Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SKane
I'd plan on using a rail.

I had this one on my 280 for a spell but I got lucky in the eye relief dept with the mounts/rings shown.

[Linked Image]

That's kind of what I was thinking. Problem is a rail and rings add even more weight over the standard Talley Lightweights so I start backing away and looking the other direction for something lighter.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're not going to find a rail for the Forbes.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep

I've got 3 different Forbes and NULA's with rails on them. Pick your model and 0 or 20 MOA:

http://swfa.com/Ultra-Light-Arms-C4489.aspx

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 11/22/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You walking a lot or sitting a lot? If mostly sitting makes no difference and if walking a lot a few extra ounces on a Forbes makes almost no difference. If lugging heavy loads around the mountains, then I'd suggest light.

Read the thread rather quickly, but can't recall any being concerned with how the rifle will be hunted.

Heavy scope on LW .270W isn't going to rip it out of the rings. Couple ounces won't make a difference if they give you some extra confidence. .

Last edited by battue; 11/22/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Need some suggestions guys. I want this to be a long range (to me) rifle,which would be about 500 yards max. I've only killed one deer at 400 yards in my life,the only one I ever shot at also. What I'm saying is that most shots will be closer but I want that longer range capability.

A reticle with thick outer portions that extends nearly to the center but has a fine inner portion would be perfect.Why the scope industry doesn't produce one I can't understand.

R H, sounds like I'm in the same boat as you regarding range.

90% of my shots are in the 100-300 yard range but there is always the possibility for a 400-500 yard shot.

That said I've used 6x dots for probably the last 10 years and haven't had any problems. Semi-crude but very effective.

Just a FWIW but here is a pic of the Tract BDC. Yes it is a little busy but honestly I got used to it pretty quick.

Unless you're purposefully aiming with the training wheels you kinda forget they are even there. Zero your 270 at 210-220 yards and use the next dot at 300, 400, 500, etc..

[Linked Image]

Just another option if you decide not to spin turrets.

Scott, what reticle do you have in that Nightforce?

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/22/16.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's wrong with a Leupold 2.5-8 or 3.5-10x40 with a CDS? You could always just get an moa dial with a zero stop if you don't want a load-specific dial. Great scope for the hunter, and they don't weigh much relative to a lot of the uber-tactical scopes being discussed here. Right at home on a LW rifle IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sam, how does that reticle co.pare to a Leupold B&C?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben, IMHO the hash/dots are less distracting in the BDC compared to the B&C.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
What's wrong with a Leupold 2.5-8 or 3.5-10x40 with a CDS? You could always just get an moa dial with a zero stop if you don't want a load-specific dial. Great scope for the hunter, and they don't weigh much relative to a lot of the uber-tactical scopes being discussed here. Right at home on a LW rifle IMO.

Really Brad? Really?? You know that normal schit never works. I'm still thinking that "Forbes 270" is actually a typo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Ben, IMHO the hash/dots are less distracting in the BDC compared to the B&C.

I hear ya, how does it look in low light. For me the B&C can get hard to see near dark. Usually it's dark enough that I don't feel comfortable taking a farther shot anyway. But that reticle seems like it wouldn't last quite as long near the end of the day.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben, the center duplex is easy to see up and until it's too dark to be shooting.

I'd say <200 yards would be easy under a full moon....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right on

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Need some suggestions guys. I want this to be a long range (to me) rifle,which would be about 500 yards max. I've only killed one deer at 400 yards in my life,the only one I ever shot at also. What I'm saying is that most shots will be closer but I want that longer range capability.

A reticle with thick outer portions that extends nearly to the center but has a fine inner portion would be perfect.Why the scope industry doesn't produce one I can't understand.

R H, sounds like I'm in the same boat as you regarding range.

90% of my shots are in the 100-300 yard range but there is always the possibility for a 400-500 yard shot.

That said I've used 6x dots for probably the last 10 years and haven't had any problems. Semi-crude but very effective.

Just a FWIW but here is a pic of the Tract BDC. Yes it is a little busy but honestly I got used to it pretty quick.

Unless you're purposefully aiming with the training wheels you kinda forget they are even there. Zero your 270 at 210-220 yards and use the next dot at 300, 400, 500, etc..

[Linked Image]

Thanks Sam,I may have to look into one of those. How does the glass compare to other scopes you have used?

I have one pet peeve about scopes. I like for the image to go all the way to the edge of the ocular tube without a black ring at the edge. I use both kinds of scopes but I much prefer for the image to extent right to the aluminum. How does that Tract look in that respect?

I do like the reticle. An even thicker outer would be great. I wish a company would make one that extends close enough to bracket an animal's chest at 200 yards on full power at dark but still have a fine center for close work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore

Really Brad? Really?? You know that normal schit never works. I'm still thinking that "Forbes 270" is actually a typo.

What was I thinking laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

What was I thinking laugh

I may wind up with the Leupold but there's a few things I don't like about it. IMHO it has weight in it's favor but that's about it compared to some others I'm considering.

I like light rifles but I don't pack 6 days into the mountains so weight isn't necessarily #1 in consideration, though I don't intend to saddle my Forbes 270 with a 25 ounce scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are any of the new Leupolds worth looking at? VX6?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Are any of the new Leupolds worth looking at? VX6?

The VX6 2-12 is in the running. I do wish it had an adjustable objective or parallax adjustment ring at the rear of the tube. Some reports of early failures also haven't inspired complete confidence for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Sam,
I don't find that one overly busy - it helps there aren't continual lines beneath the main duplex. I could get used to that in a hurry.

The NF above is the IHR reticle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by bellydeep

I've got 3 different Forbes and NULA's with rails on them. Pick your model and 0 or 20 MOA:

http://swfa.com/Ultra-Light-Arms-C4489.aspx

Oh man! You made my day. I called Melvin over a year ago asking if there was any other option than Talley LW's. He said they were the only bases/mounts available.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Why bother getting a lightweight rifle then? It's pretty funny hearing a moron tell us that a heavy weight scope should be used on a rifle that is primarily chosen for its handling characteristics.

Truth.

Regardless of what many may think, Leupold is still alive & reasonably well.

A 4x, 6x, 2-7x, 2.5-8x are all more than sufficient for a hunting 270 at sane ranges, & balance the rifle well.

MM

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1badf350, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 25aught6, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,941
Posts18,519,070
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.