Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hear you buddy. With the Mashburn sighted in 3" high with a (160 AB at 3200) at 100 it makes 0-400 yards really easy.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Our military snipers have made some very long shots and kills with a 308 at around 2600fps...

Snipers also have a proportion of what civilians commonly refer to as 'un-confirmed' kills ..Even the military criteria for establishing
what civilians call 'confirmed' kills (for snipers) varies and can be different to the way civilian hunters confirm a kill on game.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

I learned the same from Bob Hagel and still run my guns that way from the 35 Whelen to the 7mm Mashburn...

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Finally some backup.

Dang, I have been flamed more times than I can count for recomending a 300 yd or possibly longer zero.

The midrange trajecty is not quite so problematic in the 30-06 with a good 165 boat tail handloaded to 65,000 psi using a slow burn rate powder.

WELL...Praise The Lord and Pass the Jar ! ! !

For the past few years I've explained this 300 yd zero over and over. It seemed as tho NO ONE except Bobin NH ever heard of it.

I'm SO GLAD to know some know about it.

Idaho Shooter - This year I'll be hunting an 06 with 165 BTSP at 2900 + myself---sighted 3" hi at 100 yd.

It sure feels good to have some company. I really thot this was a LOST system.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My last two bulls were both killed right at 400 yds per LRF with a high rib hold using the STW and the 162 Hornady btsp. No messing with dials, no clutter in the windshield.

Does a hunting rifle scope really need to resmble the HUD from an F/A 18 Super Hornet?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Does a hunting rifle scope really need to resmble the HUD from an F/A 18 Super Hornet?

Absolutely not. The only reason I like/use 4-12X40s is, Ark. has a 3 pt on 1 side antler law.

REGARDLESS of how large the body OR antlers, there MUST be 3 pts on 1 side of an antler to be legal.

I killed a 6 pt buck, 175-178 lbs., with 17 1/2" inside spread. I had to study the rack for some time to see A 3rd point.

Otherwise a simple 6 X and maybe with dots would be all that's necessary.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I hunt in South GA. 95% of my shots are under 200 yards.

I choose a good bullet...start at the medium powder charge...then increment charge up to the best accuracy...at which point I stop.

I am fortunant to see enough deer during the season that I can wait on a good angle. We can leagally kill 10 deer in Ga. There is no need to be in a hurry and that makes it easy to pass questionable shots.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jwall

Absolutely not. The only reason I like/use 4-12X40s is, Ark. has a 3 pt on 1 side antler law.

REGARDLESS of how large the body OR antlers, there MUST be 3 pts on 1 side of an antler to be legal.

I killed a 6 pt buck, 175-178 lbs., with 17 1/2" inside spread. I had to study the rack for some time to see A 3rd point.

Otherwise a simple 6 X and maybe with dots would be all that's necessary.

Jerry

A good pair of binos would be a better solution to that problem.

I always bought cheap binos in the past...and never used them. Picked up a pair on Minox during a closeout several years ago. Some of the best money I've spent in optics!! They stay in my truck during hunting season. Won't leave home without them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by beretzs

I learned the same from Bob Hagel and still run my guns that way from the 35 Whelen to the 7mm Mashburn...

Finally some backup.

Dang, I have been flamed more times than I can count for recomending a 300 yd or possibly longer zero.

The midrange trajecty is not quite so problematic in the 30-06 with a good 165 boat tail handloaded to 65,000 psi using a slow burn rate powder.

WELL...Praise The Lord and Pass the Jar ! ! !

For the past few years I've explained this 300 yd zero over and over. It seemed as tho NO ONE except Bobin NH ever heard of it.

I'm SO GLAD to know some know about it.

Idaho Shooter - This year I'll be hunting an 06 with 165 BTSP at 2900 + myself---sighted 3" hi at 100 yd.

It sure feels good to have some company. I really thot this was a LOST system.

Jerry

300 yard zero is not unusual in Wyoming. I typically use 250 yards on guns without dials.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
beretzs -

I had forgotten about Bob Hagel. I have his book and the 300 yd zero is charted for multiple cartridges IIRC.

Thnx for reminding me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A. Sniper -

I would think that longer sight in range would be very useful in the Western States. Glad to know it's not lost.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My last two bulls were both killed right at 400 yds per LRF with a high rib hold using the STW
and the 162 Hornady btsp. No messing with dials, no clutter in the windshield.

Maybe they don't need such scopes , just like you don't really need a hyper vel. STW for 400yd shots.
Ive achieved +/- 400yd DRTs with much slower muz. velocities and steeper trajectories (250yd zero)
and no messing with the Leup. scope dials.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
beretzs -

I had forgotten about Bob Hagel. I have his book and the 300 yd zero is charted for multiple cartridges IIRC.

Thnx for reminding me.

Jerry

No problem... as a kid I devoured anything written by him. Like a few others most of what he says still applies to big game hunting. Between him and BobinNH I've reverted to the 7 Mashburn and Bitterroots and couldn't be happier.

Zeroed at 300 yards as well.. grin

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Back when I was guiding in the 1980's, when backing up mule deer and pronghorn hunters I carried a .257 Roberts with 100-grain Partitions handloaded to about 3250 fps, with the rifle sighted-in at 300 yards. (This was sort of a Bob Hagel-level load, but not excessive in the rifle's 24" barrel.) Along with using the scope's duplex reticle as a rangefinder and longer-range aiming point, this made finishing off wounded animals much easier back before lasers and "turrets" appeared on the market.

Oh, and when sighted-in at 300, the point-of-impact at 100 yards was just about exactly three inches high.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Jerry, to clarify, holding at the top of the animal's back at 400 may be a good system, but holding over where you want the bullet to hit is not what most people call MPRB. That was the reason for my question--not an explanation of the trajectory, just clarification on the 400-yard MPRB.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I am one who maintains that flat trajectory is still very useful in BG hunting despite the new technology;LRF's don't always give a reading and BG animals have the bad habit of not being as cooperative at standing around as fixed targets and gongs. I will still take that 3000-3200 fps whenever i can get it.

As Stick likes to say, it's not tough to 'cipher those who shoot from the ones that don't.

North of 3000 can be awful handy at times.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And yet, while MV helps with wind, generally folks that talk what I call mid range shots, are alwyas worried about drop, which can be covered, but never mention wind, which affects things certainly starting at 300 and beyond....

Drop has never been a concern of mine. Wind has always been a concern that needs to be worked with to be understood.

Which has lead me to saying most folks have no business past 200 yards, if that.

I regularly can shoot out to 600ish yards on deer where we hunt. Open country on the one side. The wind is a much larger worry...I can hit them with a rangefinder plus I know how far each ridge, clump of trees is etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
i absolutely suck at range estimation...

i have a 257 and 270 weatherby , both zero'd at 300yds.

the velocity gives me a pretty sweet fat margin of error

edit: the wind on the other hand! but im a better estimator of wind drift

Last edited by jmd025; 10/26/16.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
That was the reason for my question--not an explanation of the trajectory, just clarification on the 400-yard MPRB.

I and others consider it MPBR per your target ie deer.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
And yet, while MV helps with wind, generally folks that talk what I call mid range shots, are alwyas worried about drop, which can be covered, but never mention wind, which affects things certainly starting at 300 and beyond....

Drop has never been a concern of mine. Wind has always been a concern that needs to be worked with to be understood.

Jeff I have played with wind here and out west enough to be cognizant of it;even in fun shooting out there at rocks and coyotes and watched the wind just blow bullets completely off track.

So yes, I pay a lot of attention to it and have passed shots and even backed off a stalk because the wind was too bad to risk and shot.

Like you say, I can control drop via knowing trajectory but wind is tougher...and IME much worse at full value. I passed a shot at the biggest bull elk Ive ever seen with a tag in my pocket because there was no escaping a full value wind that was leaning ponderosa pines way over and I could not be sure of the effect at close to 600 yards.

Don't talk about it because my inclination is to pass the shot if i think it's bad. I can control and manipulate trajectory in advance but I never know what the wind is going to be come time to shoot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
That was the reason for my question--not an explanation of the trajectory, just clarification on the 400-yard MPRB.

I and others consider it MPBR per your target ie deer.

Jerry

I have used a 3" high @ 100yds MPBR for my 7mags since 1980. It is very effective to say the least.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 36 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,151
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.