Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Smoked oysters.

Great flavor, and no objectionable textures.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mother made it when I was growing up. I liked it then. Haven't had it in years, but I'd probably still like it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, like grandma made it X3.

Dad's mother made cornbread stuffing with some pecan chips thrown in for a little extra flavor, I prefer cornbread stuffing/dressing.

Mom's mother made it with with hunks of bread, bits of cornbread, oysters, mushrooms and celery chunks big enough to choke a mule, my least favorite and it had nothing to do with the oysters which I like, maybe it was the mushrooms that taste like dirt.

Mother-out-law, green card holder from Mexico, I believe used cornbread and turkey juice and it may have been processed in a blender based on the consistency, but turkey fat and cornbread tastes good n it's own anyway.

I don't know how oysters found the way into the stuffing recipe on my Mom's side, great grandparents lived in KS, grandparents lived a brief spell in Hawaii but mostly KS and West TX.

Dave

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Oyster stuffing is a holiday staple in Biloxi where I lived for 22 years .
It gives stuffing a good taste to me .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't like 'em. STRONGLY prefer cornbread stuffing.

I tried them ONE time, made me sick as a dog, but then, I don't think seafood, especially shelled, is compatible with my Midwest farm guts.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't believe any of you who say it is good, you will have to provide recipes! laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I don't like 'em. STRONGLY prefer cornbread stuffing.

I tried them ONE time, made me sick as a dog, but then, I don't think seafood, especially shelled, is compatible with my Midwest farm guts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ate a bad oyster at cookout once -I didn't leave the peoples house until the next day I was so sick . smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
So as not to hijack another thread, what's the consensus on Oyster stuffing.

Never had it myself. Cooks in my family are not experimenters by choice, it's "what Gma always cooked" or nothing. Therefore the Gold standard around here has always been Sage stuffing, as clams are mighty scarce.

I however am much more adventurous and willing to let my hair down as they say, as noted by the political bumper-sticker on my vehicle this election season. People in town were a talkin...

First, a couple of questions about Oyster stuffing

1) Is it served with other items or is it a stand alone dish, like a casserole. The ingredient list seems like this could be a stand alone meal by itself.

2) What's the point of the Oysters, is it to give the dish some saltiness, or is it to truly give the stuffing a seafood taste?

3) If one were to give Oyster dressing a shot, does [b][color:#3333FF]Paula Deen know[/color][/b] what's up?

I'm afraid I will have to try it on my own, as showing up for Thanksgiving with an "Alternate" stuffing would be akin to showing up for church wearing the Scarlet letter. I'd be castigated to the children's table for sure...

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Is that A for Grade A Prime?

I make it as dressing. Not stuffing.

Make the dressing and put a layer in the crockpot
Layer of oysters
Dressing
Oysters
You understand
Then the liquor over the top.
Couple of hours later it's ready.

My mom and I are the only ones that will eat it. Thankfully

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Cornbread stuffing with country sausage here.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

My mom and I are the only ones that will eat it. Thankfully

I think we may be back to 'VILE'

....I mean if only two people out of a 'Thanksgiving Gathering' will touch the stuff....

wink

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BarryC
I don't believe any of you who say it is good, you will have to provide recipes! laugh

I wish I had the recipe. My mom passed a couple years ago and as most from her generation, didn't follow a recipe. Everything was in her head.

G23

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmmmm...Oysters should be the main holiday appetizer!! On the half shell.

With lots of horseradish, lemons and ice cold beer!! grin

I suggest at least a bushel!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No can help. I do not eat oysters.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just the title made my mouth start watering. Have not had it for years but I do like it a lot.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My family always has Oyster dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. The dressing is made from dried white bread that has been left out the night before with celery onions sage and oysters. The turkey or duck drippings are to moisten it and then it is baked for a while. I have never made it but love to eat it covered with turkey or duck gravy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
What's wrong with Possum stuffing?

Is that what you move up to after gerbils? wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC

I spent the first 2/3 of my life in New Orleans, and oyster dressing was a staple and a delicacy. I asked my wife for a recipe, and she knocked this off the top of her head.

1 lb. Jimmy Dean sausage browned
2 carrots, 2 onions and 5 stalks of celery, all chopped and sautéed in olive oil and butter
1 baked (i.e. already cooked per recipe) cornbread crumpled up (Marie Callender or box mix works)
1/2 cup of pecans chopped fine
1 bag of Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing (for the herbs mostly)
Chicken broth in amount specified in herb stuffing mix for liquid (she thinks 2 cups)
2 eggs
2 containers of shucked oysters, rinsed and drained
Bake in greased casserole dish on 350 degrees for 45 minutes

I am “by the book” when it comes to recipes, but she adjusts as she cooks. So, understand that if you try it at home and adjust as necessary. Her dressing is always awesome. But, the “ersters” we get in Wyoming are not of the best quality. We didn’t move here for the food.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 11/21/16. Reason: add parenthetical re cornbread and reference to chopping carrots etc.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cheyenne for the win!

We are fortunate to have some of the best oysters on the planet and oyster dressing around the holidays is more common than turkey and ham.

Our "ham" is usually a hind quarter or tenderloins stuffed with crabmeat on the BGE.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hi there. I enjoy this forum for many reasons but never have much to add until now.

The critters you are talking about are called American or eastern oysters and naturally occur from Malpeque, Canada south to Florida and a bit west of there. Because of the early American development that took place around the mid Atlantic region which had a tremendous abundance of oysters they were given the scientific name "Crassostrea virginica". Starting with the early colonial development oysters were a staple in the coastal American's diet and because of their ability to survive for months out of water they went with the settlers as the west areas opened to settlement. Up until the 1950s oysters were pretty much a staple throughout the eastern states and western States. A oyster disease ravaged the eastern US oyster populations in the early 1950s and since then generations of people have gone without them in large quantities and are unfamiliar with them as a common food item.

Research starting in the 1950s and continuing today has resurrected the east coast oyster population but not to its early harvested level.

The research into bringing back the eastern oyster led to developing techniques in the culturing of oysters as a farmed product called aquaculture, similar in nature to catfish, salmon, clam and shrimp farming but specific to each species.

Farm raised oysters, "aquaculture" are now a multi million $ a year business grown here in Maine's cold clear waters and are shipped world wide along with its other wild caught marine species.

Who is this guy you might ask? I have spent a good portion of my professional life helping to develop the infrastructure that supported the development of Maine's commercial oyster aquaculture industry and along with a partner operate a oyster farm.

To simplify all this it can be said that we no longer use oysters the way they used to be because most were wiped out from disease leaving several generations of people without easy access to them and they have forgotten how to use them and are unfamiliar with their taste. Similar to creamed salted cod, mashed potatos, pork scraps and dandelion greens here in Maine.

In closing I would like to address the notion that oysters are a great aphrodisiac. I can attest that it is not true because just last week I had a dozen of them with dinner and only six worked.

Regards,

samchap

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
love oyster dressing, as stated it has a taste all to itself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 43 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,557
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.