Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jimmyp
After considering all of this including the idea that a G19 with an RMR and suppressor height sights is going to be more cumbersome to carry and again first rule "have a gun" I got to thinking more about just buying better sights. For instance the trijicon sight with the rounded U rear sight and the big orange ball front sight really is a big help. So while I remain intrigued with these more complex systems (but not anything vortex or for that matter Keltec) it is an added level of optical and electronic complexity on a fast mover, even the lasers don't reciprocate.

Jimmy - again, re-evaluate your carry method if an RMR is an actual (not theoretical) carry problem. Personally I can't tell the difference between my stock and RMR'ed Glocks in my waistband.

If your eyes are bad enough to need a big dot orange sight, a red dot sight would help you a lot. It does require practice though, a single 20 minute range session isn't enough to see the advantage. Oregon45 said it pretty well.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/24/16.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I have timed the difference, comparing a Glock 19 with a Leupold Deltapoint installed with an iron-sighted Glock 19. In the first week of practice the dot was slower; after a week the times were equal at 10 yards and the dot was faster beyond 10 for precise shots (dot-drill, not "point shooting for center mass").

A dot is slower the first time you try it and if you don't practice it willl never get faster. But if you put the time in, the dot has several advantages and most of the so called "disadvantages" are more apparent than real.

LOL, posted at the same time, saying the same thing. smile Good explanation, probably clearer than I said it.

Are you using the original DP, or the Pro? I'm thinking of going with the DP Pro next time for the clearer glass compared to the RMR.

It was a Deltapoint Pro. I bought it because the glass was noticeably clearer than the RMR, and because I'm only a twenty minute drive from Leupold HQ so if it ever breaks, I can get it serviced quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'm aiming for a much smaller target at 15 yards if I'm trying to be precise, but I definitely can hit a chest size target every time at that distance without using sights, and your 8" circle most of the time. It's not really that hard with the right mindset and some practice.

Making hits without sights on a moving 8" target circle in low light while you will also be moving to avoid attack? That's good shooting...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have timed the difference, comparing a Glock 19 with a Leupold Deltapoint installed with an iron-sighted Glock 19. In the first week of practice the dot was slower; after a week the times were equal at 10 yards and the dot was faster beyond 10 for precise shots (dot-drill, not "point shooting for center mass").

A dot is slower the first time you try it and if you don't practice it willl never get faster. But if you put the time in, the dot has several advantages and most of the so called "disadvantages" are more apparent than real.

Help me out here. We're talking times to first shot on target - not splits?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
So does the Glock MOS model's sights allow a co-witness with the standard sights.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Help me out here. We're talking times to first shot on target - not splits?

Time to first shot on target.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by viking
So does the Glock MOS model's sights allow a co-witness with the standard sights.

No, the Glock MOS guns have the standard height sights.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by viking

The MOS models require irons that are a bit taller than normal suppressor sights to co-witness. The options are somewhat limited for now; I think Dawson makes some.

A non-MOS Glock slide milled for a red dot can use standard suppressor sights to co-witness though; there are lots of options for these. The red dot is held more securely with this method too, IMO. I'm not a big fan of the MOS mounting system myself, although I'll admit that's only from handling and reading about them, I don't own one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,732
Posts18,494,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.