Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART

As for chains and sharpening, I got sick and tired of sharpening by hand so invested in a big Oregon chain sharpener and a handful of chains, so now I just change the chain for a fresh one and resharpen at home when I strip and clean the saw.

More good advice.

On a side note I do not know if you guys still get Tiger brand chain down there but it was Made by Carlton just for your country.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

Along with pulling the choke out and pull till it pops and then pushing in half way. Using high test gas with oil mix helps too.

You forgot Seafoam.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Originally Posted by 5sdad
On a related matter, I have been told that you can yank on the starter cord until the cows come home, leave, and come home again, and the obstinate, damned machines (no matter the make) will refuse to start until you move the on/off switch from off to on.

Along with pulling the choke out and pull till it pops and then pushing in half way. Using high test gas with oil mix helps too.

Here the trick is to use 98...using 91 left me with almost no hair due to frustration and ill humour.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Scott F

As for chains and sharpening, I got sick and tired of sharpening by hand so invested in a big Oregon chain sharpener and a handful of chains, so now I just change the chain for a fresh one and resharpen at home when I strip and clean the saw.

More good advice.

On a side note I do not know if you guys still get Tiger brand chain down there but it was Made by Carlton just for your country.

I just use Oregon as it is what my local Husqvarna dealer stocks, I do not like to overthink the issue as it generally sends you chasing your tail with very little gain.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vek
Once you figure out your chain pitch (0.325" or 3/8" links) and # of links on the chain, you can buy replacements for filthy cheap from a number of online sources. I like buying from bailey's, because they send you their catalog every now and then with all kinds of cool stuff to look at.

If you owned a saw that runs 72 drive links of 3/8" pitch chain, then you can get replacement loops of Oregon chain online for $10 or less if you look around. That chain size fits Stihl's 20" consumer saws. Similar story with 84 drive links on a 24" stihl bar - chains are dirt cheap.

Brand of chain (Oregon, Stihl, Carlton, Bailey's house brand) is a worm can of a discussion. You'd be just fine with Bailey's house brand.

Full-chisel cutters with a square grind are tough to sharpen by hand, so avoid that type. Full chisel cutters with the round grind and round chisel cutters can both be easily touched up by hand. The full generally cuts faster but is more sensitive to dulling from dirt or hardness of the wood. I have no problems in the pacific NW cutting alder/birch/maple with full chisel, but none of that is as hard as other woods across the country. I don't see a need for safety chain of any kind, but that's just me.

Oregon bought Carlton which has Ray and Mike Carlton doing RPMs in their graves I am sure. The other player on the world chain market it Stihl. I have done a lot of comparison testing on the three brands when I worked for Carlton and Stihl always came in last. Oregon and Carlton were neck in heck and I am guessing they still are. I am also willing to bet Bailey's house brand is made for them by Oregon or Carlton.

Stihl came in last using what criteria? I've founds Stihl chains to be a noticeably harder than Oregon and Carltons and hence the Stihl chains stay sharp longer. The caveat is that you need a grinder to sharpen the Stihls as a file just doesn't seem to want to make much progress.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

More good advice.

I was just wondering if they wee still making it. We released it just for your market but after the buy out Oregon may have made Carlton stop production.
I just use Oregon as it is what my local Husqvarna dealer stocks, I do not like to overthink the issue as it generally sends you chasing your tail with very little gain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a Husky.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+1 on the Husky. Back in my timber cutting days in western washington and alaska i ground my chains on a silvey chisel bit grinder and used nothing but oregon full comp chain. The stihl chain was easy to burn(blue) unless you used a waxed stone. The full comp was alot smoother and easier to bore into a log when you were bucking it. I prefered 63 guage 3/8 chain over 58 guage because the 58 seemed to fly off the bar everytime you looked at it unless you ran your chain really tight and that was hard on bars and tips. For cutting firewood i would just run skip tooth chain if your hand filing, if your grinding try full comp you'll be amazed at the difference.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a 12V electric saw sharpener that runs off of any pickup battery. You buy stones to match your chain. It's much faster than filing and is every bit as accurate.
Fancier ones clamp to the bar like a file jig and are very accurate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nobody has mentioned chaps but I think they are a darn good idea.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all for your responses.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
another great chainsaw-woodcutting site is arboristsite.com all chainsaw ans furnace wood cutting stuff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have you thought about getting a Husky?

Me

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like to decompose the issue into decision factors.

Engine size -

Avoid the very small ones they aren't sufficient for half decent size work.
Their are 3 relevant engine sizes IMO.
26-27 CC, these are the smaller handy saws that work up to trunk sizes.
36 cc class - these are the big limbers and small tree trunk saws and also the start of the bigger width chains.
44 class - this guy is the big tree trunk and stump cutter.
I recommend a 26 to 27 class (261, 271 stihl, or Husq) for most people. If you have one of those and you work on big tree's then I'd go 362 stihl.

Chain size - (basically 3, small, med & large)
Look at it - the width your cutting makes life easier if the pieces are bigger.
There are 3 chain sizes, the pole trimmer, and small chainsaw size, the 26 size, and the 362 size and bigger. It takes more hp to run the wider chains but the oiler is less problematic, and they cut better.

Bar size - Balance, and power is what you want, reach is good but you don't always use it and it can cause you to hit the dirt more often. I have multiple bar sizes for most of my saws.

Chain "bite" - they have non-kick back blades (less aggressive) and more aggressive chains. If you are doing a good deal of work you can buy bulk chain, and a link tool to make the chains to fit your rig. You can ask shop owners to modify your chains for shorter bar sizes... they have the tools, and it's a bunch cheaper than buying new chains.

Brand - In the last decade regulations have changed how the motors are made. Each brand acted differently, and some have higher power per Cc than others. Husq, in the 36cc size seems to have one of the best solutions, but you can't beat the reputation of the stihl 362, all the power line guys clearing big limbs have them for a reason. In the smaller 26 class Stihl seems to hold that with the 261/171, however Echo makes darn good stuff and they are taking a huge bite of that market with thier saws so look at them. The only other one I'd look at is dalmer - German made, and great stuff. Home depot rents them, so if you want to try one, that's a good way of borrowing one.

Chain sharpening is important... tools are good.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/12/16.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Come on now guys. If I can sharpen a saw by hand while up in a tree anyone can learn to sharpen one on the ground by hand. Just get someone to show you.

And chisel tooth chains are the only way to fly.

Last edited by EZEARL; 10/12/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stihl 291 with 20 inch bar might be your best option in a saw for medium to light duty cutting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bea175
Stihl 291 with 20 inch bar might be your best option in a saw for medium to light duty cutting

+1 if you don't want two- that is what I would have done after owning and using the 170, 271, and 362.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Although I'll probably buy a Stihl or a Husky when I move to the farm full time, the Poulan is fine for now thanks. It runs. It makes trees go from a vertical to a horizontal configuration and it makes big logs into little logs. The problem right now is chain maintenance. A full replacement is not envisioned at this time.

BTW: I'd not thought of Hi-Test gas. That's a good trick.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Harbor freight has a chain sharpening machine (wheel) for $30 or so dollars and it gets good reviews. Add a file and faker depth guide and you would be all set to sharpen like a saw shop would.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have always sharpened by hand and no nothing about electric sharpeners. Do they lower the depth gauges or just sharpen the cutter face?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.