Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Professional Hunters demand the exact opposite. I expect to get to Alaska one of these days, but I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get there and we are about to move in on a bear...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had one Rem trigger issue and I currently have 5 700's. The one issue was with a gun assembled by Brown Precision and not touched by anyone but them. The gun fired on bolt closing on the range over sand bags twice in a row. I had hunted the gun for several years after purchase with NO issues. When we dissasambled the gun my smith buddy took the trigger apart and found a sliver of metal had peeled off the sear. He stoned the parts square again and reassembled. I have now shot the gun for another ten years with no issues.

Once a year I take all of my 700's down and clean the trigger group with a spray brake parts cleaner to keep any oil accumulation from gunking them up. I have both old bolt locking and newer model triggers and none of the x triggers. The only let off reduction have been done by professional smiths and all of the screws have been resealed with something to include nail polish.

I also clean my Ruger 77's that way once a year.

YMMV

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Walkers floating connector is an AD just waiting to happen. Flawed design from the git go.

From an engineer's perspective I agree with this. 99.999% of the time is just not good enough when it comes to triggers. The old Walker design with the floating connector is simply one to many parts for 100% reliability, especially if someone has monkey'ed with it like you mentioned.

I experienced this first-hand with a friend's 700 in 280rem. Loved the gun and caliber until a cold morning when the grease/oil/whatever he had built up within the trigger caused the connector to hang. Released the safety and "CLICK" on an empty chamber. I could NEVER trust it after that.

I would either send it to Remington to get an X-Mark trigger installed (different internal design vs. old Walker style) or get a Timney. I am a big fan of the Timney.

IIRC even Walker told Remington the design was not good. I don't understand why so many people run around in denial of this problem with the Walker trigger.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I agree with docbill.

Take some brake cleaner and spray the trigger housing...if you have not already done so.

If you spray over a container, you should see some discoloration in the run off.

Give it time to dry...then oil exactly the way the instructions say.

I've had the same issue...one time. Years of improper oiling that had become sticky was causing the sear to drag and not to pop up fast enough to hold the firing pin back.

Might be the cause of you wows as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TomM1
Hunting in Alaska is much, much different. I grew up hunting in the east, always had a hot chamber and a safety I could some what rely on (not a 700). When I started hunting in Alaska during my residence there, I heeded the advice of those more experienced than me and only carried rounds in the magazine. I continued that practice for ten years and enforced it upon friends and family I hunted with. No one ever had a mishap, and good thing as help is usually too far away to make a difference. You simply dont jump shoot animals in Alaska, its mostly a pure spot and stalk. I never felt hindered by not carrying a chambered round. Now that I am back east and "big game" ala deer are hunted much the same as cottontails, carrying an empty chamber would be akin to throwing a speer...

When in Rome do what the Romans do...perspective and locale is relative.

Having shot deer in no fewer than half the states in the US with cold chambers I have trouble understanding how people psych themselves into thinking it cannot be done. Virtually all of the border states, north and south, and a pretty good mixture of the rest...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by jorgeI

It also brings up the simple point that one should never have a hot chamber until the last minute in getting ready to shoot...

Hoo Boy! Now you done it! shocked And just as this thread was going to bed too.

(Not that you're wrong; just the way I do it as well.... what's a safety? )

Yep, complete nonsense.

I have yet to meet an AK guide that agrees with you...

Ahem!! I was agreeing with you. crazy (Does that mean you don't agree with yourself? grin ) The guides I know agree with ME! laugh

Yup, I agree with you!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nearly one year since this Alaska Hunter Safety Instructor lost the battle with a

hot chamber....

Think I missed that one... I was in NY deer hunting with a cold chamber.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Nearly one year since this Alaska Hunter Safety Instructor lost the battle with a

hot chamber....

You're about the only one. I've hunted deer all over NYS for 41 years. I personally know hundreds of deer hunters and have run into probably hundreds more out hunting and I don't know, nor have I ever run into ONE who hunts a cold chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

hot chamber....

I suspect we could all tell a story or three of a close call of some kind where we knew better and things could have turned out way worse than they did, whether with a gun, a knife, a boat, truck....whatever. But this fellow, a very respected guy who came up on the wrong end of one such situation - which a cold chamber would have, for certain, prevented. I dropped off a half-cord of bone dry spruce (to his widow) last weekend, and it seems like the pain, though she is learning to live beyond it, never goes away. The world isn't better for the loss of more good people - as I think the majority of folks here probably are.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 10/26/16.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Walkers floating connector is an AD just waiting to happen. Flawed design from the git go.

From an engineer's perspective I agree with this. 99.999% of the time is just not good enough when it comes to triggers. The old Walker design with the floating connector is simply one to many parts for 100% reliability, especially if someone has monkey'ed with it like you mentioned.

Anyone who studies it carefully and uses their noggin should be able to see that this is TRUE.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never seen anybody hunt with a cold chamber in my life.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Docbill

Once a year I take all of my 700's down and clean the trigger group with a spray brake parts cleaner to keep any oil accumulation from gunking them up. I have both old bolt locking and newer model triggers and none of the x triggers. The only let off reduction have been done by professional smiths and all of the screws have been resealed with something to include nail polish.

I also clean my Ruger 77's that way once a year.

YMMV

There you go.

Most folks don't clean their trigger assemblies. Very few used rifles I've bought off the gun rack had clean triggers or bolt/firing pins.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
I never seen anybody hunt with a cold chamber in my life.

NOR have I. I've hunted Ark, La, Miss, & Al. I don't know anyone personally who hunts w/a cold chamber.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH

IIRC even Walker told Remington the design was not good. I don't understand why so many people run around in denial of this problem with the Walker trigger.

You're killing me Bob.

I've heard this several times, nobody can tell me where or when Walker allegedly said that.

I'm pretty sure it's the program you haven't seen (Remington Under Fire), where Walker criticizes Remington for changing his inspection protocol on some of the trigger parts after he retired. In the same interview Walker says his design is a good one.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Here you guys go. To cut to the chase Walker's interview starts at 24:35.

Remington Under Fire

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Casey-

I really have heard BOTH versions of that and I don't let it bother me. I've been running 700s since 1975 OR 1976. I swear I've never had ONE problem. I don't lose sleep over it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Jerry,

I know, I know. It's just the whole urban myth about Remington's triggers.........how otherwise reasonable can people believe in voodoo......

Sheesh.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have had one for 30 to 40 years, bought it used, adjusted trigger myself and have had no issue.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a ten-minute video where a gunsmith explains the problem of the Remington trigger quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqRH3tHhdM,

He doesn't feel that there is much of a problem as long as the trigger is adjusted properly and kept clean.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yup that's what I had seen before. The memo's are what they are.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.