Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bludog
Wow, just wow, is this experience talking (with the X-Bolt)? Or is it just opinion based on a different rifle? Admittedly, MO is not Alaska, but so far - for the past 5 seasons, both the X-BOLTS I've owned and shot and hunted with have functioned flawlessly. This does include one Colorado second season elk hunt in snow, rain, mud, cold and wind.

I sold my Extreme Weather Model 70 to a 'fire member and kept the X-bolt and don't regret it. It's lighter, more accurate, and fits me better. If you have personal experience with this rifle, that's one thing, but to disparage a rifle that you may have never owned, shot, or hunted with smacks a little bit of bias and group think. If a guy asks an honest question, give an honest answer based on your experience, not your opinions garnered from others. And Redneck, I am not including you in this response, I do very respect your opinion, but some of the responses are of no value to the OP.

Pretty scant evidence to get all worked up over...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bludog
Wow, just wow, is this experience talking (with the X-Bolt)? Or is it just opinion based on a different rifle? Admittedly, MO is not Alaska, but so far - for the past 5 seasons, both the X-BOLTS I've owned and shot and hunted with have functioned flawlessly. This does include one Colorado second season elk hunt in snow, rain, mud, cold and wind.

I sold my Extreme Weather Model 70 to a 'fire member and kept the X-bolt and don't regret it. It's lighter, more accurate, and fits me better. If you have personal experience with this rifle, that's one thing, but to disparage a rifle that you may have never owned, shot, or hunted with smacks a little bit of bias and group think. If a guy asks an honest question, give an honest answer based on your experience, not your opinions garnered from others. And Redneck, I am not including you in this response, I do very respect your opinion, but some of the responses are of no value to the OP.

Elsewhere, I have defended and praised Browning quality, while dumping a bit on the metro-sexual influenced styling in some of their offerings. The OP asked for input/thoughts. I think that the X-Bolt's complicated design could be a liability under the rough usage he describes, partly because there's more stuff to go wrong, and also that it'd be harder to disassemble for cleaning and lubrication in the field. Detachable mags are another potential source of trouble including simple loss. I don't have to experience any of that to anticipate it and choose to avoid it by going with simple, rugged, proven designs like the Mauser and its kin.

I didn't say the X-Bolts were bad, or inaccurate, or even not worth having, just that something else might be a better choice out in the goop. Sorry your feelers got hurt.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My son in law has one in 270. Good shooter.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1_deuce, 2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 35 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,015
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.