Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You're welcome.

Will be out at first light this morning getting the rifle zeroed Elk, I don't know why, and some may call me retarded, but the Weaver ring and base set up on this rifle is growing on me, it just looks right in this case.

The front base is extended giving plenty of room to set the scope back for maximum eye box visibility without having to crawl the stock, and the medium height rings give just enough clearance that the bolt doesn't drag on the side of the scope.

The first thing I used to do when I bought a rifle with anything Weaver on it was to find someone to give it too, or throw it in the trash, glad I'm calming down a little in my older age and giving other designs a chance, oh, one other bonus I've noticed, it would take a complete idiot to crush or leave ring marks on a scope tube with these Weaver rings. grin

Trump Won!
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Weaver rings and bases work,they may not be pretty,but by dog they work. My only beef with them is the rings,when you tighten the screws the scope will move just a wee little bit.

I do all my shootin' in the mornings before the winds pick up.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, yes they do, cant em a bit counter clockwise first, got mine square on the first try this time. grin

Agreed on the early part of the day, works that way to here most of the time, got the FWT striking center and 2"s high at 100, it's ready.

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunner500: I have used those "old style" 100 grain Nosler Partitions on Deer and Antelope in the past and they worked rather well.
IF... that Featherweight in 243 is "really nice" like you mentioned then get this urge to Hunt with it out of your system ASAP and find an old Remington 700 in 243 to use up those old Noslers in.
I have three Featherweights in caliber 243 Winchester (including one "Gopher Special") and in my opinion they are just way to valuable to take afield and Hunt with.
But to each his own and I hope your 243 shoots well for you and you don't ding it up much while sighting it in and Hunting with it.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Take it hunting,that's what the rifle was/is made for. Dings,scratches just add character to it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
VarmintGuy, thanks for the tips, this old FWT is quite nice, it has been well cared for over the years, but sorry, I have no safe queens buddy, they ALL get hunted here, I've even taken my Supergrade Hornet out many many times.

I can't build a history with a weapon standing my life away in a dang safe, I may be one of the few people you meet that doesn't give a flying squirrels nutsack about money. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Take it hunting,that's what the rifle was/is made for. Dings,scratches just add character to it.

Damn right Elk, it's gonna be in the woods starting dark thirty Sat morning. cool

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Good luck Gunner. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Elk, I shot it again this morning, first shot from a fouled cold barrel, dead center 2"s high at 100, that should work, fired at a 200 yard gong next, best I could tell bullet was still about 1" high and center. wink

Hope you're going to get to hunt something this weekend too.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nope,Monday is when my hunt starts.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
GREAT, you've got the weekend to check zeros and get ready.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nope,my flight takes off tomorrow and will be in the air for quite a while.....heading to South Africa.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
KICKASS!!!!!.........................oh, and you suck! laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,I know. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
VarmintGuy, thanks for the tips, this old FWT is quite nice, it has been well cared for over the years, but sorry, I have no safe queens buddy, they ALL get hunted here, I've even taken my Supergrade Hornet out many many times.

I can't build a history with a weapon standing my life away in a dang safe, I may be one of the few people you meet that doesn't give a flying squirrels nutsack about money. grin

"Flying squirrels nutsack". That has a nice ring to it... laugh Reminds me of a Gene Tracy joke... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 1955 .243 FWT has been relegated to a corner of my safe. Still don't know why I got it and it will be the first to get sold.

When I do I expect to offer it to this august forum first

Not looking for offers at this time

It's the one in the middle of this:
[Linked Image]

and the foreground of this:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 11/17/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup,I know. grin

Is this the Lion hunt, what else you going after Elk?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

"Flying squirrels nutsack". That has a nice ring to it... laugh Reminds me of a Gene Tracy joke... laugh

OOPSblush laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very nice rifles Bushmaster1313, you are obviously a man with much more control than I, mine go BOOM asap. smile

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,I know. grin

Is this the Lion hunt, what else you going after Elk?
Yup,also going after blesbok and blue wildebeest. May get some shootin' on some culls and a jackal or two.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 42 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.