Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Let me say first that I have several Timney triggers and for the most part like them. The one Timeny that I am least fond of is a 510 curved, of which I only have one. To me, the trigger shoe itself is too wide (~.375"). I really like the flat triggers #517(?) in my varmint rigs.

Putting a new, lighter weight, hunting rifle together and looking at trigger alternatives. Keeping all of the above in mind, I'm considering the Timney 510THIN trigger, with a shoe width of ~.250". Also looking at the Rifle Basix L-1K, but haven't run across any mention of the shoe width. In a perfect world, I'd like a Timney with a shoe width of ~.330" - on par with the factory Remington triggers.

Anyone have experience with the Timney thin trigger? How about the Rifle Basix? What's the shoe width on the Rifle Basix?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Timney thin trigger now that replaced a Rifle Basix. After 1500 rounds, the Rifle Basix developed creep that could not be adjusted out. I called my gunsmith who builds duty tactical rifles and he stated several had problems that he built and had since switched to Timney. I went that route and also have one in my Knight MK-85. It's been a good trigger.

One other trigger to consider is the Shilen. It too has a think shoe and is comparable to the Timney.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a thin shoe trigger on this rifle. Its my first Timney and sure like it. I've always been a big fan of the Shilens also but I think I might like the Timney better. The shoe width on the thin trigger is really good, about like an older factory Remington trigger I would say.

Can't really tell in the pic but its nice IMHO.

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't have the RB but do have two timney 510s. I like them both, but prefer the narrow one. Until I tried the Timney, I was a die hard Shilen fan. No more. The Timney is better.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold off my Timney 510's. Much prefer the Shilen and Trigger Tech.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 for the trigger tech its a very nice trigger. mine brakes crisp at 1lb 10oz and is very consistent.

I have messed around with pretty much every trigger brand. The shilen trigger is nice and has the thinnest shoe of all of them. The timeny is nice but I much prefer a factory rem 700 tuned and stoned set at 1.75lbs than paying for a timney.

The RB is a nice trigger, we put one in my brothers rifle and he likes it a lot. Its the varmint model and breaks crisp.

I have messed around with a few jewel triggers and IMHO they aren't worth the money unless you want a trigger under 10oz. But that is just my opinion.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
WiFowler: I switched over to the Timney 1/4" curved and like them. I have also taken more than a few Remington Walker style triggers and flat ground the sides down to about .300. I don't use gloves and quench as soon as the steel gets warm.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Which Shilen model do you prefer?

Thanks I appreciate it

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a Timney 510THIN on its way. Should be on the doorstep Thurs. Won't take long to install and get an initial take on its feel.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BurninDupont

Thanks I appreciate it

The Standard model is the one I've used.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a 510 sitting here now ready to install in a bud's 700 5R. Not what I recommended, but it will do nicely for him, and far better than the POS I am about to remove....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my opinion Rifle Basix triggers are junk....they get very creepy over time!!

Timney, Shilen, or a Jewell all are good to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am also not a RB fan.

The Timney 510 came in at 3 lbs. exactly. I adjusted it to 1.5lbs. Then decided to leave it at 2 lbs. Zero creep, very little overtravel. I think he will like it.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I am also not a RB fan.

The Timney 510 came in at 3 lbs. exactly. I adjusted it to 1.5lbs. Then decided to leave it at 2 lbs. Zero creep, very little overtravel. I think he will like it.....

What trigger do you prefer?

Thanks

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks I appreciate it

The Standard model is the one I've used.

Thanks Jordan

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 300MAG
In my opinion Rifle Basix triggers are junk....they get very creepy over time!!

Timney, Shilen, or a Jewell all are good to go.

Agree! Had it happen to me. Won't buy another.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I am also not a RB fan.

What trigger do you prefer?

Thanks

I told him to buy a Trigger Tech. He didn't listen. I like Shilen better than Timney. But Timney isn't horrible. They are ok. The one I installed yesterday was pretty nice, but no better than a slicked up old school 700 trigger.

I would be happy with a Rem 40X LE trigger over RB, Timney, or Shilen....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Got a Timney 510THIN on its way. Should be on the doorstep Thurs. Won't take long to install and get an initial take on its feel.

Well, the Timney 510 THIN arrived. Actually, 2 of them. Installed both last night. Initial thought is that I like the THIN version much better than the standard 510. Truth will be told when I take the rifle(s) out tomorrow for some test firing/sighting in.

As an interesting side note, one of the triggers I replaced was an X-Mark. Decided to put it in another lesser used rifle. Installed it without incident and went on to do some adjustment to the pull weight. I got the X-Mark set to a satisfactory pull weight and did some checking for 'slam-fire', etc. On the last pull of the trigger, it BROKE. Literally, BROKE. The trigger shoe broke loose right at the screw hole for adjustment !! I ordered another 510THIN this morning!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
On the last pull of the trigger, it BROKE. Literally, BROKE. The trigger shoe broke loose right at the screw hole for adjustment !!

If it's any consolation, yours ain't the first..... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a new, unused one lying down on my bench, if interested grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,799 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,362
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.