-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been out of work since may. Now I am looking at Sheridan. I would jump on it before someone else does. I am into computer and electronic repair.

GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I haven't lived there but love to visit the area and have hunted east of Buffalo for several years. If I could make a decent living there I would do it in a minute. 2 of my favorite towns.
Really nice people in my opinion as well, I always feel welcome.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It's 40 below zero this week, with 30mph winds.

You better stay in NH.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
One of the best moves I made was moving from Houston to Calgary early January 2005 arriving at 25 below. Piss on the weather unless you plan to die there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I live about 125 miles north of Sheridan. Work in the Sheridan - Buff area a few times a year.

As to wind, my take is Buffalo is a bit worse for wind. Yes winter weather can be a bit harsh, but like many places out here, weather moves in and a few days later it's gone. May be cold as heck, but clear and bright. I can live with that compared to the dreary gray that sets in for weeks in the midwest and east.

As to prices, yes if you get out of town and buy something with a little land, the prices are going to skyrocket. There are some nice towns north of Sheridan (Ranchester, Dayton etc.) that could be options for housing.

Were I you, I would get my bum out here, look around in person and take the job. Things will work out. Not often an opportunity to relocate to an area like that and have a good job available.

Feel free to PM if you have questions. I am in Montana but have some connections down in the Sheridan-Buff area including some very close friends that live in Buff that would be good resources.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob H, these folks are providing some excellent/accurate insights and what seems to be some good advice as well. I have been up there quite a bit and like the area a lot - and know a gal that grew up in Buffalo and lived there for a long time. A phone call may be possible if you are interested.

I understand the family/cultural/homeland pull - grew up in the East and know New England very well - had an extended visit last Spring. But, jumped to the SW soon after we married and for 55 years have never looked back. For us, the sense of space, freedom, opportunity and natural beauty - all great.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The most expensive houses I looked at when we were moving out of Denver 17 years ago were in the out of town (rural) areas from Buffalo to Dayton along the Big Horns. It is a great place to consider and if the job is one you are interested in.

Lots of public land hunting in the Big Horns.

It can be brutal in the winter.

Buy your license plates before you move to your house so the neighbors don't know where you came from. (This advice was given to me by a Wyoming game warden) Wyoming folks are not always friendly to out of state folks who move there.

The reason rural housing is more expensive than living in Sheridan is it is more desirable. Check prices in Ranchester and Dayton to get a perspective on how expensive it an be.

Good luck with this if you decide to do it.

Last edited by stantdm; 12/09/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stantdm
The most expensive houses I looked at when we were moving out of Denver 17 years ago were in the out of town (rural) areas from Buffalo to Dayton along the Big Horns. It is a great place to consider and if the job is one you are interested in.

Lots of public land hunting in the Big Horns.

It can be brutal in the winter.

Buy your license plates before you move to your house so the neighbors don't know where you came from. (This advice was given to me by a Wyoming game warden) Wyoming folks are not always friendly to out of state folks who move there.

The reason rural housing is more expensive than living in Sheridan is it is more desirable. Check prices in Ranchester and Dayton to get a perspective on how expensive it an be.

Good luck with this if you decide to do it.

I lived most of my life in Wyoming and this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard about Wyoming. Folks are very welcoming. Just don't buy 20 acres and pretend to a be a rancher and you'll get along fine. Buffalo area can be very expensive - up through Story and to Sheridan. Dayton is a lot less coin and it's closer to the mountains. The websites aren't going to help you out. You're going to need to get the lay of the land and go out there.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Horsepucky.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It isn't horsepucky. It was the first thing he said when he saw my Colorado plates. His point was there was a lot of resentment about out of state people coming into the area and fishing and hunting on public land. You may not like what he said, I didn't, but it is what he said.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
You "live" in NH? The answer is "go".

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They aren't going to figure out where your from? Horsepucky.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a job offer that won't evaporate in 5 years, I'd jump on it big time.

The other thing is, you might want to seriously consider living IN TOWN where the streets get plowed. Out of town, you get to plow yourself out. Pavement is your friend, gumbo is not. NH is not Wyoming. NH would be part of a county in Wyoming. The distances are epic compared to what you have lived with your whole life, and so are the winters.
The country is right there, Sheridan is next door to the boondocks, no more than five minutes.
I'd look for a solid house, fairly modern, IN TOWN. Insulation definitely a factor. Get yourself stable, give yourself a couple of years to settle into things, and only then, if you crave moving out of town, should you. Then you can buy a place at a good price from some Easterner transplant that is sick and tired of plowing out all the time.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Any State that voted 71% for Trump/Pence must have a lot of good things going on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
If you have a job offer that won't evaporate in 5 years, I'd jump on it big time.

The other thing is, you might want to seriously consider living IN TOWN where the streets get plowed. Out of town, you get to plow yourself out. Pavement is your friend, gumbo is not. NH is not Wyoming. NH would be part of a county in Wyoming. The distances are epic compared to what you have lived with your whole life, and so are the winters.
The country is right there, Sheridan is next door to the boondocks, no more than five minutes.
I'd look for a solid house, fairly modern, IN TOWN. Insulation definitely a factor. Get yourself stable, give yourself a couple of years to settle into things, and only then, if you crave moving out of town, should you. Then you can buy a place at a good price from some Easterner transplant that is sick and tired of plowing out all the time.

I am a retired Wyoming Realtor. This is sound advice. Very sound.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It isn't horsepucky. It was the first thing he said when he saw my Colorado plates. His point was there was a lot of resentment about out of state people coming into the area and fishing and hunting on public land. You may not like what he said, I didn't, but it is what he said.

I don't doubt for a minute he said that, Wyoming is no stranger to idiots.

What he said IS horsepucky. We welcome newcomers that buy into the Wyoming lifestyle and culture.

What gets us ticked off is the folks from California or wherever who come out here to get away from where they lived, then immediately start trying to change Wyoming into the place they just came from. "That's not the way we did it in California" is certain to get you the cold shoulder from the natives. "You would never get away with that in California" is one of the reasons we live in Wyoming. They bring their dopesmoking, Prius-driving, artsy-snooty lifestyle, their bratass kids with the crotch of their britches hanging down around their knees, their endless complaining about how we do things out here and wonder why we are not more welcoming to them.

The OP should grab the job and move on out, he can change his license plate at his leisure.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Be great hunting

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Aaaah Greenie. That's different. I had to pay extra to not have green license plates here in Colorado. Folks in Wyoming get a little tired of seeing green license plates at their favorite fishing and hunting spots. Nothing to do with moving to Wyoming. I put a steamboat syticler and Wyoming license plate holders on my truck and that cancels out the Colorado plates. eek

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 12/11/16.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
There used to be signs in Bars and Restaurants,that read, We Don't give a fuack how you did it back home. Buffalo and Sheridan are nice towns with nice people.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't have much info to help you make your decision other than to say I wish it was me:) Both Sheridan and Buffalo are on my short list of cities to relocate to. But I'm still 2-3 years from making the move. Have been in those 2 towns regularly for the past 9 years, everyone has been great - even though I have Oregon plates on my rig which is only slightly better than California but not much.

To me, Sheridan is about perfect, seems to have everything you could need, great antelope hunting not far away and mule deer and white tails. Whats not to like?? And I might be the only person alive that actually kind of likes the wind so its perfect:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 160user, 48 invisible), 10,115 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,350
Posts18,546,635
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.