Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
European Swallows... claims Graham Chapman.

Or was that coconuts?

Last edited by CashisKing; 10/05/16.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Marco Polo
I've never heard of Roman coins being used that late but gold is gold no matter whose face is on it.

Copper coins. If they were gold, they wouldn't have had to use instrumentation to find the faces. Gold doesn't corrode. There were very few Gold Roman coins and not many more silver. Copper was the thing.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Marco Polo

Or, Marco Polo's son.

Marco Tshirt ?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's about 1,000 years to get from Rome to the Japanese castle.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
there was world wide trade in ancient days. Things moved around. We don't give the old days enough credit.

Sam has the answer. Lots of items from all over the world have been found in odd places, including jade from Asia found in Native American campsites dating back to the 5th & 6th Centuries A.D.

Items of value, such as precious metals and gems have been used for trade since the beginning of time.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Originally Posted by Longbob
Hookers.

LongBob,
That would be "Hookers for $400.00"
grin

Ding Ding Ding Ding...The Daily Double!!!

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Neighbors trading with neighbors trading neighbors, same way Yellowstone obsidian can be found fashioned in many many different points from divers cultures that ranged from Alaska to southern South America, from Eastern Canada to Florida. Trade networks. It sure don't mean they all had to come to Yellowstone to get some.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is evidence in New Mexico travelers from the Middle East came here as many as 3,000 years ago. There is aa eighty ton boulder with the Ten Commandments carved into it which some authorities date to King Solomon. If world travel was available to them certainly it was available 400 - 500 years after Jesus to Japan.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Check the back of Flave's Toyota for clues.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Ingwe

LOL.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same way similar coins found their way an indian burial mound in Arkasas: World wide trade routes. They existed. But at the time no one knew where they all went. One guy bought something and the coin was passed from hand to hand till it got there. It really is a small world, but back then it was alot bigger!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Had a compadre back in the early 80's who was quite the "pot hunter" and a bit of an ecentric. (Once he advertised in local paper for really ugly people To pose for him for portraits he wished to sketch). Anyway at the ending each of his artifact poaching sessions he would make an "offering" to the midden he was digging in. Usually a Chinese cash but sometimes Roman stuff. Some of it is rather reasonably priced.

About 1993 there was an article in the Austin American Stateman of a Roman coin found in a midden by an avocational archaeologist in Round Rock Tx. It was a spot well known To my old acquaintance. I dunno? Mebbe it had been there since time immemorial. Or was it??? Who knows? I will say the spot was well hunted.

Edit!!!!
4th century roman stuff in 14th century Japan would not be news to me. However, 14th century Japanese stuff found in situ associated with 4th century roman stuff? Now that would be newsworthy.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/05/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Had a compadre back in the early 80's who was quite the "pot hunter" and a bit of an ecentric. (Once he advertised in local paper for really ugly people To pose for him for portraits he wished to sketch). Anyway at the ending each of his artifact poaching sessions he would make an "offering" to the midden he was digging in. Usually a Chinese cash but sometimes Roman stuff. Some of it is rather reasonably priced.

About 1993 there was an article in the Austin American Stateman of a Roman coin found in a midden by an avocational archaeologist in Round Rock Tx. It was a spot well known To my old acquaintance. I dunno? Mebbe it had been there since time immemorial. Or was it??? Who knows? I will say the spot was well hunted.

Edit!!!!
4th century roman stuff in 14th century Japan would not be news to me. However, 14th century Japanese stuff found in situ associated with 4th century roman stuff? Now that would be newsworthy.

Years ago I met a guy who claimed his grandfather planted a skull and jaw in a sandpit as a joke on a friend who was an archaeologist or anthropologist or something like that back in his country. I asked him what country and he said it back in Piltdown, England!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thor Heyerdahl did some interesting studies starting in the 1940's, proving that even simple primitive boats could make long distance voyages.

Thor Heyerdahl, scientist

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By boat.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
While working as an archaeology student on this site in the late 80's, we discovered drug paraphernalia (pot pipes) lost by the archaeologist who were here in the 60s.

Hell Gap Wyoming

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
303 AD was in the Fourth Century AD. Just like 1903 was in the the Twentieth Century AD.
That's what I said.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
European Swallows... claims Graham Chapman.

Or was that coconuts?

"Oh, yeah, an african swallow, maybe, but not a european swallow, that's my point."

As to the coins, an interesting find but not so surprising for reasons already mentioned.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just figured the Japs were undercutting the Roman chariot market with cheap imports that rusted out in 5 years....

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Catholic priest drop them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 55 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,647
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.