Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Robert_White: I worked for a time at the same foundry that my father (and Clint Eastwood!) worked at, Pacific Car & Foundry (Renton, Washington).
They made train cars, frames, axles, trucks for the wheels and axles and train wheels!
The trick to castings which I had something to do with, is many of the parts I dealt with were cast in molds then got heat treated in ovens for various amounts of time and then quenched in certain oil baths and some treated again and quenched again.
IF... you think cast iron pieces are not strong go take a bite out of a railroad car wheel!
Cast iron CAN be made into incredibly hard/strong items.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Model 700 actions are NOT machined from billets, but are made from heavy wall CM tubing.That is why there is sometimes anomalies in their dimensions. It is a major cost saving in labor as compared using billets.

In a book by De Haas and Van Zwoll** a Remington engineer named Mike Keeney states that the Rem 700 receiver starts out as bar stock. Furthermore he states that seamless tubing in 4140 is expensive enough that it is actually cheaper for Remington to start with bar stock and do their own machining.

**Bolt Action Rifles, expanded 4th edition, page 420, ©2003

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Robert_White: I worked for a time at the same foundry that my father (and Clint Eastwood!) worked at, Pacific Car & Foundry (Renton, Washington).
They made train cars, frames, axles, trucks for the wheels and axles and train wheels!
The trick to castings which I had something to do with, is many of the parts I dealt with were cast in molds then got heat treated in ovens for various amounts of time and then quenched in certain oil baths and some treated again and quenched again.
IF... you think cast iron pieces are not strong go take a bite out of a railroad car wheel!
Cast iron CAN be made into incredibly hard/strong items.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Cast iron isn't really the subject. Ruger's actions are investment cast steel, either 4140 or a 400 series stainless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Robert_White
So it is all about the "fine grain" ?

How much stress does the actual action endure in a bolt action rifle? The end of the barrel forms most of the actual chamber. The bolt lugs lock into the action so the force is mostly to shear off backwards?

Am I thinking rightly?

By contrast the Remington 700 is machined from billet? But the billet was hammer forged? To straighten the grain???

Model 700 actions are NOT machined from billets, but are made from heavy wall CM tubing.That is why there is sometimes anomalies in their dimensions. It is a major cost saving in labor as compared using billets.

Ruger is machining a lot more stuff now than they used too. 5 axis CNC machines have become more common place and it makes sense to machine rather than to cast.

As far as casting being strong or not, consider the turbine vanes for a jet engine. They are cast from single grain super alloys. Nothing else will hold up.

I seriously doubt that Ruger would phase out their quality line of rifles, the incredibly durable M77 without replacing it with something of equal or better performance (which the American is certainly not). I really don't think they would want to turn over such a signifcant market share to some other company(s). So it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they come out with a basic, rugged, CNC machined "M77" at some point with certain critical part perhaps still investment cast. (I don't think anyone else is making their own bolts which have the same reliability or at this price point.)

But I really have no issue with their "crudeness". They are excellent hunting rifles. LOts of stuff that sees the benches of the local range will never taste much if any blood.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
No doubt they are rugged guns. They are also pretty damn crude IMO and that's why they sell forless than something like a model 700 or a model 70.

Much less when you factor in the cost of replacing the 700 bolt or having the handle bolted down so it won't come off in your hand and replacing the trigger so it doesn't go off at odd moments of its own choosing.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If I remember correctly, Jack O'Connor wrote an article about the Ruger 77 when it first came out and said that during a stress test, it took 180,000 psi to start to shear the bolt lugs and even at that they were not completely sheared. Not 100% certain on that figure but that seems pretty strong to me.

John

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
No doubt they are rugged guns. They are also pretty damn crude IMO and that's why they sell for less than something like a model 700 or a model 70.

Much less when you factor in the cost of replacing the 700 bolt or having the handle bolted down so it won't come off in your hand and replacing the trigger so it doesn't go off at odd moments of its own choosing.

I have never had a 700 bolt handle come off. And not from lack of shooting. That said the old model 70, 1 piece forged bolt is the best mouse trap.
As for the trigger. I run Jewell triggers on both my model 70's and model 70's for the most part. I do have a Neil Jones and an Eddie Fosnaugh tuned 700 factory triggers and they have always worked great.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/03/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So which of Rugers semis use cast barrels??? All of them?

[Linked Image]

Btw, thanks for the heads up on that book Greg, and to Ed for the link. Got one coming to learn/peruse.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
No doubt they are rugged guns. They are also pretty damn crude IMO and that's why they sell for less than something like a model 700 or a model 70.

I have never had a 700 bolt handle come off. And not from lack of shooting. That said the old model 70, 1 piece forged bolt is the best mouse trap.
As for the trigger. I run Jewell triggers on both my model 70's and model 70's for the most part. I do have a Neil Jones and an Eddie Fosnaugh tuned 700 factory triggers and they have always worked great.

Silver brazing is very strong, if done correctly, and can't be disassembled without some serious abuse well above and beyond hard use. The problem is that some of them don't get assembled correctly. Can you tell by looking? I can't, so I don't trust them as much as some others.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my current bolt guns: two Hawkeyes, two FNs, and a Vanguard S2, have one-piece bolts; the Rugers cast, the others forged. One less thing to go wrong. I used to belong to a hunt club in VA with 30 members. Two had Remmy bolt handles pop on them.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The book by R.L. Wilson is full of interesting details about Ruger and Ruger guns.

It tells about tests done on their investment cast bolts, comparing them to Mauser, Model 70 and 700 bolts, the Ruger investment cast lugs outlasting all of them. (p.105)

The Ruger Old Army got its design testing accomplished by loading the cylinders full of Bullseye...without failure. (p. 126)

The P85 was tested with military high-pressure M882 ammo while the bore was completely blocked with a steel rod. Some parts were ruined: (extractor...) but the barrel was undamaged. (p 207)

That's a few, there are more I'm quite sure but I don't recall specifics offhand nor do I care to look for them further. It's a book worth having if Ruger guns hold any appeal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Having read this thread two things come to mind.

First is that Greg knows his subject and is a good read when he is on it.

The second is that tex n cal's failue to turn TUNGSTEN wire into a spring is an impressive endeavour regardless of success or not.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Robert_White

How can a "soup" of molten metal poured into a mold be strong enough to become a rifle action that must endure such high pressures?

Obviously the Ruger action holds up, but not understanding how it is done causes me to not have full confidence.

Can anybody put it in laymen's terms?

And to add to the confusion; how can/does Ruger make an investment casting stainless all that strong?

The format is a little hard to follow but there is some good information in this article to answer your question.

After heat treating according to these guys 410 stainless can have a yield strength of 140,000 PSI.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120219095722/http://www.precisionmetalsmiths.com/PMIalloyEngineeringGuide.pdf

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent, excellent thread. I'll be ordering the book Greg linked to when I get back from deer hunting. Bravo!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A brief comment on 700 bolt handles. Had one come off during safety testing after lightening trigger pull. Yes, I give it a hard test including a workover with my rubber hammer simulating a hard fall with the bolt handle landing on a rock. On examination the braze didn't fuse with the bolt, I'd guess around 20% fused properly. Could be not enough heat though I'd guess contamination. No industrial process is perfect. Properly done you'd have trouble getting one off with a big steel hammer.

Anyway, had the owner call Remington who sent a prepaid box along with profuse apologies and repaired it quickly.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Anyway, had the owner call Remington who sent a prepaid box along with profuse apologies and repaired it quickly.

My impression of a similar process (as with every other dealing I've had with Remington) left me rather soured. It went like this:

-Called the warranty/service number to see where I should ship it.

-Was told to send it to a "local" service center (which meant a 500 mile plane ride to Fairbanks (My cost: $25)

-Service center received my rifle and, after enough time to re-braze it many times over, I was informed that it had to be sent to the factory. "Please send money to cover shipping."

- Me: "Uh, I already paid to ship a warranty problem to the "Service Center" the factory wanted it shipped to!"

- They: "Well, if you want the rifle to be repaired you'll have to pay shipping."

- Me: "Alright, well have them ship it back to me then so I don't have to pay shipping a third time."

- They: "They can't do that. It has to be returned to us. They can only ship to the original shipper that sent it to them."

- Me: "Fantastic. Screwed three times is perfect!" (When the factory should have done it correctly to begin with.)

Remington has a great investment cast bolt handle. It's how they attach the damned thing that needs to be corrected. I'll just stick with the fully cast bolts which my Rugers have on them when I need rifles I can really depend upon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That mirrors my experience.

Called Remington after the first bolt handle fell off and they said send it to a local service center, which happened to be in Western Oregon. I called the service center, they said to send it to them 2nd day air for about $50 at the time where they would evaluate it and then send me a quote for repairs. I told them the bolt handle came off. "Oh, okay, that's a $100 repair".

So I took it to a local smith who had it back to me in a bit over a week for something like $35 total.

When the second one fell off I didn't even call Remington, just took it straight to that same smith.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by nighthawk

I love a good apology, and Remington is getting good at it by now, but my time is valuable...as is all of our time...

I wouldn't waste any of my time and money sending anything back to Remington for anything.

Why waste time letting the same monkeys who couldn't manage to do a very simple job right the first time take another whack at the banana tree?

I would just have it tigged for $50 if I wanted to keep the rifle.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the subject of bolts, I recently bought a PT&G one-piece bolt for an upcoming build. Any thoughts on the metallurgy & manufacturing processes they use on those?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Having read this thread two things come to mind.

First is that Greg knows his subject and is a good read when he is on it.

The second is that tex n cal's failue to turn TUNGSTEN wire into a spring is an impressive endeavour regardless of success or not.

[Linked Image]

Thanks

That little tungsten spring sure did puzzle the heck out of me. Annealed wire, dead soft, 99.99% pure. We could wind it, but as soon as you cut it, it would split, like the example above. Maybe someday someone will figure it out.

The stuff that really is interesting is a tantalum/tungsten alloy. It's used for extreme corrosion service - like boiling chlorine, for example - where even titanium does not survive. Decent strength, extreme corrosion resistance, maybe some high temp properties. Frightfully expensive, too grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,383
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.