Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by m1919
Pelican vs. Yeti

In my opinion, it really comes down to personal preference. I have a Pelican 95, my brother has a Yeti 65.

They are both very good.

Yeti is a bit more expensive, both are heavy as hell, both keep ice for a long, long time....

Personally, I like the latches on the Pelican. My brother prefers the latches on his Yeti.

Just my two cents

That is my impression too. I went with the Pelican, since I found a deal that was crazy cheaper then the Yetis. It also has steel-reinforced hardware and I believe that the Yetis do not.

The Pelican I bought via an Amazon third-party provider and I also bought a couple of stainless restaurant serving trays that fit inside. I put the ice inside those and my food stays dry and super cold.

That said, there seems to be nothing wrong with the Yetis otherwise. I hear that they work great.

Last edited by Anjin; 11/28/15.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).

M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a couple of Frio coolers. They are worth the money. They're having a sale right now with free shipping!

http://www.frioicechests.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I will say this....as a slight negative to any of these monsters, the size and weight can be a problem.

Here in CA, many of the the National Parks require coolers - even the ones rated as bear proof - be stored inside a bear locker. This has posed a problem as my Pelican 95 won't fit inside of some of them.

On the tumblers, the Yeti work great! Many a morning I have awoken to a cup half filled with cubes...holdovers from the evening before....still smelling of Gin.

Last edited by m1919; 11/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM sent

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just read this the other day..fwiw.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/essentials/363-the-big-cooler-showdown

NV guide I hunted with this year also swears by Grizzly coolers.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Looks like Big Dave is on to something. Buy the RTIC and use the 50% savings to buy a boatload os ice!

X2
I received my RTIC 45 cooler a few days ago. They said it would ship in 6 weeks. Got it 5. For me it was worth the wait to save 50%. Basically the same as a Yeti but the RTIC is $175 verses $350. The RTIC 45 holds 45 quarts. The Yeti 45 doesn't, it's a 36.8 quart cooler. RTIC 65 is a 65 quart cooler and the Yeti 65 is a 57.2 quart.
Happy.
https://www.rticcoolers.com/compare-rtic-45-to-yeti-tundra-45-cooler

Last edited by LostHighway; 10/01/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A heads up for all you Yeti lovers (and all those who can't believe folks spend so much $$$ on this kind of stuff), Yeti Holdings is planning an IPO here pretty soon. With all their suckers, er, I mean profit margin, you'll make a killing.

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/ipos/company/yeti-holdings-inc-998236-81248

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

A heads up for all you Yeti lovers (and all those who can't believe folks spend so much $$$ on this kind of stuff), Yeti Holdings is planning an IPO here pretty soon. With all their suckers, er, I mean profit margin, you'll make a killing.

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/ipos/company/yeti-holdings-inc-998236-81248

Good for them.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect Yeti is about to be overwhelmed by all the comparable coolers on the market at half the price.

They have a head start with distribution, but it ain't gonna last.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Sams Clubs sells an Iglo Sportsman that is a roto-molded yeti knock-off for $200 bucks. Very well built, 90% as good as the $400 Yeti. My buddy runs one daily in the back of his truck. I have 2 yetis right now and have bought over 20 of them. At full retail I am not sure I would buy them, at a discount, they are great. I am sick of the chitty hinges on cheap coolers. They last me one season and become 2-piece coolers. Yeti does NOT support the warranty on their previous coolers- only the Tundra. I suppose in a couple of years when the come out with an updated model they will not warranty the Tundras. I don't like that. When I pay big bucks for a life time warranty, I expect it to be for the life of me- not the life of the cooler!

I am on my fourth year using a Yeti knock off the Igloo Sportsman, it is a great cooler. Start of Deer season out here was in the mid 80's every day, I toss 3 blocks of ice in it a day before I pack it to leave so it is cold when I load it. Then on the day I load it I toss a small bag of ice on top of everything packed, when I got home 10 days later the 10 lb blocks still weighed close to 7 lbs each.

Ted
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just received two RTIC 45s. Some thoughts:

1]. Look just like Yeti. From the tests I have seen on YouTube, ice retention is same same.

2). Paid less than half, i.e., bought two RTIC 45s for less than just one Yeti 45 costs, and STILL think I paid a helluva lot for a cooler. I tell myself I probably won't be needing a cooler for many years to make myself feel better.

3). RTICs take a long time to ship. I ordered in July, was told ship by August 30, which came and went, and they shipped September 9-ish.

4) The RTICs charge no tax, and ship free. Very cool and adds up! They ship with very little padding ... A one-ply cardboard box and the cooler wrapped in a clear plastic bag. One of mine arrived with a small gouge in a corner, but I decided to live with it since it's a cooler after all.

5). I put a very bright light source inside each cooler, turned off the room lights, and neither seems to have any insulation voids. That's good. I have seen videos on YouTube where this type of cooler (called rotomolded) had insulation voids.

6). Rotomolded coolers are heavy, no matter the brand. The RTIC 45s weigh 25-ish pounds. They have an actual internal capacity of 45 quarts (for some reason, 45-quart Yetis have less?). 45 qts = 11.25 gallons. Water weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon, which means a 45-quart RTIC filled with water weighs:

11.25 gal x 8.35 lbs/gal + 25 lbs = 119 lbs

Sure, the contents of a cooler are going to be lighter than 100% water, but you get the point. 100 pounds for a full 45-qt cooler, give or take. For my uses that's manageable.

Jump to a 65 quart RTIC, which is only $25 more, but which weighs 36.5 pound empty, and your filled-with-water weight jumps to 172 pounds! (16.25 gal x 8.35 lbs/gal + 36.5 lbs = 172 lbs.). I figure you're looking at a 140-150-pound cooler when full. Could I get it into the back of the pickup alone? Yes. Do I wanna do that for the next 25 years? No. Plus, I don't need a 65-quart cooler for a lot of the short-range stuff I do. One 45-quart is plenty for those purposes.

Which is a long way of explaining why I got the two 45's. More insulation per quart of capacity, ability to separate stuff like bloody game bags or fish from food and drinks,for instance, and to break up the weight into more manageable chunks, or to travel light.

One last thing, in the Keys, every dang Hells Bay seems to have a Yeti on it in front of the console, and sitting/standing on them is NO PROBLEM. I never saw a warped top. Thinking I can use some of my old stock paint to camo up one of these bad boys for when I want to shoot doves close to the truck and the cold beverages. wink

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeti deserves a bunch of 'distractors'. They are over priced. They are no better then 'copy cat' brands that cost a fraction of th eir price. They are all made in China anyway.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interestingly enough I ordered an RTIC SoftPak 30 last week and according to e-mail it shipped the same day I placed the order.

Ordered on Tuesday and should be here on Monday.

Plan on using it in the cab of the pickup/tractor/side by side, etc..

A lot lighter than the hard shell which should also make it way more handy for carrying vaccine/water bottles down to the corral for branding.

$125 which doesn't seem all that bad compared to Yeti.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be interested to know how you like that SoftPak. Been eyeing a lunchbox-sized one as well as something a bit bigger for the truck cab as well as for airline travel. wink

Edited to add: went to the RTIC website, and the ship date for the soft-sided stuff is 10/8, which is only a week away, but for either the 45 or 65 rotomolded, it is 11/24 if ordered today. That's Thanksgiving. Based on my experience, I'd be thinking now's the time to order if you want a hard-sided RTIC in time for Christmas.

Last edited by RickBin; 10/01/16.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick, I noticed you mentioned RTIC here awhile back so I checked them out. No way I'm paying $350 for the Yeti version and the flip top lid on the RTIC appears to be way better anyway.

The zipper is probably gonna eventually go to hell but I use ice packs(no melted ice..) so will probably just flip the lid shut and call it good.

Side note....

Just ordered spare lids for the uber awesome Yeti bottles and coffee cup.
(36 and 18 oz bottles are the chizzle....)

Noticed in the gear/accessories department they sell a 3/4 lb. bottle opener....

Wife is going to be real impressed.......grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RickBin
Just received two RTIC 45s. Some thoughts:

1]. Look just like Yeti. From the tests I have seen on YouTube, ice retention is same same.

2). Paid less than half, i.e., bought two RTIC 45s for less than just one Yeti 45 costs, and STILL think I paid a helluva lot for a cooler. I tell myself I probably won't be needing a cooler for many years to make myself feel better.

3). RTICs take a long time to ship. I ordered in July, was told ship by August 30, which came and went, and they shipped September 9-ish.

4) The RTICs charge no tax, and ship free. Very cool and adds up! They ship with very little padding ... A one-ply cardboard box and the cooler wrapped in a clear plastic bag. One of mine arrived with a small gouge in a corner, but I decided to live with it since it's a cooler after all.

5). I put a very bright light source inside each cooler, turned off the room lights, and neither seems to have any insulation voids. That's good. I have seen videos on YouTube where this type of cooler (called rotomolded) had insulation voids.

6). Rotomolded coolers are heavy, no matter the brand. The RTIC 45s weigh 25-ish pounds. They have an actual internal capacity of 45 quarts (for some reason, 45-quart Yetis have less?). 45 qts = 11.25 gallons. Water weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon, which means a 45-quart RTIC filled with water weighs:

11.25 gal x 8.35 lbs/gal + 25 lbs = 119 lbs

Sure, the contents of a cooler are going to be lighter than 100% water, but you get the point. 100 pounds for a full 45-qt cooler, give or take. For my uses that's manageable.

Jump to a 65 quart RTIC, which is only $25 more, but which weighs 36.5 pound empty, and your filled-with-water weight jumps to 172 pounds! (16.25 gal x 8.35 lbs/gal + 36.5 lbs = 172 lbs.). I figure you're looking at a 140-150-pound cooler when full. Could I get it into the back of the pickup alone? Yes. Do I wanna do that for the next 25 years? No. Plus, I don't need a 65-quart cooler for a lot of the short-range stuff I do. One 45-quart is plenty for those purposes.

Which is a long way of explaining why I got the two 45's. More insulation per quart of capacity, ability to separate stuff like bloody game bags or fish from food and drinks,for instance, and to break up the weight into more manageable chunks, or to travel light.

One last thing, in the Keys, every dang Hells Bay seems to have a Yeti on it in front of the console, and sitting/standing on them is NO PROBLEM. I never saw a warped top. Thinking I can use some of my old stock paint to camo up one of these bad boys for when I want to shoot doves close to the truck and the cold beverages. wink

I read an interesting article in a corporate rag (INC. I think) awhile back about the origin of Yeti. It was originally designed to be a casting platform for redfishing on the flats. Keeping stuff cold for a long time was an added bonus.

I don't have either, but I would guess the RTIC would hold up the same since it is rotomolded as well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If this works as well as their tumblers I can see a half dozen in my future.
http://yeti.com/colster/

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can see where one of those would be nice for sipping a real beer outside in the sun.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Igloo Yukon

Its a high preformance cooler like the Yeti
Its heavy and I seldom need to keep ice for that many days in a row

I seldom use it

I think Yeti knows how to make serious money
good for them

I would like the soft side cooler but I must be a cheap smack I cant spend that much but it would be great for the boat
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I won a 65 quart yeti, only had it a couple months. Been freezing a few gallon water jugs, throwing a a bunch of beers/drinks in there. Leave it on the back porch or in the truck. It keeps for a while, then drink the water.

Wouldn't mind a smaller cooler, not sure I'd get a yeti or another brand. We'll see.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 9 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.