Campfire Regular
K
Under $700? Easy. Meopta Meopro

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Spend 300 more and get Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 you'll be glad ya did!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The S&B Summit is one that comes to mind.

Hate to disagree with my old pal JG; but Ive aimed at 100's of deer past shooting light with my Summits, and have never lost a reticle on an animal yet. smile

Until it was night time of course.

If I were REALLY worried about it I wouldn't use it.

Is it possible that eye sight may have something to do with it?

In my case it most definitely does!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One of the benefits of the S&B Klassic is having a FFP reticle. You can make your reticle any size you want. For me on my scope w/a #4 reticle I do almost all of my killin on about 5.8 power. Much over that at dark thirty and my scope has some flare to it. I mean really dark here. powdr

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The S&B Summit is one that comes to mind.

Hate to disagree with my old pal JG; but Ive aimed at 100's of deer past shooting light with my Summits, and have never lost a reticle on an animal yet. smile

Until it was night time of course.

If I were REALLY worried about it I wouldn't use it.

Is it possible that eye sight may have something to do with it?

In my case it most definitely does!

It could be eyesight. Just how we see things differently....of course. We don't all take the same eyeglasses either.

The "best" low light reticle I have used is the Swaro version of the Duplex found on the old PH 2-10x. Even at 300 yards looking back into timber after legal shooting light, that reticle simply would not quit and was visible to aim for me after a Zeiss Conquest faded out.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't wear eyeglasses except to read. I had lots of trouble with that S&B, Swaro Z5 and Z6, all plex reticles. I think Swaro thickened up those from when they first came out though.

I could see the thin wires on the conquests I've had better than that Summit.....go figure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got an old older Swarovski 2.5x10-42 obj FFP and like Bob said, it doesn't quit. Awesome scope for a hunting rifle.

I've also got a 2-12 VX6 with the Firedot 4. It doesn't beat the Swaro.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For my OLD EYES I settled on a Leupold FX-3 6x42
that I had Leupold install their German #4
Bright with a Reticle I can SEE at
DARK THIRTY
AMRA

Molan Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Strick9
For under 700 it will be hard to be the conquest.

For my short range rigs I also run Kahles Helia C but 3-12x56.. They can get you in trouble wink

X2^^^^^^

Mine's a Kahles Helia L 3-12x56mm with a No. 1 reticle in the first focal plane. The reticle gets larger and easier to see as magnification increases.

I also have a German built (grayish) Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42mm that's fantastically bright.

Both of these scopes were built for the Euro market where hunting at night is legal.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I can't remember my last scope that wouldn't make it to legal shooting light was over, and I don't alpha glass for riflescopes.

For your $700 budget, it's more about the features you want.

Just my $.02

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by COCKED
Ok let's say in the under $700 range....

2 6x42's

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
6x42 Leupold is good.

In that price range the 3-9 Conquest is hard to top for viewing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't wean myself off old M8's, especially the eye relief. I have one SWFA 10X, but it's on a play rifle.

Reckon I'm a old fuddy duddy

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by COCKED
Ok let's say in the under $700 range....

You might be able to find a Kahles CL or KX for 700 or a tad more. They have no competition at that price. The next would be a Zeiss Conquest HD and then down to Meopta/Zeiss 3-9x40 3-9x50 etc.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Powdr speaks truth. "Best" in this instance gets into scopes costing far more than either that the OP mentioned.

All I can say is that the VX3 from 4-5 years ago was spanked pretty good by the same-era Conquests, to my eye. It was a color balance thing as much as anything; the Leup coatings went a bit yellow in really low light and the Conquest was more blue-white. Made a very noticeable difference for me, at the bitter end of low light, in the western Oregon jungle.

A LOT has changed since then, optically, and almost all for the better.

I agree with Jeff, the Conquest was definitely better than the two VXIIIs of the same vintage and cost in low light performance, but right now both Leupies are mounted on rifles and the Zeiss is in the box. Up a little in cost are the VX-6 and Accupoint which both are illuminated and are excellent low light scopes. For under $700, I'd go Zeiss Conquest if my main criteria was light gathering capability. It is bright.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta keep in mind exit pupil though. Some deal about dividing the objective by power. So I think the average pupil is 5mm and whenever it works out to less than 5 your losing light. 42mm OBJ / 6x = 7 (bright) 40mm OBJ / 10X = 4 (not so bright)

Something like that, read it on the back of a box of Cap'n Crunch. Mighta been the crunch berries....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a Zeiss 6x42 Diatal that was very impressive in low light. I had the ASV+ turrets added to it. I let it go to finance trying something else. That was an epic mistake. They don't make them anymore and the folks that have them are astute enough to hold on to them.

There's a Schmidt & Bender 6x42 on the classifieds that would at least equal the Zeiss 6x42 if not even better it:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Schmidt_and_Bender_6x42_Cla#Post11476006

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The price range has kicked up a notch.... my Swaro 3-10x42 is really good optically in lowlight, though as others have mentioned the reticle is a little thin. I don't know if they've changed the reticle thickness on the very similar Z3's.

Warning, bit of a ramble.... funny how circumstances change. Low light performance has sunk down the priorities list for me in the last 5 years... It was very high on the list but might not make top 3 now! I drew a coveted high desert mule deer tag THREE TIMES in that span, a tag that should take 4-5 points to get, plus one year I was building a new house and desperately cranking to get the roof on before the rains hit; I didn't hunt much that fall. And concurrently, the private land honeyhole I still-hunted blacktails on for all those years kinda dried up.

I'm in deer camp right now and bailed from my stand well before last light. Much of what I was watching was 400+ yards away, and/or cross canyon, and at a certain point I'm not taking that shot anyway then having to hike way over there in the dark anyway. And finding the deer, etc.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check this one out I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Fixed. 6x great #1 reticle very bright and clear glass

http://www.eurooptic.com/meopro-6x42-riflescope-1-560800.aspx

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am kind of with Jeff O on this as far as low light priority goes. Not because it has somehow become less important but because any scope I look at now will have greater brightness than most costing much more just a few years ago. As a result things like a preferred reticle, positive and repeatable click adjustments and perhaps weight are allowed greater consideration. For example the 3-9 VX3 variable I bought rather recently is brighter than the fixed 6x42 M8 that was a gold standard of brightness to many for years. Either gets me past legal shooting times.

If I wanted to go for max brightness now I would likely look at an FX3 6x42 with my favorite #4 reticle.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.