-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are rifles with the X-mark trigger having issues also or only the older style trigger?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I always hunt with a cold rifle. As Jorge notes, I am sure when head out for buffalo next year I will be asked to carry hot.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was asked to swap four Remington triggers to Timney triggers a few years ago, all of the triggers to be removed were X Mark triggers. The owner of the rifles said they, according to Remington, were all under the replacement program that was new and effect at that time. These 4 triggers were not all the same but were called X Mark triggers. Two had no external adjustments,(meaning having to take barreled action out of the stock), and the other two had external adjustments using a Remington provided allen wrench. One of those had a hole in the trigger guard and came with a wrench with a green handle. The other had no hole in the trigger guard and had a regular looking allen wrench. I am not sure, but my guess is that there must have been another model after I replaced those four.
I have no idea what the current X Mark trigger looks like, but I assume it is almost "lawyer proof".
If I had a bunch of the pre X Mark triggers, I could make some decent money on them! smile They are also safe if taken care of and used properly.
Ken

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Casey-
I really have heard BOTH versions of that and I don't let it bother me. I've been running 700s since 1975 OR 1976. I swear I've never had ONE problem. I don't lose sleep over it.
Jerry

I DON'T imply by any means that others have NOT encountered trigger problems. It's just I haven't.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just do an internet search for 700 triggers and litigation. IT's there and it's real. Now do one fro Model 70, Ruger, Savage, etc.

HINT: there aren't any.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TomM1
If your a remington type kind of guy, sell the 700's and get 760/7600s. If your just a bolt guy, sell the 700's and get a tikka/ruger/M70/CZ.

Damn! That comment just gave me a case of the schits!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt cold chamber quite a bit..several things make it a necessity, in my opinion. One is rough country, another is needing to sling the rifle, and the third is hunting in close proximity to other people. More than once I've had someone with a hot chambered rifle slung over their shoulder manage to point the rifle close enough me to make me nervous. I can bolt a cartridge in pretty quickly. When I use a lever action it is almost instantaneous. I do hunt hot chamber if I am putting the sneak on a deer I've previously seen, or when I'm on a stand. I even bird hunt cold chamber a lot...with a pump action it's easy. Just drop the hammer on an empty chamber with the shotgun pointing safely away from anything you don't want to shoot, and then while bringing the shotgun up, work the action. It's pretty fast! Has being cold chamber cost me a deer or a bird? Probably...but it's worth it in my opinion. One of my former hunting buddies used to carry hot chamber in the vehicle...we're still friends but we don't hunt together anymore.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know if it matters but Remington designed and built the Walker triggers. The XMP triggers are sourced from an outside vender and Remington did NOT design them. This of course does not let Remington off the hook...if anything it makes for one more area where quality control is out of their hands. Ive heard tell that they have also outsourced all wood stocks.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
To the OP, I see you haven't responded back on here. IF your trigger is eligible, call Remington. They will let you send them JUST the trigger if you want. I have done this twice. The new triggers are also adjustable but most folks don't use common sense when doing so.

As to the new topic; hunting with a cold chamber, hunting in Alaska is no different than hunting anywhere else for the most part- safe is safe.

If you are hunting with ANYONE else, an empty chamber is a good practice. If you are creeping through thick timber expecting to jump something, an empty chamber is a huge handicap. I keep my chamber empty most of the time. I'll chamber a round when I sit down to make a stand (varmint calling, elk calling etc). I'll keep it loaded when still hunting thick stuff and the rifle is IN MY HANDS. When I am hunting with anyone else. I keep my chamber empty until time to shoot and expect the same from them or won't hunt with them.

When I get a new 700 in to work on, I typically remove the trigger and throw it in the ultrasonic tank. I think inspect it with an eye loupe thoroughly. After that, I clean with solvent, dry and lube properly. I reinstall and make sure it is adjusted to be safe. I won't set them too low even if someone insists. I make them buy a Shilen or Timney if they want a 2# trigger.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

There are several variations of the Walker trigger, beginning with the M721, the X Mark which lasted only a couple years, and the externally adjustable X Mark Pro.

Most folks can't tell you what trigger they have on their Rem centerfires.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if my son was going to use this rifle I would have the trigger replaced with something else that blocks the sear just for my own sanity, you can buy timneys for around $100.00 dollars and that is cheap insurance and peace of mind when it comes to my children

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Just do an internet search for 700 triggers and litigation. IT's there and it's real. Now do one fro Model 70, Ruger, Savage, etc.

Could be because there are darn near as many 700's as all the others you mentioned combined.

It's a numbers game Jorge.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
I bought a Timney, put it in, problem solved.

^ This

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had the same experience with a Rem trigger. Same deal. Twice or three times in a row it dropped the hammer when the safety was moved to the off position. Near brand new 700. Never messed with the trigger at all.

Chamber was empty.

Hasn't done it since.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Walkers floating connector is an AD just waiting to happen. Flawed design from the git go.

Walker recognized that not long after he invented it.
Walker wanted to change it.
Would have cost Rem. .02 per trigger and the company said no.
The original floating connector trigger when built and adjusted to Walkers specs.
Worked.
What Rem. did after Walker retired.
ie... chit machine work..
And what every half assed dickfaced smith has adjusted.
Is where the problem comes from.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm convinced that's why the old M70 trigger was discontinued.

No problems like a Walker and it was very reliable; but it could be too easily adjusted too much,and that leads to too many potential problems from a liability standpoint.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I recommend and install Timney triggers to all my Remington customers. Maybe Remington should consider a striker safety such as used by Winchester and Weatherby. Just sayin.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Could be because there are darn near as many 700's as all the others you mentioned combined.

It's a numbers game Jorge.

Casey

Not really. There are NONE for the other rifles. The WHOLE Remington 700 was designed to cut costs and increase production-PERIOD. From the bolt handle, sheet metal extractor, no-locking bolt safety, etc. There is a reason as to why there is an entire Cottage Industry built around "improving" 700s. Yes part of it is a numbers game but most is to improve factory shortcomings.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My dad built quite a few rifles with military Mauser actions and always used a Timney trigger in them. I have only 1 700, a newer XCR that came with the Mark X Pro trigger. When I found out about the recall, rather than send in the whole rifle and wait 6 months to get it back (in who knows what condition), I simply ordered a replacement Timney. They may not be the best for benchrest and target rifles, but they can't be beat for a hunting trigger. I will say that the 700 trigger was MUCH more expensive than the Mauser trigger....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think Timney is the way to go, for sure. I have one 700 with the old trigger. I had a problem with it once and determined that it was full of old grease and dirt. I have never had a problem since.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (204guy, 222Sako, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,850
Posts18,517,575
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.