-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But the Yankees are proud of defeating Lee and ashamed of defeating Geronimo.

Same deal in both instances....... defense of one's homeland.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a picture of geronimo hangin over my desk right now.
I have a rolling block rifle, off the san carlos reservation, similar to his in that picture. It was formerly owned by the U.S. Army.
I have relatives that are part gila.
I understand his anger.
It should be noted if you dig a little deeper, not all of geronimo's band surrendered. They were still chasing them into the 1920's. There were joint U.S./mexican missions into the mountains with no success.
The landscape along the U.S./mexican border is a lot different than most people realize, very rugged, very beautiful, a good place to live.
It still aggravates me when i think about it, that he was not allowed to return to arizona. But then, i think that would have violated some apache beliefs about the dead.
I don't blame him for what he did, he was fighting total war.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My sister had two boys, one looks like a german biermeister, the other looks like geronimo. The geronimo one, has been known to take a canteen, a walking staff, and a blanket, and disappear into the high desert where there are no roads for a week at a time. He is communing with the ghosts, we like to say. He is not a very big man, but very strong. Most would not understand it, or make fun of it, but they come to him on the wind. Yankees for sure wouldn't understand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robert_White
I will probably buy a couple of books on Geronimo soon.

What little I know about him is quite compelling.

He fought in self defense for tribe and extended family. When they ran him to ground and tried to break him he rolled with the punches for a while, then organized that last defiant ride that took 25% of the entire US Army to find him and capture him.

I admire righteous defiance to the deepest depths of my bone marrow.

He had no other honorable course of action to follow. Just like Robert E Lee said in retrospect after the war was over; he had NO regrets even in light of the mountains of bodies at Cold Harbor and Petersburg and all. NO regrets. Righteous fight of self defense and honor allowed no other course.

Look into books about George Crook, also. George Crook chased the Apaches in Arizona twice, and fought the Sioux and others around the west.

"General Crook and the Western Frontier" is one

Pretty impressive guy, re-thought tactics, supply lines, and strategy while fighting the Apache. (and Yavapai)

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shouda fought harder...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He should never have trusted the white man. The great father doesn't keep his promises.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Robert_White
I will probably buy a couple of books on Geronimo soon.

What little I know about him is quite compelling.

He fought in self defense for tribe and extended family. When they ran him to ground and tried to break him he rolled with the punches for a while, then organized that last defiant ride that took 25% of the entire US Army to find him and capture him.

I admire righteous defiance to the deepest depths of my bone marrow.

He had no other honorable course of action to follow. Just like Robert E Lee said in retrospect after the war was over; he had NO regrets even in light of the mountains of bodies at Cold Harbor and Petersburg and all. NO regrets. Righteous fight of self defense and honor allowed no other course.

Look into books about George Crook, also. George Crook chased the Apaches in Arizona twice, and fought the Sioux and others around the west.

"General Crook and the Western Frontier" is one

Pretty impressive guy, re-thought tactics, supply lines, and strategy while fighting the Apache. (and Yavapai)

Sycamore

sycamore, the is a place down between the bas of yarnell hill running over to hillside/bagdad, where crook had his base at the time. it's accessable if you have a hunting license, great place to walk over. The state doesn't like to broadcast it's location, but easy to find. The walls of some of the old buildings are still there, as is a bunch of other stuff. Been there many times. I believe crook had the locals corraled in the canyon right behind the base. I keep meaning to take a quad in there but haven't done it. My mother's first husband had a trading post in the area, in those times, and she lived there for a while. Intereesting place.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He is lucky to have done any Buffalo hunting post 1880'ish. White man kills for fun.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
He is lucky to have done any Buffalo hunting post 1880'ish. White man kills for fun.

Especially back then; there was a grocery store and McDonalds on every corner grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when you mention the yavapai, i often think of this. Going out of prescott to skull valley, iron springs rd. Over the top of the hill is dosey pitts, a popular shooting area. Just down the road is the old walker ranch. Something like 12 or so white people got axed there by the yavapai. It isn't very far from prescott, just a few miles. I would really like to know where that shootout took place.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
By his own words, Geronimo would toss white and Mexican babies into the air and impale them with his knife.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Another great myth on the demise of the buffalo.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Another great myth on the demise of the buffalo.

I've read A LOT about that period of time and would be interested in your revisionist theory as to what happened to the Buffalo. If the railroad and the Buffalo hunters not to mention disease from domestic livestock didn't destroy the vast herds then where'd they go? Perhaps they took an extended vacation out of the country....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Well, some of the folks I've admired thru the years were drunks.

Hemingway

Ruark

Crane

Poe

Kephart

Gogol

Mussorsky

Just to name a few

Churchill

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alcoholism is certainly a terrible curse for many Native Americans and in Nebraska the problem is exacerbated by the stores in White Clay that exploit the Native Americans from the Sioux Tribe who live on the Pine Ridge Reservation.

White Clay is a small, population 14, unincorporated town in northwestern Nebraska that existing on the southern edge of the Pine Ridge Reservation as a source of legal alcohol for the Native Americans who live on the Reservation. The four or five stores in White Clay sell an average of over 10,000 cans/bottles of beer every day, with the vast majority of it sold to Native Americans who can't possess it on their Reservation.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Well, some of the folks I've admired thru the years were drunks.

Hemingway

Ruark

Crane

Poe

Kephart

Gogol

Mussorsky

Just to name a few

stopped in Bryson City NC this summer, and visited Horace's grave. Not many know who Kephart was. I think highly of him, drunk or sober. smile
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, he was one helluva Murderer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There were a lot of Indians that saw the evil of alcohol and didn't drink. The code of individuality didn't allow the non-drinking Indians to forbid others in their tribe from drinking. Red Cloud was one of those non drinkers, he saw the white mans spirit water as a bad thing that hurt the individual, the tribe and caused dependency on the white man. Red Cloud saw what alcohol did to his own father and made the choice to stay away from it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.