Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good morning Gentlemen!

I have inherited this .22 bolt action repeater. Unfortunately, it came with no magazine. Does anyone know of a source? I'm not very internet savvy, but it seems like a LOT of Savage/Stevens/Springfield .22s take the same magazine. Is that true? I'm not a big fan of detachable mags for this very reason.

On the other hand, I did shoot it a little yesterday (as a single shot) and at 25 yards was making groups covered by a nickel. Oh, I forgot to mention the Ranger 4X scope.

Thanks for any help.

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doug, the 56 is a basic version of the Savage Model 4 and takes the same magazine, Triple-K has new after market but originals are usually available so I have not tried the Triple-K's. They are available in 5 or 10 shot with with the 5 shot's coming in two slightly different case sizes - I think the slightly longer case was need for the target models so it would clear the bottom of the larger stocks - either would work for you.

Here is links to the Triple-K which has a listing of all the models they fit -
5 round Triple-K
10 round Triple-K

Remington used a magazine that only differed in the shape of the notch for the catch, they will work in a Savage unmodified but the Savage would need a slight modification to work in a Remington.

Gene
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't see this as OT. This is a Savage collectors/shooters forum and Stevens is a Savage brethren. Please post some pictures.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend these from Brownells, better and cheaper:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...-prod72216.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=Savage+Arms

Fits Savage Westpoint 434, 26C, 33, 34, 35, 56, 056, 56C, 056C, 57, 057, 65, 84, 084, 084S, 84C, 84CNS, 84CD, 84D, 84E, 85, 085, 4/4C/4CD/4D/7/7-A/23-AA/19-33/57/56C, 85A, 85E, 85K, 85KE, 85H, 416, 420, 840S, 850, 850H, Cooper model 36 and some store guns such as Coast to Coast, Western Auto, Midwest Auto, Sears, Montgomery Wards based on the above popular Stevens/Savage designs.

Last edited by Rick99; 11/02/16.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Link to above

link

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, the ones offered by Brownell's definitely look like the way to go for a new after market, do you know if these are the ones you see with the letter 'S' stamped on the bottom, or are those the ones from Triple-K? I had assumed that all of the aftermarkets were probably made by one company and then sold by others (and would all be about the same price), but that large a price difference makes me rethink that and the Brownell's offerings are listed as Wisner's brand.

I also wonder which size case the aftermarket 5 shots are, here's a picture showing the difference and I do not know if any of these are aftermarket or not, the shortest one has the extra set of notches higher up which I think may have been used on some of the newer models -
[Linked Image]

Gene
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Does Wisner make magazines for Savages? I use a couple of his Winchester repros and will testify as to their high quality.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Last edited by Rakkasan; 11/02/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Wisner mags have the "S" on the bottom.

The Wisner 5 rd is the short style and sets very close to the bottom metal on the rifle. It might take a file stroke or two to set the locking notch higher. I have one of the 5's and some 23AA, 19-33 and 7's it will click in and other not. I But that is the case with some of the originals, as well.

The story is that Wisner bought the original tooling to make the Winchester/Savage/Remington box magazines for .22. The difference in the three magazines is how they lock in. Winchester has the bump on the side, Savage has the angle notch and Remington has a square notch. Found this on the Wisner site..."In the fall of 2010 we purchased the detachable 22 caliber magazine tooling that Walter Lodewick was making for the Remington 511, Savage 35, and Winchester 52". And this from another site..." Walter Lodewick MAGAZINES ARE MADE ON THE ORIGINAL WINCHESTER TOOLING THAT WAS PURCHASED FROM WINCHESTER AND ARE INFACT AS ORIGINAL".

The first magazines that came out with the 23AA/19-33 was the longer of the two 5 rounders pictured. They were marked on the side and bottom with 2 holes in the base plate. I have one that is side marked but not bottom. I think the pre-war Model 4 and 7 used an unmarked longer 5 rd with 2 holes in the base plate. I'm don't know when the shorter and or one hole plate started.

If you want a magazine that is easier to get a hold of for removal buy the 10 rd.

Rick...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, thanks for the information. These were just on eBay, I wondered about the unmarked bottom on the one and the holes - ebay 201667493357

Doug, thanks for the pictures, I like that vintage scope set-up, I know the eye relief is short & the optic's probably leave a lot to be desired, but it looks right.

Last edited by GeneB; 11/02/16. Reason: added link

Gene
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Gene and everyone who helped! Magazines are enroute.

I said "OT" because there is no "SAVAGE" roll mark. Only "Stevens". According to Nick Stroebel that scope was only made until WWII. Is the rifle old enough to match that date? The only mark I see on the rifle is a circled 7 at the breech end of the barrel.

Thanks again to all,

Doug

Now if we could only get the auto makers to play this game! Let's make all the cars use the same oil filter...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice little .22. Thanks for putting up the pictures.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doug, The No. 56 (Steven's did not use 'Model' in their literature, only 'No.') first appears in Steven's Catalog No 59 on an extra page that is glued in with a price list dated April 16, 1934, it's not the version you have, it has a more slender stock with a grooved forearm. In a wholesale price list dated Feb 30, 1935 and in catalog No 61 it shows up with the heavier stock but is one of the 'Buckhorn' series and shows the tip of the forearm painted black.

The scope looks like a Wollensak and would certainly be period correct, I also see it's listed as having 2" eye relief, which is not bad for a scope on a 22.

The No 7 in a circle is some kind of inspection mark and if there were enough research done on them they could probably be used to date the guns, I have rough dates figured out for a coupe of the marks, but not this one.

Here's the No 56 as introduced, the 056 picture is wrong showing the bolt locking in an elongated ejection port, that's a picture of a single shot with a magazine drawn in -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's the Feb 20, 1935 dated picture (by then Savage had owned Steven's for about 15 years, so it's not really OT). Also this was shortly after the introduction of 22 Hi-Speed cartridges and all models (No.'s) were listed for ammunition use, a couple years earlier some of the Steven's 'models' could not handle Hi-Speed and were listed as to that, most of those were discontinued by this catalog, the No 14½ Little Scout is listed in this catalog for "REGULAR CARTRIDGES ONLY" -
[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gene,

Once again you are a fountain of knowledge. That all fits the backstory.

Thank you,

Doug

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gene, the eBay link must be too old as I can't get it to return to the original posting to see the bottoms.

I would like to learn more about what mag was used when. It's hard to know if a rifle as the original mag with it...maybe switched with another rifle or a second purchased later? Pretty sure the shorter, two notch 5rd version is a post war style used in later models.

Rick...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doug, you should thank me for my reference library, not my knowledge, I guarantee you that most of that information was not know by me until about 20 minutes before I posted it (and I might forget much of it by tomorrow).

Rick, I tried that link again and it seemed to work, you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the pictures, here is another link that is supposed to go to the original listing, I think you still will have to scroll down to get to the pictures.
Savage 23-AA, 19-33 NRA mag's

Last edited by GeneB; 11/03/16.

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The magazine bottom with one hole is side marked. I have two like that. Most side marked mags are also marked Savage on the bottom and with one hole.

The other magazine is same size (long version). I have some like that. Don't know if they are for the Model 4, 7, Stevens No.? Why was the 22AA/19-33 marked? Is there a difference?

I noticed on the Wisner repro's that the Savage has one hole, Remington has two holes and the Winchester has none. Maybe to make it easier to identify at assembly vs the letter stamping?

Rick...

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.