Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Ringman

If it's legal......

It's not and shouldn't be. Just like spotlighting.

Based on what?

Are you really that dense?

Yes, he is.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I should clarify for Ringman that when I say it should be illegal, I'm not talking about the instrument itself, just the use of it to locate big game animals while hunting them.

Based on both fair chase and management of the resource. If hunters are able to locate game using thermal imaging, besides it being an unfair advantage success rates will go up, more animals will be killed, tag allocations will have to decrease, and as a result opportunities to draw tags will decrease.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I should clarify for Ringman that when I say it should be illegal, I'm not talking about the instrument itself, just the use of it to locate big game animals while hunting them.

Based on both fair chase and management of the resource. If hunters are able to locate game using thermal imaging, besides it being an unfair advantage success rates will go up, more animals will be killed, tag allocations will have to decrease, and as a result opportunities to draw tags will decrease.

smoke, you're talking about fair chase and game management; two concepts that Wrongman has shown time and again he has no ability to grasp and no desire to understand. Somehow, he'll always try to twist it back around to a very skewed notion of some ridiculous misunderstanding of Biblical directives and down a rabbit hole he'll go. Yes, he's that damned dense.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Yikes!!!! Someone will hook this up to a drone in no time.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think the PA game commission recently prohibited drones on gamelands. The thermal imaging stuff looks neat. How long does the heat signature stay around if you are trying to track a wounded deer through the brush?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let me help you with a little memory. You said,

If it's legal......

So I asked you to tell us how you know it is "not" legal and you didn't support your statement, but changed it to "should not" be legal. That is a totally different idea. In fact it is a world of difference.

Here's a little clue about optic aids. There are thousands of hunters, including me, who use binoculars every year to find game they would never see without the technological aid. I have even found them within seventy-five yards that were on the other side of bushes and brush with the aid of binoculars; just like someone mentioned you could do with the thermal tool.

Do you want to tell us binoculars are cheating and not "fair chase"?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Let me help you with a little memory. You said,

If it's legal......

So I asked you to tell us how you know it is "not" legal and you didn't support your statement, but changed it to "should not" be legal. That is a totally different idea. In fact it is a world of difference.

Here's a little clue about optic aids. There are thousands of hunters, including me, who use binoculars every year to find game they would never see without the technological aid. I have even found them within seventy-five yards that were on the other side of bushes and brush with the aid of binoculars; just like someone mentioned you could do with the thermal tool.

Do you want to tell us binoculars are cheating and not "fair chase"?

This device is not optical, you congenital idiot - it's electronic. Beyond that, it's thermal which sees in a spectrum that you cannot without the electronic device, again taking it out of the definition of optical (by definition optics deal with light and the visible electromagnetic spectrum, of which heat is not part thereof).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So I asked you to tell us how you know it is "not" legal...

No you didn't. Your whole post said "Based on what?" Which is obviously open to interpretation since I made two different points in my post--that 1) it's illegal; and 2) should be.

As 4ager pointed out, it's not an optical device, so the rest of your post is irrelevant.

And it's not fair chase either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No you didn't. Your whole post said "Based on what?" Which is obviously open to interpretation since I made two different points in my post--that 1) it's illegal; and 2) should be.

As 4ager pointed out, it's not an optical device, so the rest of your post is irrelevant.

Something I look through is not an optical device?

So now you are saying binoculars are not fair chase?

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Nice try Ringy, how on earth did you come up with that gem?

If you want to know which states ban the thermal imaging devices, you can look it up. It takes a few minutes, and a modicum of skills. You may be interested in how Oregon regulates use of infrared devices.

IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Something I look through is not an optical device?

I already explained that, you congenital retard. It's an electronic device (which is not optical) and it works outside of the visible electromagnetic spectrum (which again makes it not optical).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you want to know which states ban the thermal imaging devices, you can look it up. It takes a few minutes, and a modicum of skills. You may be interested in how Oregon regulates use of infrared devices.

Why would I spend time looking up how other states regulate thermal devises or anything else for that mater?

Everyday Hunter
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Rich has no conception of reality, and damned little of ethics, as evidenced here and in his attempts to sell or trade off a rifle without full disclosure of flaws with said rifle.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Why would I spend time looking up how other states regulate thermal devises or anything else for that mater?

Well, you moron, because you're the one that brought up legality. In other words, you said "if legal", and don't even know if it is so - and clearly could care less if it were or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not even sure it would be legal for finding downed game.

You can't finish off with a rifle what was started with a bow, at least here in MT.

The only way I would be legal I suppose is if you knew the animal was dead. Which you never do, until you find it.

It would be a friggin cool toy to mess around with though.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is legal in Oregon but only for varmits and only for land owner or land owner's agent.

Is it ethical for game hunting? That is up to the ethics of each hunter. In my book it is not but that is my opinion.

Still, it would be fun to play with just to see what you could find lurking in the dark.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think some states restrict the use of infrared, but a thermal imaging device is not the same. Good point on the use of the word optic. Any instrument you view with your eye would be an optic by definition.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by barm

I think some states restrict the use of infrared, but a thermal imaging device is not the same. Good point on the use of the word optic. Any instrument you view with your eye would be an optic by definition.

Sorry, bud, but optics are defined as using the visible electromagnetic spectrum, and this thing does not. It's an electronic device, not an optical device. Even the "zoom" is digital; i.e., electronic. If the electronics are turned off (i.e., it is not powered up), it is a zero-magnification tube.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
this opens a whole new can of worms in fair chase hunting

+1 Not sure how to feel about this........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
At what point do people put away all the bullschit and go back to hunting?!!

Is all this stuff to compensate for lack of old-fashioned hunting skills?

Is it that important to get a kill every time that you are willing to sacrifice your ethics?...that you are willing to sacrifice the traditions? Should we no longer call it hunting, but instead just call it 'killing'?

At what point do we decide to make it a fair chase? To actually give the game we hunt a fair chance?

I'm starting to get sick of all this uber technology invading our tradition of actually learning the animal's traits and habits. The truth of it is that there are quite a few people who would more belong in a bar shooting pool than in the field with a rifle.

Flame away, I don't give a rat's azz.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,451
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.