to believe anything without sufficient reason, and there is no sufficient reason to believe the all powerful, all knowing all kind creator of the universe could not forgive without the shedding of blood.

Often you claim to use the Bible to support your lack of belief. Then, contrary to the God of the Bible, you create a god you don't want to believe in by often describing your god as "all kind creator of the universe". The God of the Bible is NOT all kind. He is a vindictive Omnipotent God Who thrashes entire countries at His will. Other times He sends His emissaries to kill every man, woman, and child in a city. At one time He sent His only Son and planned His death to atone for sin because He set the rule that that is the way to get things where He wants them.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

No, I'm applying modern logic to a bronze age religion. There is nothing "divine" about murdering an innocent for the sins of another.

Again you are using your finite brain to erroneously judge the Infinite God.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Originally Posted By liliysdad
"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."

Matthew 6:11

You cannot combat my logic, so you return with threats.

Such a good loving christian you are....

He is not threatening. If in fact he no longer posts on this thread to you he is obeying God's Word.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by dodgefan
I have no idea what his beliefs were. I think the point is that he that he believed that religion (most likely Christianity) was beneficial to society.

Yet according to the study at the start of this thread, more Americans now believe religion does more harm them good.

What people believe does not establish facts. Even the least religious founder, Benjamin Franklin, suggested the convention start with prayer. I base this opinion on reading his autobiography.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I'm a firm believer that these religious postings are made by dickheads just to see their name in print because folks jump on 'em like Garrett on snuff!!

Do you think the atheists do it for a different reason?

Everyday Hunter
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Gus

I don't believe any monarch of Christian lineage has ever claimed to be a descendant of God, but have believed themselves ordained to rule by God, and there is scripture for that. Certainly, most kings took it further than intended, which gave rise to the divine right of kings doctrine. Christians are in lineage with God, but by the adoption of salvation, being heirs and joint heirs with Christ. Obviously, none of us live up to that gift but is something to strive for and perhaps the reason.

we agree an awful lot of past kings/monarchs/queens claimed a divine right to rule. whether direct descendent of the gods, or appointed by the divine. we also know that most if not all encouraged their serfs, or commoners to know & believe that. and if they refused to accept that trifling detail, the king's legions were pointed at them for further indoctrination. in the christian world, i believe the pope serves under divine right, at least according to his bureaucracy.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus

we agree an awful lot of past kings/monarchs/queens claimed a divine right to rule. whether direct descendent of the gods, or appointed by the divine. we also know that most if not all encouraged their serfs, or commoners to know & believe that. and if they refused to accept that trifling detail, the king's legions were pointed at them for further indoctrination. in the christian world, i believe the pope serves under divine right, at least according to his bureaucracy.
Not to offend my catholic campfire brothers but, it was not a good time. It was the dark ages, and that was the worst of "modern" times. But the one thing that even those self-absorbed medieval monarchs knew, was they could not bow the knee to islam. Now look at Europe. Their insane rulers nearly begging the hordes of islam to come and put their subjects to the sword. We won't be far behind. The abomination of desolation is nearly upon us.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i was just thinking that it might not be to far into the near future that we postmodern era americans might be asked to bow a knee to the one appointed by god himself. and yes, i'm speaking of the mighty caliph.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Meh,

These ridiculing posts remind me of the loud braying of a high school pep squad. Hooray for our team and boo on you guys.

Oh well, it seems to me that the fortunes of Christianity have waxed and waned over the past two thousand years. It varies with time and geography as well. Some have made the comment that there are more born again Christians in China today than in the US.

Further, there are eschatological scholars who posit that prior to the return of Christ, apostasy abounds and the evil associated with the antichrist rules the world.

We would do well to live our lives as best we can and let God take care of the future.

Ah, but some of you don’t believe in God do you? If God does not exist then why are “you guys” here? Some of you are obvious trolls. Some are here for entertainment. Some are here to boost their tiny little egos. Some call that the “little man” or “little weeny” syndrome. IDK about that.

But there is a common link: You don’t want me (us Christians) to believe the way we do.

Are you intolerant? Yep. You cannot stomach those who disagree with you. You leave no room for their ideas and ways.

You are offended and challenged by those who believe differently from you. In general, your posts are inflammatory, paranoid (as if you have to save the world from Jesus) and illogical.

You have no altruistic agenda other than what you dream up as to “fight religious bigotry.” Yet it seems on this site, the atheist crew are the zealous bigots trying to drive the herd into their way of thinking.

Ah, but you atheists cannot leave it alone can you?.

I suspect your braying will continue until there is a stop put to it one way or the other. Your tools are mockery and ridicule. Oh wait, yes, the unthinking and self absorbed high school “Yay for our team” mentality.

Meh....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's only two possible arguments available for the return of the christos, no?

one, is that the human condition, spiritual type, arises to the point that jesus, the christos is met in the air at a level of common denomination. Or, the human condition fails so miserably that the fall is occurring, and jesus, the christos, sweeps in and down, and rescues the humans who would otherwise fall into the abyss. in other words, he saves the world.

so, which way or set of conditions might the Christos finally enter the world? anyone know for sure?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I'm a firm believer that these religious postings are made by dickheads just to see their name in print because folks jump on 'em like Garrett on snuff!!

I agree....only thing worse is a political posting.....course....without Religion and Politics to fight about the campfire would just be a bunch of guys killing time while they're supposed to working and bitching about...fill in the blanks...._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Gus
there's only two possible arguments available for the return of the christos, no?

one, is that the human condition, spiritual type, arises to the point that jesus, the christos is met in the air at a level of common denomination. Or, the human condition fails so miserably that the fall is occurring, and jesus, the christos, sweeps in and down, and rescues the humans who would otherwise fall into the abyss. in other words, he saves the world.

so, which way or set of conditions might the Christos finally enter the world? anyone know for sure?
Originally Posted by Gus

Good question there. My view is that there is no known set of human or mankind conditions that must be met that would precipitate the return.

I believe the bible is silent on this. Others may disagree.

He will return when the Father tells him. We do not know,when and I think we cannot look at the world situation and derive a time or even a season.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
If you want to catch ol Antelope Sniper just post about religion. It is kind of like hunting over a baited field. The dude is fascinated with the subject.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What was there BEFORE god? Who made God? Out of what?

Don't quote scripture, that was written by men and went through translation after translation.

I'd like someone to try to answer without using scripture.

In fact, I'd like to know how the Bible defines time.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus

Not to offend my catholic campfire brothers but, it was not a good time. It was the dark ages, and that was the worst of "modern" times. But the one thing that even those self-absorbed medieval monarchs knew, was they could not bow the knee to islam. Now look at Europe. Their insane rulers nearly begging the hordes of islam to come and put their subjects to the sword. We won't be far behind. The abomination of desolation is nearly upon us.

Are we for certain the scripture was correctly interpreted?

Had the correct interpretation been, "...the Obamanation of desolation..."?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

Vicarious redemption.

You were bad, so let's murder an innocent......yea....that doesn't really make any sense......

Your faith is strong. You demonstrate again you don't begin to comprehend the rules the Rule Maker made.

Previously you've also admitted that it makes no sense at all to you that the Creator of the Universe would require a blood sacrifice in order to forgive.

Not really all powerful if forgiveness requires the blood sacrifice of a innocent.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
AS,

You forget that murdering the innocent is Yahweh's most noticeable trait.

As far as penal substitutionary atonement goes, it contradicts itself. Forgiveness means to 'release a debt'. If God is 'paid off' by a blood sacrifice that pays for all of humanity's sins then there is nothing to forgive....he's gotten his payoff. All men are now 'justified'.

Christians like to claim that your debt is paid but you must 'accept' this free 'gift' for you to be forgiven. Complete comtradiction.

If, say, I owe Gus a debt and you pay it off for me, YOU are showing mercy, not Gus. Gus has gotten his payment and I am now free and clear of my debt to him whether I accept it as being true or not!

He will not/can not punish me for not believing or accepting my debt has been paid off much less condemn me to pay it off forever (that's a lot of vig!). The debt has been paid...period. Gus has not 'forgiven' me...he got his payoff.

The entire 'theory' of substitutionary atonement is so bizarre, contradictory, stupid and evil that it could only have been dreamt up by superstitious, ancient humans. This was no doubt to control the populace for in a Monotheistic society where sacrifices are demanded by 'God' and those sacrifices are administered completely by the 'priesthood', guess who is in control? Israel's Kings were basically emasculated rulers. The real powers were the Levites--but that's another whole topic for another thread.

Oh, and don't forget...god 'does not delight in the blood of bulls or lambs' nor takes 'delight in sacrifices' but the 'sacrifices of the lord are a broken spirit; a broken spirit and a contrite heart he will not despise.'

Someone shoulda told Jesus....

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

No, I'm applying modern logic to a bronze age religion. There is nothing "divine" about murdering an innocent for the sins of another.

Again you are using your finite brain to erroneously judge the Infinite God.

I'm using my modern mind to judge the primitive bronze age authors of the OT.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,194 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,244
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.