Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here is what I like to see when I skin a buck!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 11/05/16.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You seldom see a buck where I live with that much fat, but over at my cousins place, which is only about 10-12 miles as the crow flies, it is common. Heavier horns over there too. He is closer to the White River bottoms where the deer are heavier and the minerals are different. Doesn't seem like much but He is around 25-30 feet lower in elevation. My house is just around 230 ft above sea level. His house is around 200, and on a ridge between two creeks. The surrounding farm land is in the 180's. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by SKane
Still the oldest buck I've ever killed.
Taxi said all he could tell me was the deer was older than 6.5 years.

Whopping 130" smile

[Linked Image]

Do you know how much this one weighed?

That deer is a hog. I have never seen a whitetail that big.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As of a few years ago, the heaviest deer on record in the U.S. was not a Mule Deer, but a Whitetail.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
A hunter took the game-camera-pictured buck below, this last weekend.

Some thought 140ish.
161+ gross
151+ net

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
We get alot of 130 class whitetails around here.

What does this one score?

[Linked Image]

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
What will this one score?

Estimated good spread 23+, by hunter in field.

[Linked Image]

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
As of a few years ago, the heaviest deer on record in the U.S. was not a Mule Deer, but a Whitetail.

According to the book Deer Of North America the heaviest deer was a whitetail about 500 pounds. I think it was killed by a woman with a shotgun.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I don't know the first thing about scoring a buck. What do the scoring experts say about this one? Inside spread is 17", 9 points (split brow tine). He was taken on public land in the woods.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Nothing horns me up like a nice 8 point. My biggest 8 to date is 130.

I also like 8's. This one from last year is 150 gross (tiny G4 sticker on left beam), 21" spread, 25" beams. 5 1/2 years old.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just checked some cameras yesterday.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bangeye
Put me down in the shoot what ever makes you happy column. I agree that if you take more than a couple of 120 plus point bucks you are pretty lucky if you hunt in the east on small farms and public land. I find the QDMA types that either own/work at a location where there is a large amount of acreage where basically they farm deer to be a bit hard to take when they cop an attitude about shooting smaller bucks. I also note that most of these guys tend to let slip that they seem to shoot a lot of smaller deer but act like its a chore for them and they have to do it like killing rats. Ive seen some pretty decent deer pictures and then the guy gives it the old "well I had to shoot him he was a cull buck". I always sort of call BS on that. I always wonder what their attitude would be if they only got to spend 2-5 days in the woods and hunted a 100 acre tract where you know if you didn't shoot the buck as soon as he crossed over to the neighbors farm he was down. Most of the 20 or so deer I have killed have been 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old bucks and does with the bucks probably averaging 90 -110 score. I did get lucky a bout 4-5 years ago and had a really nice 10 pt walk out that using the B&C scoring chart grossed 156. I figure he's my once in a lifetime buck, but who knows.

As long as you don't live any closer to me than a couple of miles I"m good with it. LOL. 100 acres here. I let lots walk often... managed to keep three decent 10s in the mid to upper 120s last year without any of the local I just have to kill a deer folks shooitng them. They are QUITE a bit better this year. But like last year I"ll likely take out one bad spike that showed up and a 4x1 that needed to go last year...and see if any of those three can continue to grow.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two best bucks...both taken with the bow...back to back within 100 yds of each other...both grossed in the 130's

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Back when I was writing for Precision Shooting a reader sent me pictures of a whitetail he got in CT. He said it dressed out at 325 lbs. After seeing the pics I believed him.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Eqfd beautiful deer

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have some pretty big deer here in my part of Kentucky, with several B&C bucks being taken each year. We also have a huge influx of out of state hunters who have leased land here, or bought farms. I would say that most of them are from Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida. They will shoot a 130 class buck and act like they've just killed the new state record. I'm guessing that they don't have big deer in those states.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hate the term "cull". It is like it has a disease or something. And I suspect a good portion of the time, that buck will grow good antlers the next year. We see very, very few "cull" bucks. We control over 700 acres and I bet we don't see 1 every 5 years (that is both hunting and with 9 trail cameras out year long).

I believe for a long time, the heaviest whitetail was shot near Duluth MN and was over 500 pounds. Our biggest dressed out at 272 pounds.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bangeye
Eqfd beautiful deer

No lie. I'd have been a grinning like that too.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by SKane
Still the oldest buck I've ever killed.
Taxi said all he could tell me was the deer was older than 6.5 years.

Whopping 130" smile

[Linked Image]

Id like to know what that hog weighed.

I wouldn't want to drag him, that's for sure. That's a whale with antlers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And I suspect a good portion of the time, that buck will grow good antlers the next year.

Not what I see here. A couple of examples. Back 15 years or longer, we had a big 5pt on one side and what we thought was a broken antler on the other. He was seen about 3 years in a row, but never killed. Then we started getting young deer with a good antler on one side and a stub antler on the other. It could be either side, and I killed several of them. They still pop up every once in a while. Bad genetics. Also, right after Arkansas instituted the pt. rule, where a deer had to have at least 3 pts. on one side, we had a long antlered spike that was not legal to kill. I saw him for several years and the spikes just kept getting longer. They finally turned into a main beam that looked, at a distance, like a good buck. But when you put your binoculars on Him, no points, just main beams. Bad genetics. He finally disappeared, and then they changed the rules so that kids under 16 can kill a spike. I have seen several that needed to die, but I can't kill them and there are no kids there at the time. When a deer has spikes his second year, he needs to die. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by benchman
My opinion is the same as yours. I'm kinda put off by the whole "bass tournament" inspired trophy hunting. Any deer is a good deer, in my book. Nice to get a big one, but good to just get one . Pa. is a good example. Used to be, the average guy could just go out and shoot a deer. I do not like, or agree with, the antler restrictions. Joe Average has 2 or 3 days to hunt rifle season, and he should at least see something legal. Pa. has really shot themselves in the foot, regarding deer hunting. They got rid of a lot of their deer. Used to be THE deer hunting state. Not anymore. I've shot a few deer over 130, but I'm a meat hunter, and you don't eat antlers. Fun to chase a big one. I'll admit that...

I agree with this, 100%.

Furthermore, I am against states instituting antler restrictions. If you have your own private ranch, or property, and wish to practice QDM, I'm all for it. However, I do not believe your values should be placed on the public, as a whole. This is, after all, America.

Many, if not most, "average Joes" only get to hunt weekends, and only hunt public lands where any buck, is a good buck.
Personally, I like to shoot a bigger buck- but that is a personal decision.

As the season winds down though, if my tag hasn't been filled, I have no shame in harvesting a smaller buck(on the hunting shows they refer to them as "cull bucks").

Here's my 2016 130"(may be a lil' bigger) class buck-

[Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Big In Texas is 200lbs

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 73 invisible), 3,184 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,540
Posts18,510,018
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.