Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by selmer
So you ship firearms through USPS? Brilliant

All the time. Why not ship long guns that way?

I do too. Never a problem.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Yep, that's why I only ship golf clubs.. wink

I guess it saves you money on insurance.

New set of golf clubs will run you the cost of a nice Montana - easily.

A 2000 dollar insurance purchase on "Golf Clubs" or "Machine parts" wouldn't raise an eyebrow...

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a continually confusing problem for people. FedEx cannot establish law. Neither can USPS, or UPS. A private individual can legally ship a long gun via USPS, UPS, FedEx or any common carrier. Only an FFL can ship a handgun via USPS, and it is rather entertaining to shove it up their dark star when you have a lefty liberal at the counter.

FedEx has a policy of only shipping handguns via their 2 Day or Express service, but I have shipped handguns via FedEx Ground.

As Jorge wrote- the trick is to have an account, print your own label and remove the counter idiot from the equation.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I recently shipped a rifle that I sold to another forum member to his FFL. I used a FedEx store. Shipped ground and insured for well under thirty dollars from DFW to southern AZ. Identified as a gun. They did bash me for another few bucks as they didn't like my original packing which was wrapped in brown paper. They wanted it in a plain unwrapped box. I had it in a CZ box from a recent purchase and did not want that advertised to the driver(s). I had sold the piece shipped, so the three day delivery was no biggie to me.

Kicker. I used my SIL's FFL to ship. I may have used his store front address as a shipped from. Like Hillary, I don't remember small details.

Best, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.

Use a plain brown box (or have any logos or old shipping material marked over - I use black spray paint) and a printed out shipping label paid for over the net securely attached with clear tape.

Walk in to shipping point of choice, lay package on counter and say in a cheerful voice, "this is ready to go!". Clerk says "thanks!", then I walk out and everyone is happy. At USPS they will ask if it is liquid, fragile, perishable or potentially hazardous or contains lithium batteries, to which I reply "nope" then I walk out and everyone is happy. At least that's how it's gone when using UPS, FedEx and USPS at several different shipping points.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by selmer
So you ship firearms through USPS? Brilliant

All the time. Why not ship long guns that way?

I stand corrected. I've always been under the impression that USPS didn't ship guns from non-licensees. Period. I was wrong. Thanks!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My package was in a plain brown box, with prepaid shipping label (securely taped to the box) that I generated off their website at my home on my account. Still the dimwit asked if it was a gun.

I went down to the Ground shipping office at 4:30 pm, as the driver had told me. He was already there and told me that he already had my package on the truck. He also told me that it was only handguns that they wanted shipped Express or overnight.

The dimwit at the storefront shipping office wouldn't even look at me.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Stocks removed from rifles etc help much. Nothing screams GUN like a 4' long box and is only 5 inches deep and 12 inches wide.

As I told a chick at FEDEX one day when she asked 'Does this contain a gun' I asked her 'Why didn't you ask the 2 people in front of me that question when they dropped off boxes?'

I told her one could easily fit 2 handguns in either of those boxes.

And that's the point, don't make it look like a gun box.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For that matter I have SHIPPED the stock to the individual and the barreled action to the FFL.

Of course you can't sell like that to retards, they'd never get the damned thing back together and bitch about it endlessly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I guess it saves you money on insurance.

New set of golf clubs will run you the cost of a nice Montana - easily.

A 2000 dollar insurance purchase on "Golf Clubs" or "Machine parts" wouldn't raise an eyebrow...

I assumed he meant, maybe tongue in cheek, that he ships a gun and claims that it is golf clubs. Based on that assumption, insuring against damage when it is indeed damaged and discovered to be gun will be useless in trying to recover under insurance. Loss? Maybe O.K.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shipped a Lee-Enfiekd this morning via local UPS agent at the hardware store. "What's in the box?" "Machined metal parts." Went without a hitch.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's a local UPS/Fedex store. I don't know anymore than that. Just that they won't send guns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
It's a local UPS/Fedex store. I don't know anymore than that. Just that they won't send guns.

They are not considered "common carriers" by law and may not ship guns.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If it is not an actual FedEx facility, just a business set up to accept FedEx shipments they cannot legally accept firearms.

I have experienced the same problem. I have to take them to a FedEx facility not a place that accepts packages for FedEx.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teal
That's not a FedEx problem, you basically said it yourself.

That's a dumbphouck behind the counter problem and he'd be an issue if his shirt was brown (UPS) or blue (USPS) not just purple (FedEx).

fwiw & imho,
You said said a mouth full there... The stupidity and firearms prejudice can wear any uniform and the ignorance runs deep...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've shipped machined parts many times. So far so good. Having an account makes things easier as some have mentioned.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm pretty sure you have to notify a common carrier that you are shipping a firearm. You do not have to notify USPS. I think dealing with employees who don't know the laws or regulations happens more often than not. I had to get the post master involved the first time I mailed a rifle. He didn't even know the regulation and had to "look into" and get back to me. Now I print off my shipping label, take the box in and drop it off. It gives them less time to ask questions they shouldn't be asking.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Car parts.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is it illegal to tell UPS or Fedex you are shipping machined parts, golf clubs, etc when you are actually shipping a long gun?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cdb
Is it illegal to tell UPS or Fedex you are shipping machined parts, golf clubs, etc when you are actually shipping a long gun?

How can that be illegal? A firearm is indeed machined parts.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,373
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.