Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by colorado bob
If it wasn't for the electoral college-----Al Gore would have beaten GW Bush. Gore won the popular vote but lost in the electoral college.

Hopefully we have reached a point where we now fully understand that our government is full of lying mfers and little, if anything, that comes out of their mouths can be believed or trusted.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Electoral college or not, that is what we have right now. And, according the Knoxville News, the voting in TN is at a record high. Long lines and people still are waiting to vote. Here in Chattanooga, my wife and I stood in line over an hour and were number 282 and 283 that hour voting. Many of the national news agencies are saying this will be a low turn out but that does not seem to be the truth. FL is reporting a record mail in ballot this year and so are other states. No one is reporting, that I've heard, who is winning but when you hear that voters in Memphis are turning out in record numbers, you can bet those of us voting for Trump better get out and vote. For those that don't know, Memphis has a majority black population and will vote Hillary. I personally do not believe that Hillary is 6 points ahead of Trump. I believe this is going to be very close and every vote will count.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Ah the Electorial College....now I remember why I don't vote.

There's some internet brilliance.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We can either note vote and help Clinton make war on guns or we can stand up like men and defend the 2nd amendment. If you don't vote you're not even a man.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
If it wasn't for the electoral college-----Al Gore would have beaten GW Bush. Gore won the popular vote but lost in the electoral college.

This is true, The College does give low population states slightly more voting power than counting by state population would grant.

The issue isn't the EC, but the winner take all way votes are assigned and this isn't a function of the Consitution, the EC, its the way most states have set it up. I would guess that in most states it could be changed by by passing a law.

Interestingly enough a couple of states allow referendums by ballot and California (where 12 million or so somewhat conservative votes are disenfranchised) is one such state and I wonder why there hasn't been a Proposition ever offered. It looks like 14 of the 53 congressional districts are held by R's despite some brutal gerrymandering. And one would have to think knowing that your vote might count would encourage a better R turnout which might turn a couple more. SO changing CA to EC representation by congressional district might mean 14-16 EC votes go R, a big swing.

I would guess you would see the same in NY too.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Harry M
How many remember "voter intent"?

If the ballot selection was not marked for President, or not "clear" if marked or not, the Democrats were then determining the vote by "voter intent" based on how the voter marked the ballot overall.

This meant that the "interpreter" of that ballot became the actual voter on that ballot.

Florida was the tip of the iceberg that evening.

It was a Republican party member who took home the ballots and "cleaned them up", not a democrat

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

heaven help me but sometimes i wonder where we would be now if gore had won. bush fugged schit up so bad that its hard to imagine it being worse.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The electoral and amortization schedule needs to go, they were both built and put into place for cheating and hopes for failure.

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rem141r

heaven help me but sometimes i wonder where we would be now if gore had won. bush fugged schit up so bad that its hard to imagine it being worse.

5000 American's would not be dead, and a few tens of thousands would not have been wounded.

But the economy would still be effed. That was clinton/graham

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gore would have 1st apologized to Al Qaida for their people getting killed on 9/11. Then he would have complained about the global warming caused by the WTC burning.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cisco1

If votes mattered ........."they" wouldn't let us do it.

EXACTAMUNDO!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jacques_La_Rami
My vote for POTUS, won't count, I'm ok with that, but I'll cast it anyway. I don't think that ever in my lifetime, Wyoming ever sent anything other than all 3 electoral college votes to Republicans, but there are plenty of down ballot things we need to keep conservative as well.

The Congress is as important as the presidency. If the political right can control the Congress we can control the president. Just wait and see; Charles Grassley is the Chair of the Senate Judiciary, if Hillary get's elected she is going to have a tough time getting ANY of her Supreme Court picks through his committee. I certainly hope he rejects many of them before they agree on one. (Ted Cruz should be on this committee if he is not)

And, every time she nominates one, it's a battle that leaves her bruised and wore out. If you have a member of the Senate on the Judiciary committee you should be telling him or her who you want to see on the SCOTUS.

If you want to see things change an occasional letter to your elected representatives carries some weight.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If votes didn't matter it would be Jeb Bush v. Hillary right now.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kwg020

The Congress is as important as the presidency. If the political right can control the Congress we can control the president.

Yeah, they've done a great job of that with Obama 🙄

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

The Congress is as important as the presidency. If the political right can control the Congress we can control the president.

We don't have national background check and Scalia's seat is still open. If the D's had congress we wouldn't be so lucky.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Speaking of congress and senate! How many of you here have races where you are comfortable voting a total ticket/ i.e. straight D or straight R. Usually do here R but not this time have to split to go for D governor for sure!How about youall??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have trouble with the "all or none" aspect of the Electoral College. If the Congressional Districts are apportioned as equally as possible, wouldn't assigning the electoral votes by district have a better chance of reflecting the wishes of more people (assuming that is a desirable thing)?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

We don't have national background check and Scalia's seat is still open. If the D's had congress we wouldn't be so lucky.

We have Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. Our health care system has been destroyed and my health care premiums are going up 71% for the same coverage next year. We have the most number of people on welfare in our history with the lowest labor workforce participation rate since the 1950's, which is the true measure of unemployment. The middle east is far more unstable than it was when Obama got into office with ISIS taking over large swaths, a fact that is going to cause us untold amounts of trouble in the coming years. Gay marriage is now the law of the land, the Secretary of the Army is now an openly gay man whose "husband" held the bible when he was sworn into office. Our military has now been reduced to a freakshow social experiment instead of an effective fighting force. The national debt has doubled to almost $20 trillion. The amount added under Obama has been more than all other previous presidents combined since the inception of the country. Taxes have increased to unprecedented levels, my own federal income taxes last year were $12,000 more than they would have been pre-Obama tax increases according to my accountant.

All of these and many more are items that the republicans in congress should have stopped but didn't. Yes, we still have our guns but our country is being taken apart piece by piece. By any measure the republicans have been a miserable failure in blocking Obama's agenda, he's gotten 90% of what he's wanted with very little effectual opposition by the republican controlled congress. We shouldn't be ready to break our arms by patting ourselves on the backs over the great job our republican congress has done. I personally would rather keep my guns and not have my country destroyed too. I don't think that's too much to ask.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
People have forgotten the republic. Respresentatives to REASONABLY make laws for the good, without doing damage to the minority.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to vote to counteract my sisters vote. Damn shame

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,960 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.