FWIW mine cracked.

Replaced with the aluminum from hinterland

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by fishdog52
A vote for the 700. The Rem 700 action has withstood the test of time as strong and reliable. Lots of "high end" rifles being built on the 700.
Not aware of any good gunsmiths building on the Tikka.

I have a Tikka built by Crescent Customs and Jim Kobe. I have also seen Tikkas built by Long rifles Inc, Short Action Customs, Dennis Adams, and more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221
FWIW mine cracked.

Replaced with the aluminum from hinterland

The bummer being they stopped making the colored ones and I had a red one on the 30-06 I let my brother in law talk me out of.

Ex brother in law now. It's not coming back any time soon.....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That's a bummer for sure. Mine was just the standard black.

I'm glad to see tikka is addressing the issue.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn! I own several of both rifles, i like them both for their own reasons, it seems i hunt with my Tikka's more so I vote Tikka but I doctor My Tikkas up with aluminum shrouds and trigger guards along with stainless action screws, these upgrades arent neccessary but i do enjoy them so they are worth it to Me......Good luck with your choice.....Hb

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The newer Tikka's still use that 3 shot plastic mag? That wht I hate the most on my 95 series Tikka's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't hate on Tikka like some, but it's 700 for me by a mile. They just fit me better, and I just plain prefer the 700 action.

I kinda hate to hear all the "out of the box accuracy" praises for Tikka. It's true that both I've owned shot very well with no tinkering....but about an hour's work and half an ounce of common sense can have most any 700(even those that initially seem problematic) shooting better than I can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's another fella in Australia making 10 round 223 mags that will take VLD's kissing the lands. He's monkeying with a lot of stuff. Flush mags being another. I'm not convinced that there isn't enough "hole" there for a slightly staggered box to hold more. Think it's in the works. Anyway, here's the email.

Seems the USA has more of the "haters"

Hello happy T3 owners…

Firstly, I apologise for, yet, another email. And, I’m sorry that I now know the right questions to ask, given the overwhelming response to my previous email (thank you so much).

It is clear that there is a very strong demand for reduce capacity mags (less than 10 rounds). Many reasons are protrusion depth, or the mass of the mag when fully loaded (or even unloaded), etc. I am sold that I need to accommodate, and I thank those very keen supporters who are willing to pay NOW to expedite development. But first things first…

a) There is a lot of comments or questions, or suggestions, about making a 4 round WSM, or a 5 round, etc. Considering any mag, many of these mags fit multiple cartridges. So, a 5 round 30-06 might only be a 3 round WSM. A 4 round WSM is the most asked for of the short long mag, so that would make it a 6 round 30-06.
b) I will be making a 10 round and 6 round 223 mag. The 6 round 223 may only fit 5 204 Ruger, but we’ll see (I should hold 6x 204, but I can’t guarantee yet).
c) I will make a 10 round and 6 round in 308. The 6 round is to cater for the EU shooters that participate in field shooting etc (their strings are 6 shots).
d) I’ll make a 6 round in 6.5x55 (ie. the “long taper”) mag. Note this magazine has been proven to also feed 22-250, but an owner would need to cut back the rear of follower and glue in a plastic spacer at rear.
e) It is NOT CLEAR if there are many wanting the 6.5x55 mag in 10 round – many that said they wanted the 10 round have replied to say they want the 6 now…
f) The 30-06 will be a 10 round and 6 round for the 30-06 cartridge. This should equate to 8 and 4 WSM rounds…
g) I know a few of you strictly want a 4 round or 5 round mag. Unless I can sell 100 or so, It just isn’t worth it to try that size when a 6 round mag should only be approx. 6mm deeper.
h) 10 round prototypes have proven excellent. We now just need to invest a bit more time and money to develop the 6 round mags…

Somebody asked about dimensions for reduced capacity mags. These will be firmed up next week…

Not that we can afford this, given the MASSIVE outlays we’ve endured thus far through prototyping and testing, but I'll be offering a nice little discount of any magazine of the next generation of mags above, where the buyer pays in advance of production. It helps me to help you. Please advise per below…

Very sorry to ask, and I know many of you have replied in the past…but given this news:

- Can you please reply to me if you wish to order any of the mags I’m about to make (listed above).

- Please specify:
o Mag cartridge? 223, 308, 6.5x55, 30-06/WSM (note, all family of mentioned cartridges are suitable).
o Capacity? 10 or 6 rounds.
o Quantity?
o Willing to pay up front pre-production (Yes or No).

Again, I am sorry for the questions, and I thank you for the support and feedback.

Dave

Hello T3 owners…

This is just a quick update, as a few things are happening you might like to know about…

I know many of you are keen for the Floor Plates (bottom metal) and extendable bolt knobs. Many thanks for the interest and support. Sorry to say, these 2 items are currently on hold while I sort this next bit of mag news out…

223 Gen 3 Mags The 223 magazine still powers along as being a very successful magazine. The mag was recently produced in 2 finishes – matte and a semi-gloss. The semi-gloss was to offer a “wipe clean” ability many hunters wanted, given the matte finish required wiping with a damp cloth.

We recently release a follower modification to the 223 mag which would allow the mag to give greater ability to cycle the 204 or a 222 cartridges. So, for the YEARS I told people the 204 and 222 won’t work, this news is now getting obsolete. Email me for the instruction…

308 Gen 3 Mags are still doing well. Recently, during development of the G4 “long taper” (6.5x55) mag, we produced some early mags that had some 308 internals – with the main difference being that one could load VLVLD (Very Long Very Low Drag) type projectiles in the mag. I had near a dozen variants of these. I have 2 remaining that I must keep for cross checking until the Gen 4 “long taper” mags are ready. In a couple of weeks, these 2 last prototypes will be available for a very cheap price…

6.5x55 Gen 4 Mags, which are actually called our “Long Taper” mags, will take most any case that is long with a reasonably aggressive taper in it. AND, to my surprise, ALL OF YOU 22-250 shooters out there may be happy to know that this mag will run those cases up to a capacity of approx 8-9. The 250 case catch is the bullets need to be loaded LONG – all those 22-250 shooters running 50 grain projectiles may not have a lot of joy unless they work the bolt FAST. The main issue for 250 cases out of these mags is the case length – the bullet tip is only just out of the receiver mag slot as the case exits the feed lips. However, the intended purpose of this mag is to run x55 cartridges, as it does so perfectly – I could not be happier. Standby for availability update coming soon. The only threat to this production run will be pre-order quantity commitment.

30-06, 284, WSM Gen 4 Mags. Are still proving a very wanted item. Producing these in 30-06 is obvious, much is the WSM capacity. However, why the 284? Well, the 284 is becoming a VERY popular cartridge to rebarrel the shot-out barrel unit in due course. I am doing this myself, as are a few of you, so I have your solution…coming… Standby for availability update coming soon.

5-6 Shot Gen 4 Mags??? I am getting a lot of enquiries about wanting 5 or 6 shot mags. However, the reason for them are mixed… Some say they want 5 so the mag is flush (which it actually can’t be unless only 3 shot or so). Or, they want 5 to comply with a match rule. Or no more than 6 if the larger calibre mags due to overall weight. The point is, should the mags be 5 or 6 rounds? AND, in the case of 30-06 WSM mag ,is it 5 or 6 of which calibre? As an example, a 5 round 30-06 will only hold 4 rounds of WSM.

So, do T3 owners want 5 or 6 round mags, and if they know, to which cartridge?

Today, Saturday, we just completed our first mock-up of a 5 round magazine in 223 that will hold 5 rounds of 204. It looks great.

A 5 round mag:

- In 223 will go ahead (not 6) because the main issue is people just want it a shallow as possible (minimal protrusion) unit.

- We are not seeing a lot of requests for this mag in 308. Please email your thoughts. And suggest if should be 5 or 6 shots.

- In 6.5x55 (long taper) I’ve had reasonable interest in this 10 shot mag. I have NOT heard from many for a 5 or 6 shot. Please, email your interest in a 5 or 6 shot, and explain reason why (carry weight, match regulations (which match?), bulk, etc.).

- In 30-06/WSM, it is worth noting the 10 shot 30-06 will only be an 8 shot WSM. We will produce a reduce capacity mag, but there is something to consider… When talking about making a 5 or 6 shot, one must be clear for which cartridge they are referring to – the 06 or the WSM. Please advise your thoughts on this ASAP.

For the above 5 round (or 6) mag clarifications, please get back to me ASAP, but also please note I can’t produce a mag for EVERY use, so it will be a case of majority rule.

There will be a Gen 4 long taper and 06/magnum mags external design change – to clearly distinguish these from the Gen 3 223 and 308. More on this later…along with pics of the 2 new Gen 4 mags (long taper and 06/magnum).

I hope you find the above of interest and you can continue to support me (which is greatly appreciated).

Thanks
Dave

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 700 is basically a bank vault. Has served the US Military in various forms for decades. I grew up shooting them and prefer them. Nothing wrong with Tikkas I've owned a few. Nice rifles just a preference thing for me. Are 700's perfect? Not hardly but what is?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
700 for me.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have purchased a dozen or more 700's in the past 10 years or so and every one shot MOA right out of the box so i really dont see any accuracy advantage with the Tikkas i have owned (which also shot MOA right out of the box) almost any newly CNC manufactured rifle these days will shoot MOA right out of the box, ive seen great accuracy out of Ruger Americans and TC Venture's which are by no means high dollar rifles........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Tikka stock just feels like a POS. Almost as bad as a Ruger American.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've hunted with a Tikkas T3 for 11 years and love the rifle. While I'm certain the Tikkas T3X would be hard to beat I'd take the Rem Mountain SS because I've got a Tikkas already and there's nothing wrong with trying something new. grin

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Bugger
I would still pick the 700. Just for the simple reason that I grew up with them and that's what I like. I had a tikka in a 243 and it was a nice rifle that shot very well. Still didn't feel to me like a 700 does. I'd say pick the one that feels best to you as I think they are both fine rifles.

+1

+2.

+3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Bugger
I would still pick the 700. Just for the simple reason that I grew up with them and that's what I like. I had a tikka in a 243 and it was a nice rifle that shot very well. Still didn't feel to me like a 700 does. I'd say pick the one that feels best to you as I think they are both fine rifles.

+1

+2.

+3

I have BOTH, hunt the Tikka T3 Lite SS much more.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
The Tikka stock just feels like a POS. Almost as bad as a Ruger American.

Some people like cottage cheese, yuck!

I prefer Cream cheese.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Honestly fellas I hunt my Tikka T 3 Lite SS 270 more than any other.

I do rotate and hunt others but the Tikka more.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I buy American-made when I have a choice

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Huntsman -

I appreciate that. Do we buy anything foreign made ?
If we have American options.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Model 700 Mountain Rifle SS in 7-08. Love the rifle, just not as big a fan of the caliber as I thought I'd be. I've held on to it hoping the 7-08 would grow on me, but so far it hasn't. At any rate, I've only had one Tikka, a 223 Compact, and it shot very good. I loaned it to a friend for his kid to deer hunt with, and the boy killed his first deer with it, and wanted the rifle. I sold it, and bought a Model 7 stainless in 223. Guess that shows what I prefer. I'm just a fan of the Model 700/Model 7 class of rifles.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.