Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a SS 3006 that I found languishing on a hardware store rack and got a smoking deal. Apparently the savages sold better for some reason...

I like it a lot and it shoots very well for me and it has become my go-to gun if weather looks poor. Its slated to be one of 3 deer guns I'll keep when I build my retirement house and sell the rest. The rifle compliments my old ruger 77 tang safety 3006 so I can pick either depending on the rain forecast. Unless the savage 99 is out. ;-)

The only issues I have:
1. Magazine loading - Make sure you have the bolt open and confirm you get front and back "click" when you put the magazine in. I load the magazine one round short just to minimize catch latch force if it didnt fully seat. Never lost a magazine in the woods, but had one drop out on the shooting bench. Not totally sure the sand bags or something caught the latch while recoiling.
2. The stock lacks wood soul. I like the shape, but I admit I like the wood feel and looks better. But I bought it for rainy day duty.

Tell us if you decide to get one. I don't regret my purchase.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
HR IC

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have heard of Remington triggers going off when you close the bolt, mostly after the owner had been "adjusting" his trigger.....Ha!.....very dangerous though........Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned alnost every popular bolt action brand/model over the years and most have good and bad points, im not a big fan of the X-Bolt trigger (a little to complicated for me) and the bolt handle is not My favorite either....I guess at the moment My favorite rifles are the Tikka T3x line, even though im not crazy about the new modular stock.........Hb

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow, sorry folks! I had changed a few things in my post and some how deleated the part about the Remington 700 trigger failing. I apologize for that, I can see how that would be very confusing!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have heard of Remington triggers going off when you close the bolt, mostly after the owner had been "adjusting" his trigger.....Ha!.....very dangerous though........Hb

My trigger was never modified by me. It went off dry fire as I released the safety.
The design is suspect enough after it showed up on 20/20 type news shows.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I see a lot of love for Tikka which is the other rifle I'm considering, I just can get over the polymer magazine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a Tikka CTR, no polymer mag, and an awesome shooting rifle. Them Socko people know how to make some barrels

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I see a lot of love for Tikka which is the other rifle I'm considering, I just can get over the polymer magazine

X bolt has a polymer magazine as well, so don't let that be a factor. I personally love the x bolt, but I know I'm in the minority on this forum.
I've shot or seen shot at least 10 x-bolts and every one has been sub moa with very little fuss.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111

Don't worry about the magazines and get a T3 while they are on close out. I know Eurooptic has some at great prices right now and I would think Whittakers would too.

I use to feel the same way about the Plastic mags but 3 Sako's later I am beginning to like the Tikka a lot more. The Tikka has the same barrel as a Sako and potentially a stiffer receiver that has better scope mounting options. Plus it's cheaper. There are also a ton of after market stocks and metal bolt shrouds and such for it.

BUY THE TIKKA!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For all I know, they might be the most wonderfullest rifles in the whole wide world, but I simply don't like how they look. I think the same metro-sexuals that created the Cynergy look designed the X-Bolts as well. I find the big hunk of metal around the opening for the detachable magazine (another "feature" I detest on hunting rifles) especially oogly.

That's just personal preference of course and I'm sure there's somebody that thinks they're just beautiful.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by Travis13
I literally vomit a little every time I see a Browning logo, which is about every 10min

Under armor logo for me...

Yes! ditto on the UA bullcrap.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I inherited one from my Dad. Maple stock. Never even put the bolt in. Whats up with all the screws needed for scope mounts?

D
D
My family has 3 x-bolt stainless rifles. Wooden and synthetic stocks. 7mm, .308, and 30-06. All are tack drivers and have smooth actions. I actually sort of like the plastic magazine boxes. The freezer if full of deer from all 3 guns this year. I have Remingtons and Sakos also but I have no problems with the Browning X-bolts. I think you'll be happy with one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I must admit, the Hells Canyon Speed X-Bolt looks like a heckuva rifle

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Like the A-Bolt, the X-Bolt has the most ridiculously over-complicated trigger of any rifle I can think of. Too many little bits and pieces. Enclosed triggers in general are bad enough, but this is ridiculous. Absolutely not something I'd want on a hunting rifle:

[Linked Image]
BEAT ME TO IT...

I just had one of those pos rifles in the shop last week.. It was brand-new, but that trigger was simply NOT SAFE and nothing I could do about it.. I got it working, mostly...but specifically informed the owner that he should NOT use it in the cold and to send it in to Browning for a new trigger - STAT...

Browning rifles are, for the most part, OK - but that company can screw up a trigger like NO OTHER...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
I inherited one from my Dad. Maple stock. Never even put the bolt in. Whats up with all the screws needed for scope mounts?

The receiver is thinner then most, there is not enough meat for just 4 screws to hold . I had an Xbolt and the receiver bridge is thin.

The magazine works very well, they are very very well finished and made. The trigger is well complicated but it worked for me. In rugged conditions with a lot of snow and ice would not be my first choice for sure.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Know a fella that got rid of one of the synthetic stocked ones because sitting out in the heat left the forearm touching the barrel. Putting it inside to cool off returned it to free floating. Might not be an issue for most, but it gets right hot where he hunts.

If I see a stainless/laminate 270 WSM in LH, I'll have to have it. Rather have an A-Bolt, though. Never had a Browning that wouldn't print good groups.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just back from breaking mine in on the range. To refresh everyone, it is a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor. With Hornady ELDX Factory ammo it was about a 1 to 1.5 MOA shooter. Nice and light and very little recoil although there is a tad of muzzle jump. Everything ran the way it was supposed to with no failures. Not a bad hunting rifle at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have yet to understand why Browning felt the need for 4 screws to secure each ring base on the X-Bolt.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I have yet to understand why Browning felt the need for 4 screws to secure each ring base on the X-Bolt.

Not sure if you have seen one up close but the receiver is very very thin. They probably need the extra threads to keep the bases on .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.