Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello everyone,

I am starting this topic to discuss Lapua Naturalis bullets. These are lead-free bullets that seem to be popular in Scandinavian countries but are not aswell-known here. I have experimented with these bullets in my big Lazzeroni 8.59mm Titan rifle and have developed a very accurate load.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience with these bullets?

Thanks,
-Omid

Lazzeroni L2000 Rifle
[Linked Image]

Lapua Naturalis bullets (0.338)
[Linked Image]

Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan (0.338) cartridge next to a 270 round and a 243 (red dummy)
[Linked Image]

Loaded cartridges
[Linked Image]

Sample 100 yard group
[Linked Image]

GB1

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Looks like nobody is interested yet.. Here is the information page on Lapua website:

Lapua Naturalis

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm interested, I just have not worked with them yet.

I am still developing loads with Lapua brass & 155 Scenars in my 308's. And, I did not want to skew your thread by talking about Scenars.

So, following with interest.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have considered them for my Sweede. But I am too tight to pay the $$$on an unknown. Will be following this thread.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you for your support. Glad to see that others are interested in these bullets smile

I have so far loaded these only in .338 caliber: 338 Winchester Magnum and 8.59 Titan (almost like a 338 Lapua). It worked excellent in the Lazzeroni 8.59 rifle and I got two groups about 0.6 inches each. So I will continue using these bullets for this rifle.

For 338 WM, I shot 6 rounds and they hit below the paper target (the loads are mild, about 2400 f/s). The problem is these 231 grain bullets produce heavy recoil in my light .338 WM rifle so they are my 2nd choice. For this rifle, my first choice are 130 gr Lutz Moller bullets.

I have ordered Lapua Naturalis bullets in 7mm and 0.30 caliber too. I will load them soon and will share the results.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm watching with interest too. The only one I can try right now is the 140 gr 6.5mm for my 264 Win Mag. We do also have a 260 Rem and 6.5x55 in the house but really would like to see what the 264 does. I wish they also made a 277 and 358 version, maybe one day.

Gerry.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Sorry.... but everytime I see the name of that bullet in print I think I'm staring at a condom machine in a greasy grimy bathroom somewhere!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the BC on those? Couldn't they make them less blunt?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
interested, but haven't had an opportunity in 9.3.

i think that i, like many others, are looking for reasonable value - even with lead free bullets

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Omid,
Now that you have brought this up I began looking in to them. I will order some 156's for testing in my 280's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello everyone,

I have been traveling in the past few days so I did not have a chance to do any reloading but I will do a first set of loads soon. I am very glad hearing that other members are interested in these bullets too.

As we move forward, I will load these in 7mm Mag, 7X64 Breneke, 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby using the following process:

1- Assume that Norma MRP is 'close to' VihtaVuori N-165.

2- Figure out approximate charge of Norma MRP from loads listed in Lapua Naturalis Official Loads.

3- Compare load suggested from Step 2 to loads listed in latest Norma reloading handbook to make sure they are safe and within range.

4- Full-length resize some fired brass cases (12 to 18 rounds) for each caliber. (the loads are intended for hunting)

5- load 3 cartridges with A grains of powder, then another 3 with A+1 grain, another three with A+2 grain, etc. Mark the cartridges with a marker pen indicating their charge.

6- Then go to range and test fire the loads in groups of three. After two sets of three shots, put the rifle aside and test loads for a different caliber. This way, the rifles get a chance to cool down between shots.

Once a good load is found for a specific caliber, load the same charge in new brass (5 rounds) and test again. If all is well, load 20-50 rounds and keep for hunting/shooting.

-Omid

Last edited by Omid; 11/09/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
What is the BC on those? Couldn't they make them less blunt?

These look like the new pointier ones. The old ones were even worst. These are from my .264 bullet test.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Thank you for posting the test pictures! Very interesting! It seems that these bullets perform very well upon impact. As another member noted, these are not designed to have a particularly high ballistic coefficient. They are designed with focus on performance on game. The relatively large frontal area (the part covered by green plastic) ensures reliable expansion.

Here is a list of the new generation of Naturalis bullets:

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Hello again,

I have a questions related to reloading:

Q) I plan to reload my test rounds using previously fired brass (full-length resized). Then, once I find the right load, I want to load new brass (which can be from a different manufacturer). Is there a problem with this method? Can a good accurate load developed using re-used brass turn out not good when loaded in a new brass?

Here is a test round (empty) I made for 300 WM using new Nosler brass. This was to test C.O.L. I figured I can seat the bullet a bit longer than standard in my Sauer 202 (C.O.L. = 3.38 inches). The planned test charge is 72 grain to 76 grains of Norma MRP.

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Looks like I am alone in this topic again! Could someone please answer my question above? Thanks! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Omid,

There is a potential for having over pressure loads when working up loads with 1x brass, then loading the same load in new brass, particularly when changing brands of brass. New lots of brass by the same manufacturer can vary in thickness and brass by different manufacturers may vary a lot in thickness. Hot loads worked up w/ 1x fired brass may result in a dangerous pressure load when using new brass from a different manufacturer.

I generally buy a lot of brass, work up loads with it new, use until time to discard brass and then repeat w/ a new lot. Established loads can easily be checked with a quick powder spread work-up and a chronograph to ensure they are safe with the new brass. In my opinion it's worth checking to ensure you won't have a problem.

HTH

David

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hi David,

Thank you for your response. I don't generally use maximum loads but I will remember your point regarding case capacity.:)

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
my understanding is that a particular load in different brands of brass, and even different lots of the same brand, can result in variations in pressure. i would think this is not as critical an issue if you're not up to max pressure loads.
it seems the conventional wisdom is to drop back a bit and "work up" again (using a chronograph) with the new brass.

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you talking new brass as in you bought a bunch and are keeping some back for hunting loads, or new as in your are going to buy more. The same lot, unfired brass could raise pressure. It would not be measurable.

Different lots will probably change pressures. The thing is, how much? This gets into all the possible variables, and the reason to stay back from the red line on pressure.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you for the comments. I did a new series of loads and decided to use new brass. I don't think there should be any excessive pressure issue if the load is below maximum and the case has some room (whether brass is new or fired/resized before). I just want my load to have sufficient velocity and best accuracy for hunting.

Here are the load data (yet to be fired and tested):

7mm Remington Magnum: 60 - 62 grain Norma MRP, Lapua Naturalis 155 grain bullet

300 Winchster Magnum: 72 -76 grain Norma MRP, Lapua Naturalis 170 grain bullet

300 Weatherby Magnum: 82-86 grain Norma MRP, Lapua Naturalis 170 grain bullet

And here are some pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those look good I'll be watching with interest how your latest loads do.

Gerry.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Have seen about a dozen "bang flop" kills on cow moose, boar and fallow deer from members of my hunting team when I lived in Sweden. Maybe half dozen more that went up to 50 meters after the shot. Most all the shots were under 100 meters and were fired from .308 Win or .30-06 rifles.

Small sample at close range but they performed well in that caliber. The bc leave a lot to be desired IIRC compared to many other bullets. The wound channels were sufficient without excessive damage or lead bits floating around.

They seem to work quite well for driven hunting but I could think of a lot better projectiles to use (even lead free projectiles) if one planned on shooting past MPBR.

Semper Fi

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
When loading the 7mm Magnum cartridges, I noticed that the cases get only 80% or so full so I researched the reloading manuals to see if there is an issue. The Norma reloading manual has several loads with 150 grain bullets which have a few more grains of MRP. It also shows loads which are in the same range as my loads so I think I am good and probably on the mild side for 7mm Remington Magnum.

For the sake of exploration, I also loaded 12 rounds of 7mm Magnum with Norma 217 powder which is slower than MRP. This powder seems to be more suitable as it fills the case nicely till the neck. Do, I now have this additional load to test too:

7mm Remington Magnum: 69 - 72 grain Norma 217, Lapua Naturalis 155 grain bullet.

The 7mm Mag is actually an over-bore cartridge so Norma 217 may end up being the better powder for it. We'll see..

PS. Happy Thanksgiving! smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 11/24/16.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Range results:

Load Series I (7mm Magnum, Lapua Naturalis, Norma MRP): This series was perhaps too mild. Average velocity about 2720 f/s for 60 grain charge to 2750 f/s for 62 grain charge. The 62 grain charge produced an outstanding group (about 0.5 inches) at 100 yards.

Load Series II (7mm Magnum, Lapua Naturalis, Norma 217): This load was perhaps too hot. My starting load with 69 grain of powder resulted in average velocity about 2930 f/s. Since this is already close to top speed I was expecting, I did not fire the rest of the series. Accuracy was acceptable (group about 1 inch).

Load Series III (300 Win Mag, Lapua Naturalis, Norma MRP): This series seemed to be properly estimated as it gave velocities I was expecting for this caliber. The average velocity for the starting load (72 grain) was 2900 f/s and it increased to 3120 f/s for the max load (76 grain). The best accuracy was acchied with 75 grains of powder.

Load Series IV (300 Weath Mag, Lapua Naturalis, Norma MRP):
This series seemed to be near max as it gave top velocities even with the starting load. The average velocity for the starting load (82 grain) was 3100 f/s. The velocity increased to 3280 f/s for the load just below max (85 grain). The bolt started lifting with difficulty so I did not fire my max load (86 grain).

Any thoughts or comments?

Thank you,
-Omid

-----------------

Testing 7mm Rem Mag Loads:

[Linked Image]

Testing 300 WM Loads:

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Some additional observations and questions:

In my early tests (Aug. 27 and October 27th), I achieved average velocities of 2970 f/s and 2930 f/s for a certain 8.59 Titan load. Same load, loaded in new brass gave 2880 f/s on a colder day (November 26th) and did not produce the same sub-MOA group. I think this is related to temprature change more than change in brass. Am I Correct?

Also, same load as above fired 200 grain Nosler Accubond bullets at an average velocity of ~ 2780 f/s. How could the 200 gr bullet go slower than the 230 grain Naturalis bullet??

Last edited by Omid; 11/30/16.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
A question for the experienced members of the forum:

How sensitive are Norma MRP and 217 to temperature variations?

As mentioned above, it seems that my loads developed for summer are not optimal for winter. Is there a way to develop a load which is less sensitive to temperature? The Norma reloading manual says that it is possible to develop such a load and it will work only for the bullet/powder/rifle combination for which it was developed. The manual does not explain how to do this though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
You're going to need some non-temperature sensitive powders.

Never used MRP. But, have heard it is the same as RL 22. If true it will be highly affected by temp. swings. I stopped using RL 22 for that reason.

Robert E. Lee
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello again and Happy New Year to forum members,

I was out of shooting mindset for a few days (became a dad on December 28th!) but now I am gradually returning back to [the new] normal smile

To Reloader 28: I think you are right and NORMA MRP may be affected by temperature more than some other powders. This powder and Norma 217 are my main powders. I will continue experimenting with them and will post my findings here. The temperature in the Los Angeles area is cooler now (50s to 70s) but not nearly as cold as, say, Wisconsin wink

I am currently researching Vihtavuori N560 and I think if I decide to switch powders, N560 would be it. Any thoughts on this powder?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on the new addition, Omid. Hopefully, you banked enough sleep to last you the next 1-2 years. laugh

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations on the addition, Omid! Thanks for posting and keeping up on the thread, too. smile

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank Azar and MZ5! I will start reloading again soon, maybe in a couple of weeks. This week I have a patent application to finish and next week I am attending Shot Show.

OFF TOPIC: I have developed several new concepts related to rifles copes. One of them is very close to being made commercially and will debut at the Shot Show this year. It is a riflescope that automatically changes its point of aim with zoom: At low zoom, you are zeroed at 100 yards, as you increase magnification, the scope automatically adjusts point of aim for 200Y, 300Y etc. The concept is similar to the Leathewood ART SCOPE which was developed by the late Mr Jim Leatherwood during the Vietnam war. However, my solution is optical so the complicated mechanical cam used by Leatherwood is not needed. wink

Last edited by Omid; 01/11/17.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello all,

After a break, I have started back with my reloading experiments. I am now loading Naturalis bullets for a new caliber: 8X68S. I have a custom Mauser rifle in this caliber which I have not shot yet. wink I am mounting a scope on it and while waiting for New England Custom Gun to furnish the proper scope mounts for this rifle, I started developing a load for it:

70-75 grains of N560 powder (made by Vihta Vuori of Norway), New RWS brass, Lapua Naturalis bullets (180 grain).

In my previous loads, I used Norma MRP as my main powder but have now started experimenting with N560 as well. It is approximately the same burn rate as MRP but might lead to better results and/or less temperature sensitivity. I am going to test this powder in 300 Weatherby, 7mm Mag and 338 Mag as well.

Any suggestions or comments?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Based on the Vihtavouri 2017 reloading manual and a couple other sources, I have made the following estimates for next round of loading:

7mm Rem Mag: 55-56gr N560, 156 gr Naturalis bullet
300 Win Mag: 70-76gr N560, 170gr Naturalis bullet
300 Weatherby: 76-80gr N560, 170gr Naturalis Bullet
338 Win Mag: 69-74 gr N560, 230 gr Naturalis bullet

Has anyone used N560 powder before? I appreciate any feedback or comments before I make the above loads for testing this Saturday.

Thank you
-Omid

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
OK, I tested the above loads during the weekend and here are the results:

7MM Remington Magnum: Excellent group (sub-MOA) with both 61 grain and 62 grains of N560. It looks like there is still room for 1 to 2 grains more powder. It also appears that N560 has the same power and burning rate as Norma MRP.

I also tested some leftover loads from the previous experiment (loaded with Norma 217). I figured those are probably exceeding maxiumum safe loads so I stopped firing after I noticed velocities above 3050 f/s and exctraction become sticky. So, those loads (shown by green marks in the chart below) are not recommended. Next time I will reduce those loads.

[Linked Image]

Next, I tested loads in 300 Wby. The loads with 79 and 80 grains of N560 gave best groups (sub-MOA).

The loads shown using Norma MRP are from the previous experiment (in November) and are probably above safe limits. I intend to reduce them and try again. (Note: The velocity at 82 grain MRP is a measurement error. I think it was caused by direct sun light hitting the chronograph sensors.)

[Linked Image]

And finally, here are the results for 8X68S caliber. I did not get a good group with any of the loads but it was the first time ever that I was firing my 8X68S rifle. So, I don't consider this a problem. There could be issues with scope adjustment or something else..

[Linked Image]

So, what do you guys think of these results? Any comments? What should I check with the 8X68 loads or the rifle to get good accuracy?

Thank you,
-Omid

Last edited by Omid; 03/15/17.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There seems to be something wrong with the links to pictures. I don't see them. Could you try again? I'd like to see your results.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I used DropBox to share photos and it looks like they have disabled the public sharing feature on March 15th! frown I just made an account on PhotoBucket and copied the velocity graphs there. Regrettably, my previous pictures in this thread won't be visible since they are still in DropBox.

Here are the results for 300 Wby and 7MM Mag:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for re-posting the speed-vs-charge graphs. Too bad about DropBox. Perhaps, over time, you can move the other pics over? They were great, and are really central to the thread!

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thanks MZ5 but I am not sure if I can restore the photos in previous posts. I think what is possible is to move the pictures to a new host and use them again in new post as we continue the topic.

Now, I have a few questions that I'd appreciate if you -or other members- could answer:

a) In 7MM magnum, the case is still about 20% or so empty when using Norma MRP or Vihtavuori N560 charges. I checked with reloading books and they too show max loads which fill the case to 80 or 85%. The velocity is OK and the accuracy is superb. Should I still go another 1 or 2 grain higher or stop here?

b) Here are the results for 8X68S. The velocities are OK and increase naturally but I could not get a good (1 MOA or less) group with any of them. I think there is still room for may be 1 or 2 grain more powder. Should I go higher in this caliber too?

[Linked Image]

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't own or load for either the 7RM or the 8x68, so I can only comment very generally.

With the 7RM, my Norma manual lists charge ranges of 61 - 63 grains of MRP for their 156gr Oryx bullet, and charges of 69.7 - 73.4 for 217 under the same bullet. You're in that range, and your speeds are in the general range in my Norma manual, too. Since you're using a different bullet, one can't compare directly, but it seems like you're in the right range. Personally, I wouldn't discard excellent precision looking for another 50 - 80 ft/sec, but that's up to you.

I don't show data in my Norma manual for the 8x68S.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Sorry for the few weeks of delay.. I have now switched to my own domain server so I should be able to post pictures here without fear of losing them again.. Also, another good news: Lapua North America very kindly sent me samples Naturalis bullets to use in my load development experiments. laugh

I will start load development shortly and will post my results here soon.

-Omid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That's pretty sweet. Looking forward to the results. Now if you can score some ballistic gel. I'd like to see the recovered bullets.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It would be cool to see some more recovered bullets.

Semper Fi
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good deal! Looking forward to resumed testing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MZ5
Good deal! Looking forward to resumed testing!

Me too smile

Especially since we can actually get the full line of Lapua bullets here from several manufacturers.

Gerry.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I have started loading new cartridges and will share with you the results soon, hopefully by next week end.. Meanwhile, I dis another experiment that I think is interesting and would like to share the results here: I weighed all my rifles! I have had some of these rifles for many years but I didn't really now how much they weigh. So, a few days ago I ordered a digital scale from Amazon and weigh them:

Mauser (custom), 338 Win Mag ---- 8.7 lb
Heym SR 30, 7mm Rem Mag --------- 9.2 lb
Styer-Mannlicher, 270 Win ------- 9.3 lb
Sauer 80, 7X64 ------------------ 10.0 lb
Sauer 202, 300 Win Mag ---------- 10.3 lb
Mauser (custom), 8X68S ---------- 10.6 lb
Lazzeroni, 8.59 Titan ----------- 10.9 lb
Mauser (Voere), 300 Wby --------- 11.9 lb

I then calculated the recoil energy for the loads that I have been developing using Lapua Naturalis. Here are the results:

Mauser (custom), 338 Win Mag --- 36.6 ft/lb
Heym SR 30, 7mm Rem Mag -------- 19.5 ft/lb
Styer-Mannlicher, 270 Win: ---
Sauer 80, 7X64: ---
Sauer 202, 300 Win Mag --------- 23.5 ft/lb
Mauser (custom), 8X68S --------- 25 ft/lb
Lazzeroni L2000, 8.59 Titan ---- 37.8 ft/lb
Mauser (Voere), 300 Wby -------- 24 ft/lb

These results are consistent with what I have observed at the range. The Mauser in 338 is too light for the 231 grain Natralis bullet and generates fierce recoil. shocked On the other hand the big Voere rifle in 300 Wby is very heavy and shooting 170 grain Naturalis bullets is no problem.. laugh

My 338 Magnum rifle:
[Linked Image]

Left to right: Styer (270 Win), Lazzeroni (8.59 Titan), Custom Mauser in 8X68S and Voere in 300 Wby:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 04/22/17.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello there,

I am "almost ready" for testing a new series of loads in 4 different calibers: 8X68S, 300 Wby, 7X64 and 7mm Rem Mag. I have loaded 12 test cartridges in each of the first three calibers and I will load 12 rounds of 7mm Magnum soon. Below you can see a picture of the long and beautiful 7X64 cartridges. All rounds are loaded using Lapua Naturalis bullets and N560 powder. All rounds use new brass and are intended for hunting so I have made sure that they feed properly.

I have not loaded 300 Win Mag cartridges since I have not quite figured out what I should change to improve accuracy? In my previous tests, velocity was good but I could not get a tight group. Is bullet seating depth a major factor in accuracy? How about using a powder with different burn rate?

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 05/03/17.
E
E
Presuming a 24 inch barrel and 3.29 COAL on the 7mag, you're tracking what Quickload predicts for a velocity pretty nicely with the N560 load curve, and perhaps more importantly, maxing out at 47k psi.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hi Erik,

Thank you very much for testing my 7mm Mag loads in QuickLoad! laugh Would you be kind enough to check the loads I have written below in QuickLoad as well?

7X64: 54-57 grains N560, COL = 3.32"
8X68s: 74-77 grains N560, COL = 3.36"
300 Wby: 79-82 grain N560, COL = 3.56"

For 7mm Mag, I have tested up to 62 grains of N560 (COL= 3.24", 25" barrel). The VihtaVuori manual (2017) shows 60.2 grain of N560 as max for this bullet. I didn't notice any pressure signs and the accuracy was excellent. The same manual also shows larges charges (e.g. 68 grain N560 for a 160 grain Speer bullet). What's your suggestion based on your quick-load analysis? Should I go one or two grain higher (upto 64 grain) or stop? wink

Thank you,
-Omid

PS. I have a feeling that some loads I'd tested previously were near or exceeding maximum pressure. For example, I think the 300 Wby loads with Norma MRP were too hot. Similarly, some 7mm Mags loaded with Norma 217 were probably at or over max too. shocked

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 05/04/17.
E
E
Originally Posted by Omid
Hi Erik,

Thank you very much for testing my 7mm Mag loads in QuickLoad! laugh Would you be kind enough to check the loads I have written below in QuickLoad as well?

7X64: 54-57 grains N560, COL = 3.32"
8X68s: 74-77 grains N560, COL = 3.36"
300 Wby: 79-82 grain N560, COL = 3.56"

For 7mm Mag, I have tested up to 62 grains of N560 (COL= 3.24", 25" barrel). The VihtaVuori manual (2017) shows 60.2 grain of N560 as max for this bullet. I didn't notice any pressure signs and the accuracy was excellent. The same manual also shows larges charges (e.g. 68 grain N560 for a 160 grain Speer bullet). What's your suggestion based on your quick-load analysis? Should I go one or two grain higher (upto 64 grain) or stop? wink

Thank you,
-Omid

PS. I have a feeling that some loads I'd tested previously were near or exceeding maximum pressure. For example, I think the 300 Wby loads with Norma MRP were too hot. Similarly, some 7mm Mags loaded with Norma 217 were probably at or over max too. shocked

[Linked Image]

Regarding the 7 Rem mag....with the COAL and barrel length adjusted the Quickload predicted pressure and velocity for 62 grains of 560 are 47974 psi and 2884 FPS, 64 is 52817 PSI and 2977 FPS and 66 grains is 58113 PSI and 3071 FPS. 66.5 Grains 59516 PSI and 3094 FPS.. I'll let you decide what you are comfortable with given what the book max is.

Cartridge : 7 x 64 Brenneke
Bullet : .284, 155, Lapua Naturalis N564 7027
Useable Case Capaci: 60.162 grain H2O = 3.906 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.320 inch = 84.33 mm
Barrel Length : 25.0 inch = 635.0 mm
Powder : Vihtavuori N560

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 2.0% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time
% % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % ms

-20.0 76 43.20 2171 1622 24813 7841 80.7 1.727
-18.0 78 44.28 2224 1703 26279 8142 82.2 1.687
-16.0 80 45.36 2279 1787 27835 8441 83.6 1.647
-14.0 82 46.44 2334 1875 29491 8738 85.0 1.608
-12.0 84 47.52 2389 1965 31251 9030 86.4 1.570
-10.0 86 48.60 2445 2058 33126 9318 87.7 1.533
-08.0 88 49.68 2502 2154 35123 9601 88.9 1.497
-06.0 90 50.76 2558 2252 37251 9876 90.1 1.461
-04.0 91 51.84 2615 2354 39517 10144 91.3 1.426
-02.0 93 52.92 2672 2458 41939 10403 92.4 1.392
+00.0 95 54.00 2730 2565 44524 10652 93.4 1.359
+02.0 97 55.08 2787 2674 47270 10890 94.4 1.326
+04.0 99 56.16 2845 2786 50237 11117 95.3 1.291
+06.0 101 57.24 2903 2901 53395 11330 96.1 1.255 ! Near Maximum !
+08.0 103 58.32 2961 3018 56787 11529 96.8 1.220 ! Near Maximum !
+10.0 105 59.40 3019 3138 60420 11713 97.5 1.186 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba 95 54.00 2898 2890 54066 10908 98.6 1.256 ! Near Maximum !
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba 95 54.00 2522 2189 36358 9832 84.2 1.471

Cartridge : 8 x 68 S
Bullet : .323, 180, Lapua Naturalis N559 8009
Useable Case Capaci: 74.387 grain H2O = 4.830 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.336 inch = 84.73 mm

-20.0 84 59.20 2371 2247 28297 8220 80.9 1.555
-18.0 87 60.68 2433 2367 30137 8537 82.4 1.516
-16.0 89 62.16 2496 2490 32108 8851 84.0 1.477
-14.0 91 63.64 2560 2618 34222 9160 85.5 1.439
-12.0 93 65.12 2624 2751 36491 9463 86.9 1.402
-10.0 95 66.60 2688 2889 38930 9759 88.3 1.365
-08.0 97 68.08 2754 3031 41553 10046 89.7 1.329
-06.0 99 69.56 2819 3177 44375 10324 90.9 1.294
-04.0 101 71.04 2886 3328 47419 10590 92.1 1.259
-02.0 104 72.52 2952 3484 50701 10843 93.3 1.223
+00.0 106 74.00 3019 3644 54250 11082 94.3 1.185 ! Near Maximum !
+02.0 108 75.48 3087 3808 58091 11306 95.3 1.149 ! Near Maximum !
+04.0 110 76.96 3154 3977 62252 11513 96.2 1.113 ! Near Maximum !
+06.0 112 78.44 3222 4150 66772 11701 97.0 1.079 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+08.0 114 79.92 3290 4327 71692 11870 97.7 1.045 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+10.0 116 81.40 3359 4508 77052 12017 98.4 1.013 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
+Ba 106 74.00 3202 4097 66142 11242 99.1 1.089 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
-Ba 106 74.00 2789 3110 44076 10306 85.4 1.297

Cartridge : .300 Weath. Mag.
Bullet : .308, 170, Lapua Naturalis LR N558 7105
Useable Case Capaci: 88.121 grain H2O = 5.722 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.560 inch = 90.42 mm

-20.0 76 63.20 2467 2298 29177 10075 86.0 1.584
-18.0 78 64.78 2529 2414 31005 10433 87.5 1.547
-16.0 80 66.36 2591 2533 32953 10785 88.8 1.510
-14.0 82 67.94 2653 2657 35030 11129 90.1 1.474
-12.0 84 69.52 2715 2783 37245 11464 91.4 1.438
-10.0 86 71.10 2778 2913 39607 11789 92.5 1.404
-08.0 88 72.68 2841 3047 42117 12102 93.6 1.370
-06.0 89 74.26 2904 3184 44822 12402 94.6 1.336
-04.0 91 75.84 2967 3324 47700 12687 95.6 1.304
-02.0 93 77.42 3031 3467 50775 12956 96.4 1.267
+00.0 95 79.00 3094 3613 54061 13208 97.2 1.231
+02.0 97 80.58 3157 3762 57538 13441 97.9 1.196 ! Near Maximum !
+04.0 99 82.16 3220 3914 61231 13655 98.5 1.162 ! Near Maximum !
+06.0 101 83.74 3283 4068 65174 13847 99.0 1.129 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+08.0 103 85.32 3346 4225 69386 14017 99.4 1.097 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+10.0 105 86.90 3408 4384 73890 14164 99.7 1.066 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

+Ba 95 79.00 3258 4007 65115 13121 100.0 1.135 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
-Ba 95 79.00 2879 3129 43643 12556 89.9 1.343

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you very much for your analysis Erik! Based on your data, the loads I have prepared are in the safe zone with max charges being "near maximum". I am planning to test these at the range this weekend. I will share my findings here.

Happy Friday smile

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
It was a rainy day in Los Angeles today and it made it difficult to measure velocity. Rain caused my Chrony device to malfunction but I manages to measure a few velocities before this happened. I will update this post and share the results soon.. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Here are my updated velocity results and additional observations:

Caliber 8X68S: I had loaded 12 cartridges (4 sets of three) with 74 grain to 77 grain of N560. In terms of accuracy all four loads were good (less than 1.5 inches) with 75 grain producing best accuracy. These loads produced velocity consistent with my previous test in March. Unfortunately, rain made my chronograph malfunction so I could not record velocities for the 77 grain load. The chart below shows the velocity results.

Caliber 7X64: I could not measure velocity but loads with 55 grain and 56 grain powder (N560) produced touching groups! Fantastic!

Caliber 300 Win Mag: I could only measure velocity for the first two sets of loads (see plot below). The loads very the same charge as my previous test but COAL was increased to near max. The load with 76 grain of N560 produced best accuracy (touching holes) at 100 yards smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 05/08/17.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Here is one of two excellent groups produced by the 7X64 loads in my Sauer 80 rifle. Test loads with 55 grain and 56 grain of N560 powder produced touching groups. This is a good sign of a nice an stable optimal charge. Unfortunately, I could not record velocity.

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
This is the best group I got in 300 Win Mag caliber. The rifle is a Sauer 202 Take Down model with 25 inch barrel. I had increased my COAL to 3.44" which is nearly touching the lands for this series of loads. When I tried the loads with 73 grain to 75 grain powder, I got two very close shots (nearly touching) and one a bit away. Then at the max load of 76 grain N560 I got this beautiful touching group. I am not sure if the flyer shots are due to flinching or is related to the fact that the bullet is seated with a high (more than standard) COAL. I don't think it would be safe to increase the charge above 76 grain but I would like to try other COAL to see if it has a significant effect. The Vihtavuori reloading manual suggests a COAL of 3.30" with 30 caliber Naturalis bullets which is nearly 0.15" shorter than how I loaded them.

@ Erik: Could you please very my 300 Wing Mag loads with 74 to 76 grain of N560 too? I used COAL of 3.44". Also, I am curious to know how pressure and velocity will change if we seat the bullets deeper at COAL = 3.30? Thank you very much.

-Omid

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 05/13/17.
E
E
Cartridge : .300 Win. Mag.(SAAMI)
Useable Case Capaci: 82.794 grain H2O = 5.376 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.440 inch = 87.38 mm

-20.0 74 57.60 2319 2030 25618 8913 82.2 1.665
-18.0 76 59.04 2376 2131 27135 9249 83.6 1.627
-16.0 78 60.48 2434 2236 28751 9583 85.1 1.590
-14.0 79 61.92 2492 2344 30467 9912 86.4 1.554
-12.0 81 63.36 2550 2455 32290 10237 87.8 1.518
-10.0 83 64.80 2609 2570 34229 10556 89.1 1.483
-08.0 85 66.24 2669 2688 36292 10867 90.3 1.449
-06.0 87 67.68 2728 2810 38488 11170 91.4 1.415
-04.0 89 69.12 2788 2934 40828 11464 92.6 1.382
-02.0 90 70.56 2848 3062 43319 11747 93.6 1.350
+00.0 92 72.00 2908 3193 45975 12018 94.6 1.318
+02.0 94 73.44 2969 3327 48809 12275 95.5 1.287
+04.0 96 74.88 3029 3463 51834 12519 96.3 1.251
+06.0 98 76.32 3089 3603 55065 12747 97.0 1.216 ! Near Maximum !
+08.0 100 77.76 3150 3745 58518 12959 97.7 1.183 ! Near Maximum !
+10.0 102 79.20 3210 3890 62199 13153 98.3 1.150 ! Near Maximum !

+Ba 92 72.00 3081 3583 55687 12231 99.2 1.217 ! Near Maximum !
-Ba 92 72.00 2693 2737 37406 11165 85.9 1.425

E
E
Cartridge : .300 Win. Mag.(SAAMI)
Useable Case Capaci: 80.161 grain H2O = 5.205 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.300 inch = 83.82 mm

-20.0 76 57.60 2354 2092 26737 8924 82.9 1.637
-18.0 78 59.04 2413 2198 28362 9257 84.4 1.599
-16.0 80 60.48 2472 2307 30096 9586 85.8 1.561
-14.0 82 61.92 2532 2420 31941 9911 87.2 1.524
-12.0 84 63.36 2592 2536 33907 10231 88.5 1.488
-10.0 86 64.80 2653 2656 36003 10543 89.8 1.453
-08.0 88 66.24 2714 2780 38237 10846 91.0 1.418
-06.0 90 67.68 2775 2906 40622 11140 92.2 1.384
-04.0 92 69.12 2836 3037 43166 11424 93.2 1.351
-02.0 93 70.56 2898 3170 45886 11695 94.3 1.318
+00.0 95 72.00 2960 3306 48792 11954 95.2 1.286
+02.0 97 73.44 3021 3446 51901 12197 96.1 1.250
+04.0 99 74.88 3083 3589 55231 12426 96.8 1.213 ! Near Maximum !
+06.0 101 76.32 3145 3734 58800 12637 97.5 1.179 ! Near Maximum !
+08.0 103 77.76 3207 3883 62630 12830 98.2 1.146 ! Near Maximum !
+10.0 105 79.20 3269 4034 66730 13005 98.7 1.114 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

+Ba 95 72.00 3132 3702 59206 12091 99.4 1.183 ! Near Maximum !
-Ba 95 72.00 2742 2839 39632 11166 86.7 1.392

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Hi Erik,

Thank you very much for doing the analysis. I included the velocity estimates from your analysis in my experimental velocity plot for 300 Win Mag and the result is the graph below.

Both the analytical results and the measured values show that velocity is reduced when the bullet is seated farther. But it seems that the analytical data overestimate the actual velocities I measured. This could be natural due to natural variations in case capacity, powder and also natural errors in speed measurement wink

As I mentioned before, I had loaded cartridges upto 76 grain but I couldn't get the velocity of the last rounds due to rain. I am thinking of buying a LabRadar for velocity measurement. I am reading good reviews about it but still a bit skeptical if it can actualy be used in a crowded range shuch as the one we have in Los Angeles. Anybody here in the forum uses LabRadar?

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
The Labradar has arrived and I am studying its settings and functions. Next time I'll go to the range to test loads, I will take it with me and test it wink

Before I develop and test a next set of loads, I would like to discuss a few questions with the forum members and hear your thoughts:

a) What is the general rule for using a faster or slowing powder in the same cartridge as the bullet weight changes? My understanding is that a lighter bullet generally needs a faster burning powder whereas a heavier bullet requires a slower burning rate.

b) In reloading manuals the recommended powder charge generally decreases as bullet weight is increased (if same powder used) . Why exactly is that? I presume it is mostly related to the fact that heavy bullets are longer and take more of the case capacity so there is less room for powder. Or is it because a heavy bullet is slower and allows less room for gas expansion after ignition (=higher pressure)?

c) What is the point with the 7MM Rem Mag case capacity while most loads listed for this cartridge fill the case at only 85% to 90% of its case capacity?

d) In the same cartridge (say 30-06), what bullet weight would be most suited for a shorter barrel (say 20")? My "instinct" says a heavy 220 grain bullet would work better in a short barreled rifle but I don't have a rational justification.

e) What is an acceptable powder burn percentage for a rifle cartridge? Should a reloader make sure that say 95% of the powder burns before the bullet leaves the muzzle? Absence of a computer program such as Quickload, how can we know if the powder is fully burned before the bullet exits?

Happy Friday and looking forward to your comments laugh
-Omid

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

It is interesting to see how case capacity affects pressure and in turn bullet velocity. The plot below shows the velocity measurements for N560 Powder and 170 grain Lapua Naturalis bullets in two different calibers: 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby. It is interesting how 300 Weatherby cartridge needs about 6 grains more powder to produce same velocity as 300 Win Mag. cool laugh

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello again everyone,

I got the chance to do some range tests on Saturday. I also tested the LabRadar for the first time. It works pretty well but took some time to learn how to work the menu options.

300 WBY Update: You can see my friend shooting my 300 Wby rifle in the picture below. I had loaded four sets of cartridges from with 79 grain N560 to 82 grain. The velocities very nicely increased from what I had measured before and reached a maximum of about 3100 f/s. I did not get the highly-accurate touching groups that I obtained before with 78 and 79 grain charge though. The groups were like this: two shots nearly touching then one about 1.5 inches away!? What is the most likely cause of this phenomenon? Is it just flinching or I should seat the bullets a bit deeper or what? confused

300 Win Mag Update: I had loaded 10 cartridges with 76 grain of N560 and a long COAL of 3.44". I had obtained excellent accuracy with this load last time so I just wanted to test. I also wanted to measure the velocity of this load since last time it rained and my chronometer failed. Well, it turns out that this load produces very high velocity in excess of 3100 f/s. The accuracy is OK but not outstanding as the previous test. I think this load perhaps exceeds the maximum safe pressure for 300 Win Mag so I intend to reduce it and test a shorter COAL. I think a max speed of about 2950 to 3000 f/s is more natural for 300 Win Mag and the 170 grain Lapua Naturalis bullet. The average velocity along with Min and Max velocity I obtained for this load are shown in the graph below (pale blue color).

Any thoughts or comments? Thank you and happy 4th of July! cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 07/03/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
......two shots nearly touching then one about 1.5 inches away!? What is the most likely cause of this phenomenon?

Irregular neck tension is the typical culprit.

Robert E. Lee
E
E
I would first like to thank the originator of this thread and all who have contributed so much useful information here.

My practical (non-range) experience with the Naturalis bullet is limited to one shot with the former 180 grain bullet, in a .30-06 cartridge from Remington called Premier Green that is no longer available. The target was a whitetail deer, 125 pounds dressed, which I shot in the neck at thirty-five yards. The deer dropped dead to the ground without moving six inches from where it stood. The bullet took out the spinal column in the neck and I recovered it inside the animal. This is what it looked like:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This week I acquired a reloading kit, which prompted my hunt for information on loads. I look forward to benefitting from the knowledge others have acquired and are willing to share here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the 'fire, eidsvolling.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Welcome to the topic "eidsvolling" and thank you "Reloader28" for sharing your thoughts.

Regarding my latest 300 WM load: This load is producing very high velocities ~ 3150 f/s which is 100 f/s more than what I was expecting. (If you extrapolate the previous data points on the plot, velocity at long COAL with 76grain of powder should be around 3050 f/s) I am seating the bullets way out (COAL = 3.44) which is 0.1 inch longer than standard maximum length for 300 Win Mag so probably the charge of 76 grain of N560 and the velocity of 3150 f/s are OK but I still prefer going back on the charge may be maxing at 74 grain to produce velocity of around 3000 f/s. Another thing to consider is that new velocities were measure on a hot day (80 degrees F) while the previous ones were measured on a cool/rainy day (55 to 60 degrees F). This may have increased the chamber pressure (?)

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I had the opportunity to go hunting in the weekend and shot my first California pig with Lapua Naturalis bullets! The pig was about 100 to 150 yards away on a hill and was walking down mostly facing us. I shot her with my 7mm Magnum rifle and the bullet hit her near the front shoulder with a very clear impact sound. The bullet had penetrated nearly the entire length of the pigs body and we found it under the skin near the hind leg. This is excellent bullet performance. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 07/10/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks great, nice to hear of some actual on game performance of these bullets. I like your buddy in the picture too, he seems very interested in that hog smile

Gerry.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey! Good for you!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
....Regarding my latest 300 WM load: This load is producing very high velocities ~ 3150 f/s which is 100 f/s more than what I was expecting. (If you extrapolate the previous data points on the plot, velocity at long COAL with 76grain of powder should be around 3050 f/s) I am seating the bullets way out (COAL = 3.44) which is 0.1 inch longer than standard maximum length for 300 Win Mag so probably the charge of 76 grain of N560 and the velocity of 3150 f/s are OK but I still prefer going back on the charge may be maxing at 74 grain to produce velocity of around 3000 f/s. Another thing to consider is that new velocities were measure on a hot day (80 degrees F) while the previous ones were measured on a cool/rainy day (55 to 60 degrees F). This may have increased the chamber pressure (?)

I have found that this bullet engages the rifling at much shorter COAL than a more conventional designed bullet. I had to drop back to 2.85" OAL in my 308 vs my normal 2.9 in my SAKO that I normally load to. This could explain your higher than expected velocities. (Higher starting pressures)

I got best accuracy at 2.85" OAL anyways which is about .050 off the lands in my rifle. While LAPUA doesn't say as far as I know, Barnes does recommend .050" minimum for best performance.

I don't have a 300 Win Mag, but I do have a 300 WSM. I have worked up loads in that around 3100 fps FWIW. I'm getting about 2800 fps in my 308 with good accuracy.

Keep it coming guys, I like these bullets. It's nice to see people having good experiences with them.

How about a close up of that pig bullet?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice and I second wanting to see a few close ups of the bullet.

Semper Fi
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Here is a close up of the recovered bullet. This bullet stayed on its course and penetrated nearly the entire length of the animal. cool

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They seem to mushroom out similar to a lead cored bullet unlike the Barnes in particular that has distinct petals.

Gerry.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks pretty darned good to me as well.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Wow, that looks great.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Load development for the 7mm Rem Mag caliber is completed:

62 grain of N560, Lapua Naturalis 155 grain bullets (NPL 7027) seated at 3.24" C.O.A.L.; Nosler Custom Brass (new) and Federal 215 Match Primer. This load produces average velocity of 2820 ft/s from the Heym SR 30 rifle.

My 7mm Magnum rifle is very accurate. It is a straight-pull Heym SR30 which I have owned for 18 years. Very well-made and relatively light (9.5 lb with scope). Now I have a very accurate and effective hunting load for it too

laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Accuracy looks nice, but for a 155 grain bullet in the 7mm RM aren't you leaving 200+ fps on the table? Obviously, if you are happy with it it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the update.

E
E
Great to see the performance on live game. Thanks for sharing.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Azar
Accuracy looks nice, but for a 155 grain bullet in the 7mm RM aren't you leaving 200+ fps on the table? Obviously, if you are happy with it it doesn't really matter.

Hi Azar,

You have a valid point. I could try and go higher (actually I did at some point using Norma 217, reached velocities in excess of 3000 f/s) but at the end of the day the current load is perfectly adequate for hunting and I am very happy with it. This load is probably in the same power level as the load I have developed for my Sauer 80 7X64 rifle (pictured below). In this rifle, 55 or 56 grains of N560 behind same Lapua Naturalis bullets produce touching groups at 100 yards. I have not choreographed the velocity but it is probably about 2800 f/s.

Load development for both my 7mm Rem Mag and 7X64 rifles are complete. I am not fully satisfied with my loads in 300 Win Mag and 8X68S calibers yet so I'll continue my experiments in those calibers..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 07/15/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have not choreographed the velocity but it is probably about 2800 f/s.

Would you use a chronograph to do that? laugh

Robert E. Lee
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have not choreographed the velocity but it is probably about 2800 f/s.

Would you use a chronograph to do that? laugh

I didn't chronograph those loads because rain got into my instrument's sensor and it didn't work correctly after that.. This incident inspired me to buy a Labradar. I will use it to test the velocity of my optimal 7X64 load next time wink

Last edited by Omid; 07/17/17.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Update: After some research, I have concluded that the most probable reason for my last 300 Win Mag loads with 76 grain N560 and COAL = 3.44" showing too much velocity (~3150 f/s) is that the bullets have been touching the lands. So, in my next loads that I am currently developing, I am planning to reduce COAL to 3.40" and further to 3.30".

By the way, now I also have a Blaser R8 rifle in 300 Win Mag. So, I can test these loads in this rifle too. Are there any members here who have developed loads for two rifles in the same caliber? What are things to note or expect? confused smile

Thanks,
-Omid

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 08/01/17.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I have got a new toy (picture below) and used that to check how much my cases stretch after firing. laugh It turns out that my new brass stretch about 0.017" inch to fit the chamber of my Sauer 202 rifle. (Blaser R8 rifle seem to have a similar chamber too, just may be 0.002" inch different from the Sauer).

As a next step I am thinking using fired brass to make loads for the Sauer 202 rifle. Is there a significant advantage (in terms of accuracy) to use brass fired in the same rifle for making loads? I did not get very tight groups (less than 1 inch) in my 300 WM rifle and I am trying to find out why. It could be that I am flinching (as usually two rounds hit nearly same spot, one goes off) but I want to make sure I have used all the options available to a hand loader to achieve maximum accuracy. Any thoughts? cool

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello all,

Here are some pictures from my prairie dog hunt in Wyoming last week. These are not directly related to the topic of the tread but I thought it would be fun to share. We were testing several new optics including a rifle scope of my own design laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
As a next step I am thinking using fired brass to make loads for the Sauer 202 rifle. Is there a significant advantage (in terms of accuracy) to use brass fired in the same rifle for making loads? I did not get very tight groups (less than 1 inch) in my 300 WM rifle and I am trying to find out why. It could be that I am flinching (as usually two rounds hit nearly same spot, one goes off) but I want to make sure I have used all the options available to a hand loader to achieve maximum accuracy. Any thoughts?

Well, I think I found the cause of this problem last night! I was playing with this rifle looking through the scope. I had a bore-sighter attached to the muzzle and I wanted to make sure that the barrel is maintaining its orientation when I take-down/re-assemble the gun. I then noticed that the scope's rear mount had some side play. I could push the scope a bit to left and right by my hand. Looking through the boresighter I noticed that the scope's point of aim (with respect the barrel) would shift about 4 inches /100 yards anytime I push the scope's ocular sideways. We'll this loose base rear mount can explain why I didn't get tight groups during my range tests.

I re-adjusted the rear mount according to EAW instructions and bore sighted the scope again. Then, properly tightened the mount's torque screws and the play went away. laugh

Last edited by Omid; 09/05/17.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good for you!
Sometimes those little things can be slightly embarrassing, but at the same time it's nice to find a simple thing that fixes the issue. :-)

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I have started making loads for the 300 Win Mag rifles again. I have also swapped the riflescopes on a couple of my rifles. I will update this topic soon. Meanwhile, here are some pictures of the Sauer 202 for you to enjoy cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
thanks for sharing so much good information in these posts! I have purchased some Lapua Naturalis bullets for my Verney Carron Impact Plus 9.3x62 and will study this information closely while doing my own load development. I have another question, slightly off topic - what make & model case is that for the Sauer 202 takedown rifle? I need something similar for my Verney Carron take down rifle and i think the case for that Sauer would do nicely.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hi CastnBlast,

Than you for your kind words. I look forward to hearing from you about loading Lapua naturalis bullets in 9.3X62 caliber. What do you plan to hunt with it? I guess it is great for moose. I used to live in Toronto and went moose hunting a couple of times (north or Thunder Bay). Verney Carron take down rifle? Must be very interesting! Please post pictures of your rifle if possible. I know Monsieur Verney Carron in person and say hi to each other when we see each other at SHOT Show. I am not familiar with their bolt-action rifles though. My case is made by Negrini: https://negrinicases.com/

I'll post more data on loading Lapua Naturalis bullets very soon..

-Omid

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Yesterday, I made a fresh set of 300 Win Mag rounds for testing in Blaser R8. These rounds go from 68 grain to 74 grain of N560. The bullets are Lapua Naturalis 170 grain and they seated to COAL of 3.40". Previously, when testing in Sauer 202, I used COAL of 3.45" so these are a bit shorter.

I plan to make similar loads for Sauer 202 but using 1-time-fired brass instead of new brass. Now here is a question: I used Redding's Instant Indicator to check uniformity of my seating depths. The tool shows about +- 0.003" in variation among my loads (I loaded 21 rounds). Is this normal or shows there is some play in my press?

[Linked Image]

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's not exactly abnormal variation in seating depth. Those bullets' profiles may not match very well with the seating stem in the dies you're using. Even if it does, ogive lengths vary. For that matter, there may be some of that sort of mismatch or variation in your measuring tool (not that there is, but most people don't check that sort of thing or don't have tools or methods to do so). Runout is one thing, a couple thousandths of seating depth variation is another. I'd investigate, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
to report back: I loaded some Naturalis 220 grain 9.3 bullets for my 9.3x62. Used the recipe published by Lapua, in new Lapua cases, Remington 9-1/2M primers, VV N-140 powder, 60 grains. Without using proper bench rest technique, ( holding rifle in my hands with wrists on the bags) , 5 shots went into 1.5" and 2.5" higher than my 286 grain loads. Perfect. Recoil was noticeably lower than the 286's, but not quite as accurate, the 286's will shoot under an inch in my rifle - not that such tiny differences matter when hunting big game.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
@ Castnblast: Excellent! I am glad to hear that you got a good hunting load in your first try. Looking forward to hearing your experience on the terminal ballistics of the bullets.

Today I had a strange experience: I have some once-fired 300 Win Mag brass from my tests with the Sauer 202 rifle. I am trying to resize them (full-length) but got confused after some tests:

• Using Redding's Instant Indicator, I measured the base-to-shoulder length of fired cases. They averaged 0.002 inch longer than the reference "standard 300 Win Mag gauge" supplied with the Indicator. This is OK according to Redding documents as the supplied gauge represents SAMI minimum chamber dimentions.
  • Using same method, I measured base-to-shoulder length of some new (unfired brass). They measure 0.012 to 0.017 inch shorter than the reference gauge. This is OK too.
  • Then when I full-length resized some of the fired cases, their shoulder-to-base now measures 0.004" longer than the reference!! This means not only the shoulders have not been pushed back, they have actually moved forward by about 0.002 inch! Has anybody observed such a phenomenon? I tried to look for information online but did not find much. There was one comment on a British hunting forum saying that this is normal as the brass springs back when the neck-sizer bushing inside the die pulls the case neck up on the return movement of the press.

Hmm.. I am confused. I was expecting the FL-sized cases have shoulder say 0.005 inch shorter than the standard chamber gauge (?) confused

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you need to turn your die in a 1/4 turn at a time. You’ll get to the spot where you bump the shoulder slightly.

Semper Fi
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you! This solved the problem! I had set the die to touch the shareholder. When I lowered the die further (slightly less than 1/4 turn) and FL-sized a case, the shoulder is bumped back to Reference - 0.004 ". I then FL-sized more cases and they are all consistent showing same base-to-shoulder length of Refrence - 0.004".

Thanks again,
-Omid

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Use this tool to measure how much the shoulder is being set back on the brass fired in your rifle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...pace-gauge-5-bushing-set-with-comparator

When resizing, move the shoulder back on your fired brass 0.0015" to 0.002".

That is plenty to allow for reliable chambering and to maintain good accuracy. More than is needed is working against yourself on accuracy, potentially reducing the reliability of the firing pin making adequate contact to ignite the primer - not saying it is going to be a problem, but certainly not helping improve reliability either.

The only thing that matters is moving the shoulder back compared to your fired brass. The "standard chamber" is close to meaningless.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was excited when they announced the gen 3 version a while back and I wanted to try them but I find it laughable that Lapua, who are certainly capable at making excellent brass, scenars, 338 lm cartridge and my personal favorite, 6.5x47 which I have a custom rifle built around, can NOT do better than 0.201 BC for a 140gr 6.5 bullet. There is just no reason to use them with ttsx, lrx, gmx, etip and even custom monometal bullets all offer vastly superior BC, cheaper cost and the same performance.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hi kman,

I understand your point. I have not used the 6.5 milliliter version of Naturalis bullets myself since I don't have a rifle in 6.5mm caliber. These bullets are intended for hunting and Lapua seems to have focused on reliability on game more than anything else. The 6.5mm bullets looks almost like a pure cylinder so they should penetrate deep and straight. BC is not everything. Speed is not everything either. If you read my notes in the previous posts in this topic, you see that I have loaded these in my 7mm Rem Mag to about 2800 f/s. This is not the maximum that this caliber can do but it produces superb accuracy in my rifle and I saw it kill very reliably too (see pictures of the boar I shot this summer). Another thing I really like about these bullets is that the plastic tip on the nose is very hard. The bullet tip does not get damaged in the "traditional" magazines such as Mauser rifle magazines.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I tested my new loads at the range and got some very interesting results: With the Blaser R8 rifle, I got two nearly touching 3-shot groups at 71 grain and 72 grain powder charge (N560 powder). Sauer 202 also shot outstanding groups with same two charges!! I wonder if this has to do with the chambers and barrels of these two rifles being nearly identical (?) I also tested similar similar loads in my Sauer 90 rifle featuring a new Schmidt and Bender Stratos 1.5-8X42 scope. This rifle too produced a good group at 71 grain of charge! I will check to see how the fired brass sizes compare for these three rifles but so far I am very happy with the results. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Measured velocity vs powder charge for each rifle:

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Two excellent 3-shot groups obtained with the Blaser R8 Rifle and loads described above:

laugh

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
New shooting test with Sauer 90 rifle: laugh

Caliber 300 Win Mag, Loads S1 (70.5 grain N560) to S5 (72.4 grain N560), Laupa Naturalis Bullet (170 grain), FL-sized brass, Target at 100 Yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
The chart below shows updated results for Blaser R8. Last week, I had tested loads with 68 grain to 73 grain of powder. Two loads at 71 and 72 grain gave great accuracy so this week I tested a load with 71.4 grain of powder. You can see the velocity for this load potted as '+' marks on the graph below. The average velocity is about 50 f/s below what I'd expected. For the new load, I had FL-sized the brass from previous test. Otherwise the components were identical.

My question: If we make round using new brass, fire it and then FL-size its brass, load again and fire in same rifle, should there be a noticeable change in velocity? My expection was that velocity should remain the same since the "internal chamber" of the case upon firing and once it is expanded to fit the rifle chamber is the same. So why did I notice a small 30 - 50 f/s change in velocity in both Sauer 90 and Blaser R8 rifles? And why in one case velocity increased (Sauer 90) and the other case (R8) decreased? cool

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 11/11/17.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
As the year comes to its end, I restocked inventory of Lapua Naturalis bullets.. I also got new cans of N560 powder. I have not used slower (N570) and faster (N550, N540) powders yet but I plan to experiment with those powders too. I think N570 might be best for over-bore cartridges such 7mm Rem Mag and N540 might work well in larger caliber cases such as 8X68S. cool

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I am going to start a new set of loads in 300 Win Mag using new brass shortly. Previously, when I had obtained a good group with two close charges of powder (say 71 grain and 72 grain), I thought choosing the middle value (71.5 grain) will give optimum results. But my experiences (some of them reported above) show that this is not the case. Why is that? confused

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
So far this year, I have developed highly accurate loads for multiple calibers including 7X64, 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag (in 3 rifles) and 8.59 Titan using Lapua Naturalis bullets. Now I am trying to "validate" my loads by loading the optimal charge in each caliber and testing again. Here are the 300 WM validation loads. The charge is 72 grain of N560 for all rounds. I have loaded 15 rounds using a new N560 powder can and 15 rounds from a previous powder can with a different manufacture date to see if change in lot number makes any difference. I hope not.. wink

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
How is your load development coming on the 8x68s? I recently bought one and load data is kinda difficult to find. I have Hornady's data and that is about it. Does your Vhituvuori manual have it as a standard cartridge?

Last edited by HadsDad; 12/25/17.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by HadsDad
How is your load development coming on the 8x68s? I recently bought one and load data is kinda difficult to find. I have Hornady's data and that is about it. Does your Vhituvuori manual have it as a standard cartridge?

Hi, I have not made any new loads for 8X86S for a while. I made some small improvement to my rifle's magazine and i also intend to free-float the barrel. Then I will test some loads in it again. The VihtaVuori Manual 3rd Edition has some loads for 8X68S. You can see them in the pictures below. Newer editions (e.g. 7th Edition currently published) do not have loads listed for 8X68S.

The 8X68S is an outstanding magnum-class cartridge. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
New pet load for 7mm Rem Mag:

Case: RWS (new, bought from Huntington)
Primer: Federal 215M
Powder: 65 grains of N570
Bullet: Lapua Naturalis 155 grain
Cartridge Overall Length= 3.24"

Produces muzzle velocity of about 2850 f/s in my Heym SR30 rifle and shoots 0.5 MOA groups laugh

Comments: RWS brass are outstanding and look/feel even better than the Nosler Custom brass that I have been using. The Nosler brass is also excellent. The RWS brass has a bit less capacity than the Nosler so my previous pet load (62 grain of N560) produced about 50 f/s more velocity in it. Despite this small change, my N560 load shoots well (=sub MOA) in both brands of brass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
And here are my validation shots for my previously developed load in 300 Win Mag:

Load Data:
Caliber 300 Win Mag,
Case:Nosler Custom
Powder: 72 grain of N560
Bullet: Lapua Naturalis 170 grain
V0 ~ 2850 f/s

The above load produces sub-MOA accuracy both in Blaser R8 and Sauer 202 rifles. The picture below shows the Blaser R8 target. I fired 5 shots then removed the scope (Zeiss Varipoint 3-12X56) and replaced it with a low-power scope that I wanted to zero (Zeiss Varipoint 1.1-4X24) . After I zeroed in the 1.1-4X scope, I mounted the original scope back and fired another 5 shots. All 10 shots clustered in a 1.5 group validating both the load and the outstanding rail-mount system I am using on this rifle laugh

The red-paper target shows the group obtained by the low-power scope after zeroing in.

Sincerely,
-Omid

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I was attending Shot Show and then SCI Convention in the previous weeks. I will resume reloading soon and this topic will become active again. In the meantime, here are some pictures. laugh

-Omid

Mauser M03 Alpine rifle:

[Linked Image]

Mauser M98 rifles (new manufacture)
[Linked Image]

New Blaser riflescopes (made by Minox/GSO for Blaser)

[Linked Image]

Mr Mathias Strasser and his rifle (Strasser RS14)
[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
After a long time, here are some updates on load development for caliber 8X68S:

I followed the new (2018) data posted on Vihtavouri website and developed 5 loads for 8X68S using N550 powder. The starting load was 60 grain and my max load was 64 grain (1 grain less than max listed on the website). I also used Federal 210M primer instead of 215M (which is a magnum primer) as per suggestion on the website. The velocity results are given in the chart below. They are about 150 f/s less than the published loading data but the accuracy was very good. In fact, the starting load (60 grain) produced a touching three-shot group at 100 yards. You can see a picture of this group and my rifle below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
NOTHING looks as good as a dressed up 98!!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by kraky111
Sorry.... but everytime I see the name of that bullet in print I think I'm staring at a condom machine in a greasy grimy bathroom somewhere!

Exactly!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Does anyone have first-hand experience comparing standard and magnum primers in the same load? I am preparing a second set of loads for the 8X68S caliber and I was wondering if it is worth trying Fed215M magnum primers. The velocities (shown on the left plot above) are just about 150 f/s less than I thought. I could increase the N550 charge but I don't want to do that yet..

Thanks

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I confirmed the optimal load in 8X68S with a new round of shooting. It is a mild load with a muzzle velocity of only 2600 f/s but it shoots very accurately and has negligible recoil in my 10 lb Sabbi Mauser rifle. Here are the full load data for the record a picture of a new target I shot yesterday.

Brass: RWS (new)
Powder: 60 grain of Vihtavouri N550
Primer: Fed210M
Bullet: Lapua Naturalis 180 grain (N559)
COAL: 86mm

100Y target (left group: RWS factory load 200 grain EVO; central group: the above load; right group: RWS factory load 180 grain H-mantel)

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Update on 300 Win Mag Load Development:

The same optimal load that shoots well in my Blaser R8 and Sauer 202 rifles, shoots accurately in my Sauer 90 rifle as well!! laugh I confirmed this last week after I had changed the scope on the Sauer 90 and was testing it to zero-in the new scope. You can see a picture of the 100 Yard target below.

I had read on some websites before that a "universal accurate load" that shoots well in many rifles exists. The 300 Win Mag Lapua Naturalis load that I have developed seem to be an example of that. Here are the details again:

Case:Nosler Custom (new, unfired)
Powder: 72 grain of N560
Bullet: Lapua Naturalis 170 grain
COAL: 3.4 Inch
V0 ~ 2850 f/s

Does anyone know why a single load shoots accurately in all three rifles? This is very interesting observation and there should be some technical explanation behind it. shocked cool

-Omid

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 06/06/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anyone know why a single load shoots accurately in all three rifles? This is very interesting observation and there should be some technical explanation behind it. shocked cool

Chris Long has a whitepaper where he talks about his theory of "Optimum Barrel Time".

http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT_paper.htm

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you for the link! This is the website I had read before but it was a long time ago and i'd forgotten. I'll read it carefully again.

-Omid

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
50 rounds of my "pet load" for 300 Win Mag, packaged and ready for hunting laugh

[Linked Image]

wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would love to try the naturalis bullets but I just can't with the BC numbers they have. Ttsx, gmx, etip do the same thing and have vastly better BC's. Maybe the gen 3 version will address the BC numbers.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by kman
I would love to try the naturalis bullets but I just can't with the BC numbers they have. Ttsx, gmx, etip do the same thing and have vastly better BC's. Maybe the gen 3 version will address the BC numbers.

I too sometimes feel tempted to try some of the new fancy schmancy bullets with ballistic coefficients of 0.7 or more but as I limit myself to normal hunting ranges (less than 400 yards) I am perfectly content with these bullets. They shoot very accurately and they expand reliably too (no fragmentation, just a nice and round mushroom). That's all I care for. To me, the ideal hunting bullet is a "long cylindrical object with a relatively blunt tip", like the 7mm Nautralis bullet with the BC of 0.270 laugh

I use Barnes (100 grain TSX) in my 270, very nice little bullet. I have not used GMX oe eTip bullets.

Last edited by Omid; 06/30/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I too sometimes feel tempted to try some of the new fancy schmancy bullets with ballistic coefficients of 0.7 or more but as I limit myself to normal hunting ranges (less than 400 yards) I am perfectly content with these bullets. They shoot very accurately and they expand reliably too (no fragmentation, just a nice and round mushroom). That's all I care for. To me, the ideal hunting bullet is a "long cylindrical object with a relatively blunt tip", like the 7mm Nautralis bullet with the BC of 0.270 laugh

I use Barnes (100 grain TSX) in my 270, very nice little bullet. I have not used GMX oe eTip bullets.

The crazy thing is that if you are content with 0.270 BC and the 1700fps/1000ft/lbs you get at 400 yards from your 7mm rem mag load, you could load a 7mm-08 with a 150ttsx to the same speed, less noise, recoil, powder, etc. and get 2100fps/1500ft/lbs at 400 yards.

I have a 6.5x47 Lapua I'd love to hunt with a Lapua hunting bullet but the 6.5 naturalis BC is atrocious. Muzzleloader bullets are better!

On a side note, I enjoy your 8x68S and wish dearly that I had bought the Sauer 202 barrel in 8x68S when I had the chance to do so. Foolishly I passed and have not seen one for sale since. thank

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess they don't shoot long range there

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Does anyone know why a single load shoots accurately in all three rifles?

I have such a load that shoots equally accurate in all 5 of my 308's. Yet another that shoots the same in all 3 of my 7 Wby's.

Robert E. Lee
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you Kman, Fotis and Reloder 28 for your recent comments. cool

Here are some new test results from the range:

A) My Optimum .300 Win Mag load proved itself again in my Sauer 202 rifle. I was using a new Sinclair bench rest with Edgewood front and rear bags. It took me a while to be able to shoot comfortably with this new set up but at the end I got some good results. The Sauer 202 now has a new scope (Schmidt and Bender Stratos 1.5-8X42) which I sighted in to shoot about 2 inches high at 100 yards. With this setting the rifle hits 300 yard metal disks simply by aiming at the top edge of disks! This indicates that the drop is probably no more than 6 to 7 inches in agreement with the ballistic tables.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B) The above load also shoots well in my Sauer 90. But some interesting things were observed: I first got a 3 shot horizontal group (if we consider the orange sticker that represents a two-shot-one-hole group from a previous test then it is a 5 shot horizontal group). Then later I got a 3 shot vertical group! I think this has to do with two things: 1) my front rest top surface being too hard making the rifle jump while shooting, 2) I fired this rifle with the leather sling attached to it. The sling is attached to the barrel so it puts some pressure on the barrel.

I also read an article on the Sinclair website that had some helpful tips about shooting a hunting rifle from the bench rest. According to the article on Sinclar website, I did not position my rifles on the rest properly. They suggest putting the rear rest after the pistol grip so that the rifle can recoil freely backwards. If you see the picture above, I pushed my pistol grip against the rear rest so this may also have affected my group sizes and shapes.

Do you guys experience a jump too? I did not notice a muzzle jump when I used a soft leather bag as my front rest. Any other thoughts or comments on shooting a rifle off the bench rest?

Thank you, laugh

-Omid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

The crazy thing is that if you are content with 0.270 BC and the 1700fps/1000ft/lbs you get at 400 yards from your 7mm rem mag load, you could load a 7mm-08 with a 150ttsx to the same speed, less noise, recoil, powder, etc. and get 2100fps/1500ft/lbs at 400 yards. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua I'd love to hunt with a Lapua hunting bullet but the 6.5 naturalis BC is atrocious. Muzzleloader bullets are better! On a side note, I enjoy your 8x68S and wish dearly that I had bought the Sauer 202 barrel in 8x68S when I had the chance to do so. Foolishly I passed and have not seen one for sale since. thank

Hi kman,

I am happy with most of my loads that use Lapua Naturalis bullets except for one: my 8X68S load is too slow (~ 2600 f/s). My 300 WM load is great (~2900 f/s and shoots accurately in 3 rifles), my 7mm Remington Magnum and 7X64 loads are fine too (shooting at 2800 f/s and 2600 f/s, respectively).

I followed the information on Vihtavuori website and used Federal 210 primers instead of 215. Also switched to a faster burning powder (N550). The velocity I achieved is about 200 f/s less than what's predicted on Vihtavuori website despite my rifle barrel being very long (26"). I might try again with N560 later to see if I can get more velocity. It is interesting how different guns produce different velocity with same load. For example, my Sauer 90 (300 WM) produces ~100 f/s less velocity than my Sauer 202 or Blaser R8 yet it shoots equality accurately with same load!! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

... The velocity I achieved is about 200 f/s less than what's predicted on Vihtavuori website despite my rifle barrel being very long (26")...

Omid,
This has been my experience with Vihta's published loads in different cartridges and with different powders. Last time, a mid range charge, according to their data, produced 230 fps below their estimation and a soothed case due to insuficient pressure which failed to expand the brass and seal the chamber.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by chamois

Omid,, This has been my experience with Vihta's published loads in different cartridges and with different powders. Last time, a mid range charge, according to their data, produced 230 fps below their estimation and a soothed case due to insuficient pressure which failed to expand the brass and seal the chamber.

Interesting! So their charge values may be inaccurate. Only a few reloading manuals cover 8X68S (e.g. Norma, Hornady and Lapua) so I have to compare their suggested charges to see where I am with the current charges. Previously I used N560 and went as high as 3000 f/s with Naturalis bullets but I could not get a tight group. This could have been related to my scope mount or the pressure point on the barrel (which I subsequently fixed). So I might repeat those loads again.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello All,

Last week I had a very confusing experience: I hand loaded about 20 rounds of my optimal load in 300 Winchester Magnum but this time, instead of new brass, I used once fired full-length sized brass. I fired some of these rounds in my Sauer 202 rifle and some in my Sauer 90 rifle. To my surprise, both rifles produced erratic groups with two flyers landing 3 to 4 inches away from a cluster of three shots! The velocities weren't noticeably different than the original load so I am not sure why this happened. Two potential causes that I can think of are a) barrels of both guns were thoroughly cleaned before shooting and b) inconsistent neck tension.

Could you guys please help diagnose the issue?

Thank you,
-Omid

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not a perfect example but I don’t typically use brand new brass for load work unless I run it thru the same sizer I would fired brass just for the neck tension issue you mentioned. Some folks just round out the necks and load and get different results. That’s always happened to me unless I use the same sizing I’d use for once fired stuff.

Semper Fi
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I intend to use my loads for hunting so that's why I use new brass. I don't process the new brass and so far they have been nice and consistent. I use mainly Nosler Custom and RWS brass. Both are great but I have come to prefer RWS. They are great quality and they come in 20-round paper boxes which is very convenient for keeping the loaded rounds. (The brass I use for 300 WM is Nosler Custom.)

I am still thinking of reasons why the reloaded rounds are not as good as new rounds I make (?) confused I have read some articles online and the most probable cause is likely neck tension. Given that it is much more time consuming to re-size and prepare a case for reloading, I think its wise to simply load new cases and forget about "reloading" grin

Last edited by Omid; 09/11/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I take pretty good care of my cases, minimizing sizing enough to confidently feed and chamber in my rifles along with annealing and have no problem using a 3x fired case as I do a 1x fired. I just want the same tension on the neck each time.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Run out?

Do you check it?

DF

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Here you can see the groups. The first group fired in Sauer 202 rifle (top right) shows two flyer shots. Similarly, the first group fired in Sauer 90 rifle (bottom right) also shows two flyers. The next rounds fired in each rifle were not as bad but still not satisfactory.

Regarding bullet run out. This could be a cause too but I don't have a gauge to test concentricity. confused

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 09/11/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The name sounds like organic Vitalis.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d check mounts and the scope too..

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d check mounts and the scope too..

+1

Mount a different scope, one known to be on the money.

DF

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you for your comments "beretzs" and "dirtfarmer".

I agree that the scopes and mounts - specially the mounts- must be checked too. The scopes are reliable (Schmidt and Bender) and the mounts are of the highest quality (EAW, worth $450 each). But I acknowledge that even with these mounts there could be issues with proper installation and some screw maybe loose or the front base - which absorbs recoil- may be slipping. I have had such issues before.

I am thinking of doing the following experiment to help further reduce the causes of the problem:

a) Make a new set of re-loaded rounds and fire them in my Blaser R8 (which I have 100% confidence in its scope and mount, it is a Zeiss rail mount)
b) Make a set of rounds using NEW BRASS and fire in Sauer 202 and Sauer 90 rifles and see if a similar effect is observed.

So, this needs another night or reloading, another trip to the range and another session of cleaning all these guns smile Meanwhile, I have ordered a set of Redding Type-S neck-sizing dies in 300 Win Mag to try next. Maybe I get a concentricity indicator too.

Reloading = spend all your time mad + spend all your money wink confused laugh

Last edited by Omid; 09/12/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like a good plan. I’d also take a look at the Sinclair Mandrel Set. Makes bringing the necks back to the same internal diameter pretty easy and straightening out new brass outta the box or bag.

Semper Fi
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Happy Friday!

I decided to order the QuickLoad internal ballistics software to help with developing loads. I have had it for two days now and I am still learning how to use it. I'll write more about it later.

cool

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Made 50 new rounds in caliber 300 WM for further testing. Most of the rounds are my standard load in this caliber (72 grain of N560, COAL: 3.40 inches) but some are slightly modified:

5 rounds are 0.05 inch longer
5 rounds are 0.05 inch shorter
10 rounds have Federal 210M (non-magnum) primer

I look forward to shooting these at the range soon. Meanwhile, I am also testing and examining my experimental results in QuickLoad software. It looks like the above load is one that achieves Optimal Barrel Time and that's why it shows well in three different rifles. Does any body here use Optimal Barrel Time technique in reloading?

-Omid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I load by OCW method. OBT is often thought to explain why OCW works so well, but that may or may not be the case.

Concerning your sized brass precision issues, it is lamentably common for full-length sizer dies to pull case necks off center or off axis, creating concentricity or runout troubles.

Last edited by MZ5; 09/25/18.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you MZ5. Here are the results of testing the above loads at the shooting range. The standard COAL and the short COAL seem to produce identical results laugh. The long COAL produced higher velocity (I was expecting slightly lower!) and a poor group. I am not sure why this happens but a plausible explanation is that the bullets are now touching the lands.

There is also an interesting "structure" in the 5-shot groups in series A and C. Any explanation for that? confused laugh

PS. I adjusted the scope for windage after Series A. Series B, C and D are shot after the adjustment.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 09/26/18.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Once you've zero'd your charge weight, OAL is good for fine-tuning to the tightest groups, if you're using the OCW approach. Relatively small OAL changes will often change the shape of groups even when you're pretty well on the OCW. Same basic thing happens using OBT as your underlying method. Then again, shooting 5, 5-shot groups often changes the shape or 'structure' of the groups, too. (-;

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello all and happy Friday!

Getting ready for another test. This time I have
  • separated my fired brass according to the rifle it was fired in
  • only neck-sized the fired brass
  • used Redding type-S (with bushing) dies for neck sizing
  • tested my brass for weight and have removed cases which were more than 1 grain away from the nominal weight

In addition, I am also preparing a set of 40 rounds using new brass. 10 of these I have neck-sized and the rest are being loaded as they come from the factory without any preparation. This should help determine if neck sizing new brass has any real effect.

Finally, I have also bought a Sinclair neck-wall thickness tool and I am experimenting with it.

smile

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello again,

I went to the shooting range last week to test my most resent loads. It was a very windy day (maybe 20 mph or stronger head winds and corss winds). After arriving at the range I realized that I had forgotten to bring my Lab Radar and the 300 Win Mag loads I had made!! So I ended up testing some loads in my Heym 7mm Magnum rifle and my new Blaser R8 in 9.3X62 with no information on velocity.

To my surprise, the 9.3X62 bullets all hit near the bullseye and made very good groups despite the strong wind. Now, how should we choose the best load from these groups? Is it correct to ignore the horizontal desperation (i.e. attribute it to wind) and only judge the groups by their vertical dispersion?

wink

-Omid

Blaser R8 in Caliber 9.3X62 with 24" heavy safari barrel:

[Linked Image]

100 Yard Groups (51 to 54 grain N540, Lapua Naturalis 250 grain bullet, Caliber 9.3X62):

[Linked Image]

200 Yard Group (56 grain N540)

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello?!! wink Nobody has any opinion on which group in the above targets is the best group? laugh They were shot in very windy conditions. To compensate for wind, should we ignore the horizontal desperation and only look at vertical dispersion?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Omid, if it were me, looking at your targets, I'd run with your 56 grain load. Your group is a little larger than MOA but pretty danged close. Can't imagine you wouldn't do real well with it zero'ed up at 200 yards. All of your 100 yard groups are really about the same to me honestly, I'd almost have to see the same loads shot on top of those current ones to see any difference in them. All being the same, I'd run the highest charge and go hunting!

Semper Fi
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
Omid, if it were me, looking at your targets, I'd run with your 56 grain load. Your group is a little larger than MOA but pretty danged close. Can't imagine you wouldn't do real well with it zero'ed up at 200 yards. All of your 100 yard groups are really about the same to me honestly, I'd almost have to see the same loads shot on top of those current ones to see any difference in them. All being the same, I'd run the highest charge and go hunting!

Thank you for your quick reply. I was thinking same thing (choosing the 56 grain load) as it showed good performance at longer range. Unfortunately I didn't have my LabRadar to measure velocities but from the 200Y drop and based on Quickload estimates, this load should be about ~2400 f/s. The Vhitavuori manual shows up to 58.5 grain of N540 so it should be safe too (also verified by quick load).

I am pleasantly supersized by how well this rifle shot my first test loads! I think it is related to two things: a) the quality of the barrel b) the thumb-hole stock and its ergonomic advantage.

Love this rifle and caliber! laugh

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Wild boar shot with 250 grain Lapua Naturalis bullet fired from my 9.3X62 Blaser rifle. The bullet went completely through both shoulders and was not found.

laugh

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Hello all,

Here are two test groups I shot using the Blaser 9.3X62 rifle just prior to hunting. The targets were at 100 Yard and the day was sunny and calm. The left target was shot with a round which had a charge of 52 grain of N540. The right target shows the group from the load with 56 grain of N540. Both loads shoot very well. Velocity for the milder load is ~2200 f/s. The other load reaches to near 2400 f/s. cool

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you’ve got a pair of winners Omid. Great shooting load!

Semper Fi
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you! It was as you'd predicted before: both loads shoot great. I might experiment a bit more (+1 grain on the top load and -1 grain on the lower speed load) with slightly reduced COAL just for aesthetic reasons. No other changes or load development is necessary.

The performance of 9.3X62 is so impressive that it has inspired me to look at 9.3X64 as well. This caliber is less popular than 9.3X62 but seems a great all-around caliber. Anybody here on the forum shoots 9.3X64?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Buddy runs a x64 and does well with BC moose, bear and deer using the 250 Accubond at 2800. It’s a beast really.

Semper Fi
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Interesting! 9.3X62 is already very powerful and quite capable with the 250 grain Lapua bullets going 2200 to 2400 f/s. I checked QuickLoad and it looks like 9.3X64 can produce ~2700 f/s with this same bullet! This is a lot of power and the trajectory will be same or better than a 30-06

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello all,

Here are some new test results in Caliber 8X68S:

Case: RWS, Once Fired, FL-Sized and Trimmed
Powder: N560
Primer: Federal 215 match
Bullet: Lapua Naturalis 180 Grain

Charge Weights: 76 grain (top left), 76.5 grain (top right), 77 grain (center), 77.5 grain (bottom left) and 78 grain (bottom right)

It is seen from the target that the 77 grain charge (velocity about 3050 f/s) is optimal. I am very happy to see this but I have two questions:

a) Is it normal to see as much change in POI and group size just by changing 0.5 grain in powder charge? Note that changing the charge has changed both POI and group size not just group size.

b) This rifle has a pressure point underneath the barrel just about two inches before the for-end tip. The barrel is otherwise free-floating. But on close observation I noticed that the barrel gap on the right side is less than the gap on the left side so a dollar bill slips under the barrel with difficulty if inserted from the right side but goes in easily if inserted from the left side of the barrel channel. Can it be that when the barrel was heated, the fore-end somehow touched the barrel and made POI go higher and left as seen in some test groups?

Looking forward to hearing your thougths,

-Omid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Hello everyone,

Here are some new test results for Caliber 9.3X62 using a new Swarovski scope: My optimal load of 56 grain of N540 powder + 250 grain Lapua Naturalis bullet performed very well again. This load shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards and I could repeatedly hit a 300-Y disk with it once my scopes BDC turret was set to the per-calculated 300Y mark. This mark provides about 7 MOA of elevation adjustment over the 100 Y zero. However, the 400Y mark which I had set to about 11 MOA seemed to be excessive. The rifle shot over the target at 400Y.

The test results were very satisfying. I don't think I will ever really need to shoot anything at 400Y with this rifle so calibrating the scope's turret up to 300Y is enough. No need to waist any more precious hand-load ammo

laugh

The Blaser R8 Rifle:

[Linked Image]

Effect of setting the BDC Turret to 300Y and 400Y marks (target is at 100 Yard):

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 04/23/19.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.