Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Just so it's clear- "hydraulic shock" is not a wounding mechanism, and water jugs are not a replicant for tissue. It can be used for comparison between bullets, though you will see much more expansion from water than you will in tissue or ballistic gelatin. For instance the Hornady 115gr 9mm XTP consistently fails to upset (expand) in both tissue and ballistic gel, yet nearly turns itself inside out in water.

Those bullets that show "beautiful" expansion in water will not expand/upset nearly the same in tissue. Bullets that fragment in water will not necessarily fragment in tissue.

Call it what you will but when flesh and bone are accelerated beyond the limits of their elasticity, permanent damage occurs - just as happened with the sawhorse and the plastic jugs.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Formidilosis is exactly right. This is test is useless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

"To me rifles not used for defense are toys. They are toys used for my sporting event: Hunting."

Ringman, I think I understand what you're trying to say but calling guns "toys" is an unfortunate choice of words.

That's what they are. Tools are used to make a living. JJ and Phil can legitimately call guns tools. For me a hoe is a toy I use in my garden. A farmer might call it a tool.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker

Is a man's entertainment useless? If that's the case hunting is useless.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

"To me rifles not used for defense are toys. They are toys used for my sporting event: Hunting."

Ringman, I think I understand what you're trying to say but calling guns "toys" is an unfortunate choice of words.

Why? Many people call their airplanes, motorcycles, cars, tools, and other things 'toys' and these often cause much more injury and death than do firearms when all are used in the intended manner.

Its not politically correct to call firearms 'toys' but often that describes them very well and not everyone is politically correct.

Why??? I'm surprised anyone who purports to have been around guns for any length of time would ask that question. The answer is very simple, and very basic:

Guns are not toys.

I spend a few evenings each month explaining this to 8 and 10 year-olds. They all get it.

I prefer to end the statement "guns are not toys" with a period. Not a "comma, however."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ringman

It is when it's passed off as a test that validates something.
I could care less if CH shoots water jugs, but let's be honest what it is. Screwing around and nothing else.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/02/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That's what they are. Tools are used to make a living. JJ and Phil can legitimately call guns tools. For me a hoe is a toy I use in my garden. A farmer might call it a tool.

So a hoe is the same as a gun? If you come to my garden and I point my hoe at you and you can't tell whether it's loaded or not, would that be OK with you?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

It is when it's passed off as a test that validates something.
I could care less if CH shoots water jugs, but let's be honest what it is. Screwing around and nothing else.

Get over yourself.

I've often admitted that water jugs are not flesh and blood and that the results will vary depending on the target medium, and I've done so again in this thread. That fact, however, does not invalidate the results. How the resulting data is used may be appropriate or inappropriate, just as any person could choose a sledge hammer to roof a house or a strip dragster for daily commuting.

It is apparent you are neither an engineer or a scientist or you would know that the use of proxies for testing is valid and very common. The reasons for using proxies are many but usually include availability, practicality, repeatability and cost - the same reasons I choose water jugs and other materials for testing as opposed to flesh and blood. Proxies have been used since cave men first picked up a rock and determined by smashing something with it that the rock would make a good weapon. If scientists and engineers were unable to use proxies in their investigations we would live in a very different world - one where our knowledge of the world around us, be it in the realm of sub-nuclear, astrophysical, medical or whatever, would be greatly diminished. Mankind might, in fact, still be living in caves.

Ballistic gelatin might be a better medium for collecting information but it fails the availability, practicality and cost tests for my use. And, frankly, while the results (such as penetration) might be to a different scale, the relative results are not all that much different from those obtained using water. Bullets with high penetration or weight retention in one tend to have the same in the other, etc.

I don't begin to claim my tests are very scientific - they are more for fun than anything else and rarely produce unexpected results. Being an engineer though, I do apply to various degrees some of the same methods I apply in my work. This includes using the 'Scientific Method' whereby I formulate a question, come up with an educated guess (hypothesis), perform the test, collect and analyze the results and come up with a general conclusion. What I have found over and over is that while the results may not be identical to those obtained in flesh and blood testing, there is, as expected, a great deal of correlation.

For example, bullets which have great expansion but poor penetration in animals often perform the same in water jugs. Bullets which will travel end-to-end in mule deer tend to penetrate more water jugs than bullets that can't penetrate half that amount in flesh and blood. Non-expanding wide-meplat hardcast bullets are known for their penetration through flesh and blood at relatively low velocities and this behavior is replicated in water jugs. Increase the velocity and penetration decreases in both mediums. Bullets that display high weight retention when recovered from animals tend to have high weight retention when recovered from water jugs as well. The similarities between water jug and flesh and blood results go on and on and on...

Here are some of the results from my testing. Sorry if the formatting sux, this is a cut/paste from Excel. If anyone is really interested I can send them the spreadsheet.

[Edited to remove spreadsheet as it mage this page hard to read.]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/03/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Need a magnifying glass too read the second page.. might be a good thing this thread will now die and be 20 pages back by tomorrow afternoon

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

So a hoe is the same as a gun? If you come to my garden and I point my hoe at you and you can't tell whether it's loaded or not, would that be OK with you?

Would you point a gun at someone when you didn't intend to use it, loaded or not?

Merriam-Wesbster provides this as one definition of a 'toy'"

something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment

Your more restrictive definition is not the only one. Being a 'tool' and a 'toy' are not mutually exclusive and firearms can be both at the same time.

Tools and toys are often very dangerous when used improperly or without safety precautions, whether they are firearms or something else. The problem is not when people derive enjoyment and entertainment using a firearm but when safety precautions are ignored.

You have noticed, perhaps, that ignoring safety precautions is not restricted to one one class of firearms users and that a lot or law enforcement people have shot themselves with their tool?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Would you point a gun at someone when you didn't intend to use it, loaded or not?

Merriam-Wesbster provides this as one definition of a 'toy'"

something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment

Your more restrictive definition is not the only one. Being a 'tool' and a 'toy' are not mutually exclusive and firearms can be both at the same time.

Tools and toys are often very dangerous when used improperly or without safety precautions, whether they are firearms or something else. The problem is not when people derive enjoyment and entertainment using a firearm but when safety precautions are ignored.

You have noticed, perhaps, that ignoring safety precautions is not restricted to one one class of firearms users and that a lot or law enforcement people have shot themselves with their tool?

You can mince words, or parse it any way you like. Hell, you and Ringman can even use your decoder rings to send each other secret messages.

A gun is still not a toy. Period. Anyone who tries to make the case that a gun is a toy is an idiot.

Of course I wouldn't, thanks for making my point. Pointing a toy or a hoe at someone has no consequences, hence, they are not the same as a gun.

I can't believe we're even having this conversation.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Need a magnifying glass too read the second page.. might be a good thing this thread will now die and be 20 pages back by tomorrow afternoon

There is a reason I offered to send the spreadsheet to interested parties.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

Originally Posted By Coyote_Hunter

Of course I wouldn't, thanks for making my point. Pointing a toy or a hoe at someone has no consequences, hence, they are not the same as a gun.

Then why are you? crazy

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To correct a couple of morons who want to call guns "toys."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

You can mince words, or parse it any way you like. Hell, you and Ringman can even use your decoder rings to send each other secret messages.

A gun is still not a toy. Period. Anyone who tries to make the case that a gun is a toy is an idiot.

Anyone who fails to recognize that a firearm can be a toy is an idiot. Most of mine serve little purpose but to provide enjoyment and entertainment, one of the primary definitions of being a toy. That doesn't mean they aren't dangerous if misused.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that people have been killed with hoes and toys of various types. Granted, using a firearm is easier. Is a baseball bat a toy or an instrument of murder? Been more than one person killed with them.

What something is depends on how and why it is being used.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/03/16.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
To correct a couple of morons who want to call guns "toys."

Are paintball guns toys? I see them used for all kinds of games, yet serious injury or death can occur if misused.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Remember those famous toys.......Yard Jarts?

They were also toys that 'could-be' dangerous.

[Linked Image]

Perhaps smokepole was top-lopped by a Yard Jart and wants to dictate safety standards for all toys now.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone who fails to recognize that a firearm can be a toy is an idiot.

Preserved for posterity.

You can't make this stuff up.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Perhaps smokepole was top-lopped by a Yard Jart and wants to dictate safety standards for all toys now.

Or perhaps I just object to idiots like you calling guns toys and comparing them to yard darts. Or hoes, or baseball bats.

Keep digging, this is getting good now.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image]

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.