Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Recently I suffered a break in and my beloved Swaro EL 8.5 x 42's were stolen, along with some other items. I'll end up replacing them but, given the situation, I'll have a choice. 8.5 or 10x this time?

I've always liked the 8x image and know the 10x image may dance around a bit more. Other than that, it wouldn't matter either way with me, given I'd have a little bit more magnification. How do you think the model's would differ with respect to light transmission, clarity, etc? I'm noticing that the 10x are actually trending a little less expensive than the 8.5's for some reason on ebay.

Thanks for your opinions.

Damn crooks...I hate a crook.

Last edited by Godogs57; 11/16/16.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Recently I suffered a break in and my beloved Swaro EL 8.5 x 42's were stolen, along with some other items. I'll end up replacing them but, given the situation, I'll have a choice. 8.5 or 10x this time?

I've always liked the 8x image and know the 10x image may dance around a bit more. Other than that, it wouldn't matter either way with me, given I'd have a little bit more magnification. How do you think the model's would differ with respect to light transmission, clarity, etc? I'm noticing that the 10x are actually trending a little less expensive than the 8.5's for some reason on ebay.

Thanks for your opinions.

Damn crooks...I hate a crook.

YOu'll get better light transmission and a bigger FOV with the 8.5's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man that would really get the blood boiling; sorry to hear you got hit.

Maybe you can make lemonade out of this lemon, tho. If you are able, add some boot to the settlement and go with the EL Range. I've had my 8Xs for several years and have zero regrets.

Good luck and take comfort knowing that the thief will eventually get what's coming.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I personally prefer the 8.5 to the 10. I get a better view. That is only my experience though. The only complaint I have for my 8.5s is size. They are a fairly big Bino but the SV view is phenomenal.

However, were I to do it again I would think real hard about the Leica Ultravids 8x32s if low light viewing wasn't the main driver. You will get anexceptional view in a more compact and lighter package. They are more than adequate in the low light viewing department too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally, I'm not a 10x fan, and will always take the 8x.

You talking about going to the Swarovision model? If so I'd urge you not to buy them unless you've tried them first. You may find that, like quite a few of us, you're bothered by the flat field.

But if you're unaffected by it, they're lovely glass.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

You talking about going to the Swarovision model? If so I'd urge you not to buy them unless you've tried them first. You may find that, like quite a few of us, you're bothered by the flat field.

I'd definitely heed this advice. BTDT. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using 10x42s in both the SLC and EL configuration for about 25 years. For open country hunting, I would definitely choose the 10X. I am also a little more than casual birder, and the 10X is definitely better there, as well. I would urge you to try both options, side by side, before dropping the coin on new Swaros.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've tried both the 8.5x and 10x and prefer the 10x, but then I generally prefer 10x in full-sized glasses.

I also prefer the pre-Swarovision model. The flat field of SV didn't bother me, but the SV 10x42 isn't quite as bright as the pre-SV EL, due to the extra lens. A lot of people won't believe this, but one of my friends at Swarovski acknowledged it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
What am I looking for on ebay to ensure I'm getting a pre-Swarovision set of binoculars? What type of dates of manufacture will I be looking for? I suppose the newer ones will have "swarovision" in their name, no doubt. But I'd want to make sure if you know what I mean.

I'm seeing "Swarobright" and "Swarovision" on ebay...suppose Swarobright is what I'm looking for?

Last edited by Godogs57; 11/16/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
suppose Swarobright is what I'm looking for?

Yep.

Here's a tip using the serial #'s to determine year-of-manufacture:

Take the first two digits of the serial number and add 1930 to get the correct year of manufacture.

WWP53D
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks!

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've tried both the 8.5x and 10x and prefer the 10x, but then I generally prefer 10x in full-sized glasses.

I also prefer the pre-Swarovision model. The flat field of SV didn't bother me, but the SV 10x42 isn't quite as bright as the pre-SV EL, due to the extra lens. A lot of people won't believe this, but one of my friends at Swarovski acknowledged it.

Its like a 1%, the trade off though is better CA control, colors, and detail in the SV's.

The field flatteners bother about 1 in 100 people.

Don't buy them on Ebay, If you don't want the swarovision, get the SLC hd's that are on sale now. Better glass than the swarobright IMHO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WRO

Don't buy them on Ebay, If you don't want the swarovision, get the SLC hd's that are on sale now. Better glass than the swarobright IMHO

OK, now that someone has spoken about the elephant in the room, that's what I'd do (and did) as well.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the 8X are optimum to hold.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used the 10x SV EL's for several years without complaint. As one prone to motion sickness, I've never seen the "rolling ball effect" from the flat field. I have no idea whether there is anything to this or it's an Internet concoction perpetuated by the self-anointed optical experts.

Also, and this may vary from one person to another, I can't see any difference in "steady holding ability" between slightly lesser magnification vs. 10x. The ELs are heavy enough that they are quite steady.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think it would be advisable for anyone contemplating the high price for alpha's is to get to a store with a variety and try them in the low light of morning or evening.
A lot of bin's look good in the light of day - but not so much in low light.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lotech
I have no idea whether there is anything to this or it's an Internet concoction perpetuated by the self-anointed optical experts.

I'd never consider myself even close to an optics expert.

I can indeed tell you it is indeed real because I experience(d) the distortion when panning an EL/Swarovision. I didn't know what in the hell I was experiencing at the time until I did a little research on it.

A little google fu on your part might reveal a few "self-annointed" optics experts from Jena aka Zeiss explaining it. wink

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had both, the 8.5 are my favorite. I hunt mostly woods and some powerlines on our lease where maximum distance is aout 300 yards. The 10 power were too much for me, shaking much more noticable

BT

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by lotech
I have no idea whether there is anything to this or it's an Internet concoction perpetuated by the self-anointed optical experts.

I'd never consider myself even close to an optics expert.

I can indeed tell you it is indeed real because I experience(d) the distortion when panning an EL/Swarovision. I didn't know what in the hell I was experiencing at the time until I did a little research on it.

A little google fu on your part might reveal a few "self-annointed" optics experts from Jena aka Zeiss explaining it. wink

Funny thing is, Zeiss put it in their Victory SF's.

I'd highly suggest trying for yourself. Interestingly enough, its more prevalent in the smaller objective glass. 8x32's are the most noticeable, I know a guy who can't handle even the 42's who lives behind his 12x50's.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I would chose the 8x32 EL!

HUGE field of view!

I do belive its the best birding binocular out there ( right next to my Nikon 8x30 ), and would also work perfectly well in a hunting situation!

I ALWAYS prefer larger fields of views, compared to any other metric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,102
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.