Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an 84L MT in 270 Winchester and it has never really cycled rounds as well as I'd like.

The original magazine spring was too weak and the bolt would skip over cartridges. It also fed fairly janky, just wasn't very smooth.

A year ago(?) I experimented and replaced the factory spring with one designed for a M700 BDL. That made a good improvement and I actually thought the rifle was 'fixed' but it still wasn't 100% reliable.

Long story short I fired 4 shots at a buck this fall and the POS skipped over the last round leaving me with .....click.

I was quite annoyed.

No local gunsmith here in town so I tried another spring.

Super fancy($28...), 10% stronger, made for a Mauser 98.

Ordered from Brownells.

Got it in the mail yesterday and installed it this morning.

Had to trim off roughly 1/8" of one end to get it short enough to fit under the follower. Also flattened out the same end as I was worried that it might break the cheapo plastic follower s 'slide clips'.
(the notched grooves under the follower)

Easy though, not a big deal.

MAJOR improvement, plenty of push and the rifle actually cycles rounds noticeably smoother than before. The rifle is pretty much now perfect IMHO.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good to know! Thanks SamO!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
GREAT info, I have this issue occasionally, YES, it's very annoying indeed, but mine is an 8400 in '06.

What the part number on brownells part # on the "super fancy" spring?
Is it 080-665-098WB?

I want mine to feed like my pre-64 model 70 in 270W i.e. super smooth and very reliable.

Any consideration to changing the follower?

Tks

Last edited by claybreaker; 11/27/16.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys know as well as I that a hunting rifle better work when you need it...

Clay, the number on the bag is 080-665-098, you should be gtg.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...s/98-mauser-magazine-spring-prod727.aspx

I would like to change the follower but am not aware of any metal versions.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/27/16.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wonder if there's anything like this X/P spring available that'll fit the short actions?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have an 84L MT in 270 Winchester and it has never really cycled rounds as well as I'd like.

The original magazine spring was too weak and the bolt would skip over cartridges. It also fed fairly janky, just wasn't very smooth.

A year ago(?) I experimented and replaced the factory spring with one designed for a M700 BDL. That made a good improvement and I actually thought the rifle was 'fixed' but it still wasn't 100% reliable.

Long story short I fired 4 shots at a buck this fall and the POS skipped over the last round leaving me with .....click.

I was quite annoyed.

Ordered from Brownells.

Had to trim off roughly 1/8" of one end to get it short enough to fit under the follower. Also flattened out the same end as I was worried that it might break the cheapo plastic follower s 'slide clips'.

MAJOR improvement, plenty of push and the rifle actually cycles rounds noticeably smoother than before. The rifle is pretty much now perfect IMHO.

This is the kind of TLC that rifles like the pre 64 M70 and some others from another generation,received as a matter of course. They did not leave the factory until they worked the way they were supposed to.

The Classic never received this TLC,one reason I laugh when someone tries to tell me the Classic was "better" than the pre 64...it is like hell. Lots of rifles could benefit from what Sam did but perfect function is not a priority among many shooters today.

Im not surprised at what Sam had to do to make the rifle function like it should. Nice work!

But you have to ask.....why does he have to go through this??? frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I was quite annoyed.

Ordered from Brownells.

I hope it's perfect for you now. Hopefully it doesn't give out on you again next year when you need it most or least expect it....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Wonder if there's anything like this X/P spring available that'll fit the short actions?

That I do not know.

Luckily my 243 MT has zero issues, it feeds great.

Bob/BSA, I'm gonna keep fooling around with it some more just to make sure it's trustworthy but so far so good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam, good fix.

Interesting, I've had four 84L's and never had this issue. Wonder if there was a batch of bad springs?

Also, did you 600 Emery the underside of the feed rails?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

That I do not know.

Luckily my 243 MT has zero issues, it feeds great.

Bob/BSA, I'm gonna keep fooling around with it some more just to make sure it's trustworthy but so far so good.

I've not had any problems with my 7-08 either,including once where I fired all my rounds and had to reload under pressure. Fired 7 rounds that morning resulting in meat on the ground. Actually,I did not miss,though I thought I had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam,

The feed lips on your magazine need to be tweaked a little. You can adjust the ride height of the base of your rounds very easily. Make up some dummies and play around with it until it's 100%. Will take you less than 30 min.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, I did not polish the rails. And there very well could have been a bad batch of springs because my original spring was really weak.

What cartridges in your 84L's?
(I know you have a 270...)

R H, my first shot was probably a killer but at the time I had no idea and sure wasn't gonna wait and see!

Higbean, thanks for the tip. I am very much a novice when it comes to 'fine tuning' a rifle, just learning as I go.

I was amazed at how much difference the spring made in actual smoothness. Nice surprise for sure.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/28/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Curious how a 700ADL spring might have worked?

Certainly cheaper to try, though the extra power spring price is fine if it works!

Seems like I rember Big Stick mentioning using a SA 700ADL spring (and follower) in some of his 84m's , but I may be mistaken.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now if they would just use a long "enough" 1/4" lug screw

The last 2 Montana's I've had had exactly 1 full turn of thread engagement

Remongton screw from Brownells fixed both of them....Kimber customer service did not

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the information. I have a 84L 270 Montana also and so far it feeds fine. I have smoothed the rails. I have one of those Mauser springs from Brownells that I bought several years ago for a Mauser. It is quite strong and made the Mausers I tried it in feed worse. Now I have a reason to keep it on hand!

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
David, I initially ordered 2-3 cheap springs, BDL, ADL(?), and one for a Ruger.

The BDL worked the best but I'd have to dig through the 'parts bag' to see if I tried an ADL.

Ted, same deal here. There is also a bag of front action screws in the 'parts bag'.....grin

The one and only time I contacted Kimber was a phone call to Kalispell, MT(?).

Really nice lady, the part(a replacement mag spring for an 84L..........) was out of stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand Sam. If it's still giving you problems, send it to me with a few hundred rounds and a couple of dummies, and I'll get her squared away.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wish more dummies were headed TOWARDS CA. LOL

The Kimber Manufacturing Inc. CS rep I spoke to said he was very glad for the opportunity to live in Kalispell rather than Yonkers or the "multitude of other crappy places!"

Give'm hell if stuff ain't right.

Customer Service
Toll-Free: (888) 243-4522
International Calls: (406) 758-2222
Hours: M–F, 9:30 a.m.– 6 p.m. Eastern

Sales & Service
Kimber Mfg. Inc.
30 Lower Valley Road
Kalispell, MT 59901
(888) 243-4522 ext 4381

Corporate Office
Kimber Mfg. Inc.
555 Taxter Road, Suite 235
Elmsford, NY 10523

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had an 84M Montana which had a problem picking up rounds off the left rail - bolt slid over the top of the round in a manner which I believe is similar to what the OP is describing. The problem was not a weak spring but the fact that the bottom of the ADL magazine cutout was smooth, allowing the bottom of the magazine spring to slide forward. This resulted in a change in the angle of the follower and allowed the over-ride. The creation of a dam which fixed the bottom of the magazine spring in the right place fixed the issue at the expense of a dab of steel bed. This simple fix has also worked on a Rem 700 with the same problem.

Might not be the problem here but it might be worth looking at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,960
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.