Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 43 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 42 43
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Here in Annapolis, capital of all that's PC and yuppie-crap, biking is a really big deal. I don't have an issue with that, per se, but whyinhell do they have to clog the arteries in and out of town at rush hour? The town sits on a narrow peninsula with but a couple of main thoroughfares in and out- what with the roads clogged with asshats shaving/putting on makeup/fixing their hair/yakking on cell phones (illegally)/etc. driving mindlessly and at speed on their way to work, it's a dam wonder more bikeys aren't killed.

I like a good bike ride for the exercise as much as the next guy, but those times I get off my butt and actually do it, I jump on one of the bike trails they converted from railroad lines for that purpose. At least there the only traffic I interfere with is old ladies limping along on the wrong side of the path, and I'm not likely to get plastered by a drunk cell phone talker in a Prius.

I do wear a brain bucket, for the same reason I buckle up in the car. Clothes: any old dammed pair of raggedy-assed shorts that happen to be on top of the pile. Those dweebs that wear the colorful spandex, $100 biking shoes, spiffy aero-helmets while gasping for air on a slight rise make me smile...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
I sold bikes ...and I've sold auto tires...one pays ones fee free.. Lol ..I'm let in u have it ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
An another thing... snowmachines and 4 wheelers make a trail to and from ...state comes along builds a road ...kicking us to the ditch, after a few years they "find funds " to build a bike path ...and boot the snowgo and wheelers off BOTH !aaaa Wholes!!!!

Last edited by atvalaska; 09/29/16.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my area, Charleston SC there is a National Forest. In said National Forest there are a few curvy roads in an otherwise straight road world so to speak..

The leftist cyclers flock to these roads, two wide, four wide etc in big groups, small groups, doubles and singles..

There is no shoulder on these roads and the yellow line is the dirt demarcation zone.

It simply appalls me that someone or some group has so much cushion time on their hands that they feel the need to ride a bike on a dangerous road risking not only my life but theirs.. The only way around them is to pass and to pass is to pass on a blind curve so you are forced to ride behind them or move into the possibility of oncoming traffic..

Physics in the end is getting the best of them as one is smashed into the idiot of soft flesh hambuger that results when a logging truck takes the turn wide... Is it worth it? Spandex must feel incredible or the bike seat up your crotch one..

Personally I think its about as left winged pussy as it comes period, grown adults with nothing better to do than play dress up in pink stockings, eating gel cookies and chest thumping how fast they can go on a bicycle.. Get a MTN bike for Gods sake.. At best a weird group of people that would rather tout health and nature than live the real thing and all the while risking their lives , their childrens future and the lives of others to ride a bike on a paved road no less..

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The law in Colorado as I understand it is , If I hit a bicyclist I'm at fault.

There is a "single file law" for the bicyclists to keep them out of traffic but it's not uncommon to roll around a corner in the mountains and have 4 wide, chatting as they mosey along an uphill grade.

If I leave my lane to go around, It's on ME.
If I'm travelling at road speed and roll around a corner and hit a rider in the road, It's on ME.

When the traffic light is red, the bikes hit the side walk to keep going and jump back to the street at their convenience, which I'm now obliged to avoid because they are Bikes, It's on Me.

If I grumble too loudly I'll be beaten into submission for not respecting the "rights" of fellow commuters that have no License,Registration,Insurance,and are not responsible for their action, That too is on ME.

Yes, I have a mountain bike and no, I don't ride with cars.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
what I hate is how they just blow thru stop signs, think the entire road is for them as a priority since they " 'arent consuming fuel..... being 'green'...."

they all seem to have the same attitudes of arrogance, that they are royalty and the rest of us are all peasants.... just like the average democRAT.....

I'm not against bicycles, its their attitudes I can't stand...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Most riders have the elitist mentality that they are more virtuous than you! I hug the fog line, wear ear buds and listen to the radio! No helmet - after 63.9 years, what's the difference?
Two or more and they drive down county roads side by side 'til someone comes up from behind. I honk my horn and swear at the axxholes - its a violation of state law.

Yep on all counts. If get hit, I figure its ALWAYS gonna be my fault, and ride with that mindset.

I ride defensively and courteously. It's served me well so far.

Courteously for you is a pack of cyclists travelling far below traffic speed while tying up a whole lane and presenting a hazard to themselves and others. Almost always this is done for no other purpose other than mere recreation. But hey, other vehicles only had to wait to pass once so that's apparently OK.

The best way to get away with murder is to run over a bicyclist. If the motorist is sober, it's all but guaranteed there won't be any legal action taken at all.

If a pedestrian or pack thereof were walking anywhere on the road, much less down the middle of a lane, one would be hard-pressed to press charges against anyone who hit them either.

Whats the difference?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I honestly didn't think I could have any more disrespect for bicyclists until reading some of the schidt PaulBarnard has written on this thread.

As if riding a bike in spandex in the middle of the fuggin road wasn't attention whore-ish enough, you gotta come up with this buncha bullschidt?

What a supreme douche.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 65 and I bike everyday for 12 miles 528 feet of elevation gain, in 45 minutes for a average speed of 16 mph. If those hills were not there it would be 20 mph. I am in a 25 mph or 30 mph zone. Cars pass me on blind corners and blind hills. There is plenty of room for passing me with narrow cars. The trucks pulling trailers that are barely faster than me, that meet another car head on in a hairpin, and then run me into the ditch... those trucks bother me.

Worse are the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, BMWs, and Mercedes Benz hot rods that meet me head on as they pass in blind corner.

The absolute worst are cars in a race in 25 mph zone that are sliding sideways using both lanes drifting through a blind hairpin as I am coming the other way leaning into the corner.

Because there are so many fiords on the island where I live, hot motorcycles come from off island to go through all hair pins. They are not very dangerous as they are not very wide.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog

There is a "single file law" for the bicyclists to keep them out of traffic but it's not uncommon to roll around a corner in the mountains and have 4 wide, chatting as they mosey along an uphill grade.

If I'm travelling at road speed and roll around a corner and hit a rider in the road, It's on ME.

When the traffic light is red, the bikes hit the side walk to keep going and jump back to the street at their convenience, which I'm now obliged to avoid because they are Bikes, It's on Me.

If I grumble too loudly I'll be beaten into submission for not respecting the "rights" of fellow commuters that have no License,Registration,Insurance,and are not responsible for their action, That too is on ME.

As it should be. It would be on any motorist if they rounded the bend and hit a mail truck, deliver truck, farm equipment, stalled vehicle, etc.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I am 65 and I bike everyday for 12 miles 528 feet of elevation gain, in 45 minutes for a average speed of 16 mph. If those hills were not there it would be 20 mph. I am in a 25 mph or 30 mph zone. Cars pass me on blind corners and blind hills. There is plenty of room for passing me with narrow cars. The trucks pulling trailers that are barely faster than me, that meet another car head on in a hairpin, and then run me into the ditch... those trucks bother me.

Worse are the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, BMWs, and Mercedes Benz hot rods that meet me head on as they pass in blind corner.

The absolute worst are cars in a race in 25 mph zone that are sliding sideways using both lanes drifting through a blind hairpin as I am coming the other way leaning into the corner.

Because there are so many fiords on the island where I live, hot motorcycles come from off island to go through all hair pins. They are not very dangerous as they are not very wide.

I knew what I was getting into when I started this thread Clark. I volunteered to be a punching bag. I hope you have thick skin, they are coming after you!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
I honestly didn't think I could have any more disrespect for bicyclists until reading some of the schidt PaulBarnard has written on this thread.

As if riding a bike in spandex in the middle of the fuggin road wasn't attention whore-ish enough, you gotta come up with this buncha bullschidt?

What a supreme douche.

When you can't substantively refute or constructively reply to my comments, there's always ad hominems. You go sweetheart!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by colodog

As it should be. It would be on any motorist if they rounded the bend and hit a mail truck, deliver truck, farm equipment, stalled vehicle, etc.

Although they are in violation of the single file law, I'm still the responsible party with no recourse, and bicyclists wonder why car and truck traffic have no respect/patience for bikes...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I live in a rural area and am used to tractors, combines, mowers and all sorts of machinery so I've gotten to where I'm not bothered by it. It's a slower pace and figure that it would be some beautiful area to bike ride if you're under 16 years old or gay. 😉 I give the bicyclists a wide berth and usually a 5 fingered wave. It's the urban areas where I have to keep my head on a swivel with all the 2 wheeled hornets in spandex buzzing around. I'm far less patient with all the stupidity from everyone, not just bicyclists, in suburbia.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Here they gather in a parking near my house before setting out. If you're at the light to make a right, they all pull up next to you in stead of behind you. So I roll down the window, "hey, if your next to me when I turn right, it's really going to hurt".

I turn right they stay put. Good times.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Most riders have the elitist mentality that they are more virtuous than you! I hug the fog line, wear ear buds and listen to the radio! No helmet - after 63.9 years, what's the difference?
Two or more and they drive down county roads side by side 'til someone comes up from behind. I honk my horn and swear at the axxholes - its a violation of state law.

Yep on all counts. If get hit, I figure its ALWAYS gonna be my fault, and ride with that mindset.

I ride defensively and courteously. It's served me well so far.

Courteously for you is a pack of cyclists travelling far below traffic speed while tying up a whole lane and presenting a hazard to themselves and others. Almost always this is done for no other purpose other than mere recreation. But hey, other vehicles only had to wait to pass once so that's apparently OK.

The best way to get away with murder is to run over a bicyclist. If the motorist is sober, it's all but guaranteed there won't be any legal action taken at all.

If a pedestrian or pack thereof were walking anywhere on the road, much less down the middle of a lane, one would be hard-pressed to press charges against anyone who hit them either.

Whats the difference?

Birdwatcher

I don't ride in packs taking up the whole lane.

What the hell difference does it make if my reason for being on the road is recreation or fitness. Are you suggesting people on the road for recreational pursuits shouldn't be there? Does that mean the guy slowly trailering his horses to the national forest to ride doesn't belong on the road?

I have encountered packs of people walking down the road before. It wasn't difficult at all avoiding them. Some of them were purposefully discourteous. I let that be their problem, not mine.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Here they gather in a parking near my house before setting out. If you're at the light to make a right, they all pull up next to you in stead of behind you. So I roll down the window, "hey, if your next to me when I turn right, it's really going to hurt".

I turn right they stay put. Good times.

I never filter to the right at stops or lights. I proceed through the intersection with traffic, then duck out of the way as soon as I possibly can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Jerk store would have smoked that guy.

Clark
i came close to killing a mescan today....

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Anybody 'Keeping Score'???

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I went into a Chevrolet dealership today intent on buying a new 2500HD High Country Diesel I'd found in their online inventory. 30 minutes later, I was so infuriated by the cork soaker sales staff that, when I walked out, I contemplated finding the nearest bike shop.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 14 of 43 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.