Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Regarding Remoil and other oils,I understand,maybe wrongly, that when using Black Powder or substitutes (777, Pyrodex) that a person should not use carbon based oils. Hence the market for Bore Butter.Something about them causing carbon build up that is hard to remove.

Anyone have the straight info on this?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The instruction manual with this rifle says to shoot it with a completely dry bore. Says to fire several primers without any load to clean residual oil out of the bore.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just home from the rifle range. I am now an expert on all things muzzle loader. Except for the things I don't know yet.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and I did pretty well. Above my expectations, really.

Started at 50 yards to get it centered on paper. Took 4 shots to get into a 1" xring and the 5th shot was within .25" of the 4th.

Packed up and moved to the rifle range where I set up at 100 yards. 1st shot was centered and 3" low. adjusted scope and put 2 touching in the xring.

Decided to fire 2 more without swabbing the bore and things de-railed a bit. One shot 1.5 inches right and the second an inch above that and a little further right.

Swabbed the bore quickly as dark was falling and shot twice more. Maybe i hurried too much, or maybe I just need to thoroughly clean but both shots were out to the right.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clean. Shoot again. Hunt.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's as clean as I can get it tonight. Looks spotless, but I can still get a little dark on a patch.

I skipped the remington primers today and stopped at a lgs and bought some winchester 209s. These were most recommended by guys I know.

There is a knurled section above the bullet seating tip on my ramrod. Scraped it across the rifling a couple of times today while seating bullets. This gonna cause problems?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I attempted to start with the TC shockwave bullet today, but could not seat the 1st one down the tube. had to pull the breech plug and pound it back out the muzzle.

I did have a lot of fun and good results with the PR bullet. And I had enough of those to last me til sundown.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tight bore.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
It's as clean as I can get it tonight. Looks spotless, but I can still get a little dark on a patch.

I skipped the remington primers today and stopped at a lgs and bought some winchester 209s. These were most recommended by guys I know.

There is a knurled section above the bullet seating tip on my ramrod. Scraped it across the rifling a couple of times today while seating bullets. This gonna cause problems?

No problems; brass v steel - steel wins.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you have or can get them barnes t-ez 250gn and 100gn by volume of BH209 has been a set it and forget it combo. The win primers have worked for me. If you are going to use saboted bullets a bullet starter is not essential but nearly so and makes things much easier. In an cva accura v2 i had much better luck shooting groups with the BH209 vs pyrodex or t7 as there is alot less crud buildup. Bore brush then hoppes then patches utill dry after 3-4 shotts worked well.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1100mag, 21, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,739 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,762
Posts18,535,725
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.