Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

One of the greatest episodes of a sitcom ever!

My thoughts exactly.....

Not only did I love that show, but especially that episode...

and I never tire of seeing 1980s Jan Smithers....NEVER

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Oddly, the "Yak Trot" festival fizzled after the first [exciting] year.

Whoops, late on that joke. Didn't see Sitka's joke.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
"as god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly". Best WKRP ever!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Animal cruelty. You have to be a sick hillbilly POS to throw a live animal from an airplane. I'd like to throw that hillbilly from that airplane.

Domestic turkeys can't fly worth a crap, it is torture of an animal. Sick.

The turkeys can glide down just fine. Something about it being in their DNA. This takes place about 20 miles from my front door. Wife's hometown. I mainly enjoy seeing PETA get their panties in a wad.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also they don't nosedive into the pavement. People can be seen carrying the birds around for the rest of the day and they all look fine and dandy.

Last edited by philgood80; 10/09/16.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a 5 Y.O. kid, my mother took me to see Santa Claus jump from a plane, with a parachute, it didn't open.

Turkeys are better equipped than Santa was.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've heard throwing Vietnamese out was a right good time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They only had to throw one out to get the rest talking.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if people remember a "Turkey Shoot"?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MagMarc
"as god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly". Best WKRP ever!

well they certainly can fly around here, the wild ones...

a week or so again, I had about 40 up a real tall pine in my back yard..... probably a good 50 to 60 feet off the ground...

they do that to get away from the coyotes and cougars than run thru the local neighborhood.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Having ridden in one of those Cessnas, I'd be more worried about the plane and the people in it than I would be about the turkeys. Gotta be awkward in the confines of the cabin moving the birds around.

The times I went up a student of mine was flying, the instructor was also up-front and I was in back, so I dunno if the windows on the doors open enough to push a turkey out.

As far as the turkeys, yep the glide response is likely wired into their brains.

I've seen a young purple martin, still a bit too small and weak to fly, fall out of a high nest cavity in a stiff breeze. First time out of the nest, incapable of powered flight, yet the expert balancing into the wind, wings and tail in constant adjustment until it touched down called to mind the computerized fly by wire on an Airbus A320.

I'm familiar with the rotund free-range barred-rock chickens that used to climb the stairs to the tall hay loft in the barn on my sister's property to lay an egg. Yet coming down they would always go to the hay loft window, pause on the edge and look and look and look, and then launch themselves into space, fall straight down while flapping madly, and then crash-land.

I'd like to toss one of them out of a plane to see if they have a glide response too.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chickens...from a hovering chopper a few thousand feet up...glide for a spell, get tired and make a small puff when they impact.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally wouldn't go to the effort and expense to toss a turkey from an airplane (you see how much avgas costs these days?), but I couldn't care less if someone else did.

Now if I just happened to be on a flight with turkeys on board that were due to be tossed........well, I'd probably have no problem participating in the activity.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Max Brantly is one of the most liberal people in Arkansas.

It will be no more traumatic than stuffing them in cages and hauling them several miles to the processing plant. Sometimes they stay on the truck, caged, in front of huge fans for hours, waiting their turn. Grocery store meat is not treated very well, no matter the kind. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I personally wouldn't go to the effort and expense to toss a turkey from an airplane (you see how much avgas costs these days?), but I couldn't care less if someone else did.

Now if I just happened to be on a flight with turkeys on board that were due to be tossed........well, I'd probably have no problem participating in the activity.
the doc landed and gassed up his plane yesterday on our way back from hunting, av gas was 3:65 a gallon, not too bad i think.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Chickens...from a hovering chopper a few thousand feet up...glide for a spell, get tired and make a small puff when they impact.

More proof that here on the 'Fire we got experts on EVERYTHING grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by funshooter
WKRP in Cincinnati.

^

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

When I was teaching in western Nebraska, one of high school boys said that his dad and uncle got into an argument about whether a chicken would fly or crash after being thrown out of their plane. One got the Piper and the other caught a chicken. Went up about 1K and tossed the poor clucker out the window. Seems it buried itself about 2ft into the plowed wheat field. The kid said the impact zone wasn't hard to find as there were white feathers everywhere.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Had a buddy that had a four year old kid and every time the boy went outside to play the neighbor's guinea scared the kid. Well...the guinea wound up in a sack before daylight and was taken to the airport, put in a Piper Cub and taken to 5000' ASL and pitched out! TJ told be....I flipped the cub over in a split S and followed it down.....it would stick out it's 'wings' and rotate like onto a chopper...get tired and with folded wings drop like a rock....stick out it's wings...rotate...then like a rock again!! Never scared that kid again!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would think a turkey would do considerable damage when it lands on their double-wide.
Oh well, as long as it doesn't hit the still or the smoke shed.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 160user, 47 invisible), 15,015 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,333
Posts18,546,128
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.