Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
If I was alive in 1966 I wouldn't hunt with an AR either.

Travis

Semi-autos from Rem, Rug, and Win were pretty common in the New England deer woods back in the late 1960's. A lot of WW2 and Korea vets were fans of the firepower that their Garands put out on the battlefield and that experience translated to many of them being Remington 740/742 users in the deer woods.

When I started deer hunting, my Father wanted to start me off right, so he outfitted me with a Remington 660 in 6mm to use when hunting fields and the Ruger 44 International to use when still-hunting. I never saw a tree stand until the early 1980's, it was all standing, driving, or still-hunting back then.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one of the new-model ones they came out with about 15 years ago. They have a rotating bolt similar to a Garand or M14.

It was reasonably accurate. It did have reliability issues. Ruger sent me a couple new mags to try; didn't help.

The ejecting brass would beat up your scope, too.

Other than that it was cool. It handled like a big 10/22.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In 1972 or 73 at the Howard Johnson's Hotel in New Orleans, a black guy, armed with a Ruger 44 carbine killed several police officers, a fireman or two and several civilians. A National Guard (I think) chopper was called in after a day or two standoff. They shot the hell out of the roof of the Hyatt, and killed the shooter. We weren't as "touchy - feely" back then! ! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/27/16.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someday maybe I will buy another 44mag carbine. I am thinking the 458socom would be fun but not as lite and fun as a 44 mag.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kid0917
I had one many years ago, it was a fun gun. would drive a tack.... if the round happened to land on one.

Same experience here, too but did kill an 8pt crossing a pipeline with it at a measured 178 yds. No skill involved in that one.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

First deer I ever killed was with a .44 mag Ruger carbine.

Don't know if there was any truth to it but I've heard some claim that when the .44 Ruger carbine first came out factory .44 magnum ammo sold at that time was loaded for pistols which caused some to have problems.

Back when the state of Indiana started allowing rifles chambered in certain centerfire handgun calibers for deer hunting the .44 mag Ruger carbines as well as any rifle chambered in .44 magnum soon was in big demand and sold quick.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Something tells me that the OP isn't very interested in his own topic... whistle

He's a one shot wonder.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had a Ruger .44 mag carbine since 1976 have had a lot of fun with it and taken a lot of game with it. gave it away yesterday to a friend, he had one that belonged to his grand father, who was a big deer hunter in N.C. his was stolen last summer. Rio7

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This thread would seem to indicate that Ruger .44 mag carbines get stolen a lot.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had one in the 60's killed a few deer with it in WV but traded it for a SSA 45-LC and some cash.Best move I ever made.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
my bil has a early tube-fed .44 carbines. his feeds well enough.

i understand the rotary mag fed machines do work a bit better, but do deflect the spent brass off the scope a lot.

he got a tang safety ruger in .270 and never looked back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Todd County Kentucky in 1964, a buck with the nickname of "Big Red" was killed in that county's first deer season in modern times. Big Red had an inside spread of 30 and 2/8 inches, an outside spread of over 36, and field dressed at 260 pounds. Years later I was fortunate to hunt on the farm where the deer was taken, and was told the story by the landowner. In addition, while on a hunt at Kentucky's Land Between the Lakes, I met and talked with a hunter who was a friend of the man who killed Big Red. Big Red was killed with a Ruger 44 carbine, and the hunter fired 14 shots, with a good number of those being hits. He saved his last shell, and finished the deer off with his knife. The first story appeared in Outdoor Life magazine, and there was no mention of how many shots were fired, or how many times the deer was hit, only that the rifle used was a Ruger 44 carbine. More than one person has told me that Ruger asked the hunter not to publish how many times he shot, and I even heard that they paid him not to.....a claim to which I have absolutely no proof. In addition to the Outdoor Life story, there is also a story in an old North American Whitetail publication, titled "Legendary Whitetails". I have no dog in this hunt, but I can tell you that because of this story, you practically never see a 44 Magnum cartridge or the Ruger carbine that used it in use in this part of the country. I have heard more than one local say that they would never use that combination because of the Big Red story.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't blame the gun blame the shooter !! Rio7

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JamesJr
In Todd County Kentucky in 1964, a buck with the nickname of "Big Red" was killed in that county's first deer season in modern times. Big Red had an inside spread of 30 and 2/8 inches, an outside spread of over 36, and field dressed at 260 pounds. Years later I was fortunate to hunt on the farm where the deer was taken, and was told the story by the landowner. In addition, while on a hunt at Kentucky's Land Between the Lakes, I met and talked with a hunter who was a friend of the man who killed Big Red. Big Red was killed with a Ruger 44 carbine, and the hunter fired 14 shots, with a good number of those being hits. He saved his last shell, and finished the deer off with his knife. The first story appeared in Outdoor Life magazine, and there was no mention of how many shots were fired, or how many times the deer was hit, only that the rifle used was a Ruger 44 carbine. More than one person has told me that Ruger asked the hunter not to publish how many times he shot, and I even heard that they paid him not to.....a claim to which I have absolutely no proof. In addition to the Outdoor Life story, there is also a story in an old North American Whitetail publication, titled "Legendary Whitetails". I have no dog in this hunt, but I can tell you that because of this story, you practically never see a 44 Magnum cartridge or the Ruger carbine that used it in use in this part of the country. I have heard more than one local say that they would never use that combination because of the Big Red story.

Are you trying to say:

A.) The hunter couldn't shoot?
B.) The .44 mag is an ineffective whitetail cartridge?
C.) The Ruger Carbines are horribly inaccurate?
D.) Everybody in Todd County has a forehead the size of a Volkswagen?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

Are you trying to say:

A.) The hunter couldn't shoot?
B.) The .44 mag is an ineffective whitetail cartridge?
C.) The Ruger Carbines are horribly inaccurate?
D.) Everybody in Todd County has a forehead the size of a Volkswagen?

Clark

I'll pick D.

I do know if you put 10 through one back to back you can't touch the barrel for a while.

Last edited by rlott; 11/28/16.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I didn't even know they held 10 rounds!

I want a 96 more than anything. I kick myself for not buying them when they were being produced. All of them.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not that I'm calling anyone a liar, but that thing held 4 cartridges right? Who carries around 10 extra 44mag cartridges in their pockets?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Not that I'm calling anyone a liar, but that thing held 4 cartridges right? Who carries around 10 extra 44mag cartridges in their pockets?

I wasn't the one that wrote the story in North American Whitetail, the writer interviewed the man who killed the deer, and they were his words. Someone who saw the deer after it was killed said it was full of holes, mostly as result of bad shooting, I suppose.

Now, for the other people who commented on this.....one of you I'll ignore because you are a proven arsehole. To the other, or others, whichever happens to be the case, I'm just relating the story as it was told. If you have an issue with that, then take the time to contact them.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Call Ruger. See if they will take it in. I sent one in years ago for a replacement stock. They went through the rifle completely. Replaced a lot of parts...billed me $40 for the stock replacement.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 33 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.