-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear ya, I'm always the first guy to get cold feet. Even more so after a bout with frostbite that left my toes a little numb. (Managed to do that deer hunting in what was actually good weather conditions.) Tried most of the above except boot boots. The only thing that's worked for me is several pair of boots for different conditions with one pair of good winter socks. Right now it's something like 1000 gram - a lot of it anyway - when everyone else is happy with light insulation. When there's snow on the ground it's either those when I know I'll be in before the cold reaches my feet or my ice fishing boots. Ice fishing boots aren't so good for walking, bulky and loose to trap more insulating air. There's not a whole lotta walking in ice fishing.

One thing that helped more than I thought it would is don't sit with your feet on snow. Even a chunk of corrugated cardboard makes a significant difference.

Thin wicking socks are always a good idea but my feet freeze up before perspiration becomes an issue. Take your boot liners out at the end of the day so they're dry by morning.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good wool will stay warmer when damp. Your feet might feel clammy but still be warm. Extra layers of socks are warm if the boot is oversized but if it isn't the wool will compress and be cold. You need air spaces in the wool to hold the heat.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I've put cold, soaked feet in boots in boot blankets and had them come out steaming after a few hours on stand. If I'm gonna climb a tree a long way from the road, I will use 1000 gram leather Danners to avoid carrying the boot blankets. Trick there is to put high test Mitchum on the feet to keep them dry.

Only socks I wear when hiking or backpacking are Bridgedale Trekkers. Boots have to handle the rest.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You wouldn't think a guy from Texas would know this, but I get forking cold easily. The single best way I have ever found to keep my hands and feet warm is to put on a stocking hat at least 30 minutes before going out into the cold. You are basically slightly overheating your core and it will change the blood flow to the extremities to try to lower your temp.

I read this years ago about eskimos and thought if it was good enough for them then it would damn sure work for me. It works like a charm.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd hate to try to get by with one pair of hunting boots. Over the years I've seen it range from +70 deg. to -20 deg. during deer season here. What works at one extreme ain't so good at the other.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here in Kentucky it's not going to get Alaska or Canada cold, but I've hunted in weather as cold as -10. That was coyote hunting, and I wasn't sitting on a deer stand, I was able to move and keep the blood flowing. I get cold feet easy, or at least I used to. The best thing I've come up with are Muck Woody Max Elite boots, with a good sock, and In real cold weather, a silk liner sock. Never had cold feet with that combination.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There is no "vs." They work together and conditions vary too much for one fits all answer.

I like a light sock liner and a appropriate weight of quality wool/wool combo socks in most applications.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wear nylon dress socks as liners. then wool socks over moderately insulated boots. usually lacrosse neoprene boots

I really like the aeroheads

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,176
Posts18,484,670
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.