Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dad and I headed out early Wednesday(11/16) morning for our annual whitetail chase in the Texas Panhandle. We left out around 6am and met up with my good buddy John(pullit) around 3:30 that afternoon. It was 89 degrees when we rolled into camp, so we were not very optimistic to say the least, but we unloaded our gear and headed out for a quick hunt. We only saw a couple small bucks that eve. The next morning I headed back to the same pasture I hunted Wednesday eve and planned to do a little rattling. When daylight came I had a small doe standing in the field, but no other deer in sight. About 10min after shooting time I grabbed my rattle bag and made a little racket. The doe didn’t care much for all the noise and spooked over the ridge. I laid the rattle bag down and kicked back for the long sit ahead. I didn’t really expect much to tell the truth as it was mid 50s that morn and a prediction of 80 that afternoon. Shortly after I rattled that first time I looked to my left and there he stood on a little knob about 300yds out. He was just standing like a statue looking in my direction, trying to find the bucks. After a couple mins he started easing my way and even though he was in range, I was going to let him get as close as possible. When he reached about 250 he turned a bit to the right, so I gave him some light rattling and here he came again. He walked up to about 120yds and just stood there facing right at me. I knew I was fairly well hidden as I’d placed my turkey chair behind some brush with the tip of the ridge to my back, so I just waited for him to turn. After about 5min(seemed like much longer) he finally took one step left and I couldn’t take it any longer, I settled the hairs on the point of his shoulder and touched off a round. At the shot he took off running to my right, so I bolted another round and got ready for another shot, but I could see the right leg flopping and held off. He ran over the crest of a hill and I saw a dust cloud fly up shortly after, so I figured he was done. I gave him about 20mins and eased over to have a look, he was done. I hate to shoot on the first morn, but his beams were past his nose and tines plenty long, so it was a no brainer for me. Turned out to be a nice 8. He would’ve been a 9, but his g4 on the right side was busted off flush with the beam. Beams were over 24 and 2s nearly 12(low 140s). I was tickled to say the least and the best part was now I got to hunt with buddy John and watch him punch a tag.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

New 257Wby officially broken in laugh
[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Since I tagged out so early, I got to tag along with my good buddy John for 4 days. That first eve we saw a 120s 8, then shortly after we had a wide shooter buck come in chasing a doe behind us, but that rascal saw us about the time we saw him. The next morn we headed back to the same spot and braved some ridiculous wind, but only saw a small 8 and some doe. That eve we tried a small rye plot down in a creek bottom and ended up seeing a nice 8, but he had some broken tines. We also saw a 3.5yo 8 tending a doe, but he wasn’t very big. The third day we decided to sit on a bluff above a river bottom. While we were driving in a really nice 160+ buck chased a doe over the ridge about 150yds from the truck. We bailed out and tried to head them off, but no such luck. The remainder of that day was a ball of fun, we probably saw 25 bucks chasing doe, but never had a mature buck offer a shot.
Sunday was our last day to hunt and ole John was getting a bit itchy lol. We started off the day with the plan to wait until light and spot and stalk our way to the same point where we saw all the bucks the day before. Since we were going to have to wait until light to go in, we stopped by a rye field to glass for a few mins. We slipped down a row of hay bales then started glassing. There was a doe about 100yds out and another dark spot about 250yds out. As shooting time came, John said “There’s a buck behind that doe!” I said where? John “right behind her, good buck!” The rifle comes up and I finally spotted him, but couldn’t tell much. Then the safety flips off and John’s finger is on the trigger. I said “You sure he’s nice? I can’t tell much.” John: “Yeah man, he’s a good one!” I knew it was game time at that point so leaned back to get away from the bark of that Wby lol. BOOM….POP! “You got him man. I heard the pop!” Then we headed down to see his buck. John had put a good shot on him, but he wouldn’t give up, so he finished him off. As we were standing there at his buck, we look up at the hay bales and there was a giant 8pt standing about 40yds from where we had shot and all we could do was wave at him as he went by. John’s buck was indeed a mature big body buck:
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dad was having about the same luck as John on his hunt, he only saw young bucks the first few days of the hunt. On the third day he decided to try for a mulie buck mid day as it was opening day for MD. He spotted a nice buck bedded with about 6 doe about 3/4mi across a cotton field and luckily the cotton was high, so the stalk was on. He was able to get probably 80yd b4 the buck stood up. The cotton was too high for a shoulder shot, so he put one through his neck. Turned out to be a huge bodied 5x5:
[Linked Image]
Dad finally saw a nice whitetail on the last day of the hunt slipping through a canyon and made a heart shot at about 100yds:
[Linked Image]

It was a really fun hunt with good friends. I’m already looking fwd to next year.

Have a good one and good luck,

loder

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the nice bucks, men.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You all did well. All very respectable bucks and a good hunt.

LOL
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks fellas.

For gear details:

My rifle was a 257Wby(RC #4, blueprinted 700, PTG bolt). 100TTSX at 3660(72.5g 7828 lit by 215GMM in neck turned WW 264WM brass). Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 in lapped TLW lows.

He ran about 100yds with no blood, not out of the norm with TTSXs for me. It blew the on side shoulder to bits and did a number on the heart. The exit was two holes and small(plugged with fat hence no blood). I figure it blew the petals:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Johns buck:
M700 LSS 257Wby, bedded, Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14x40, 100TTSX at 3700 via R25 in WW 264WM brass lit by 215GMM.

Dad's bucks:
Wby MkV 7mm Wby, bone stock, Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50, 140 NPTs, Norma brass, 215GMM, R22

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That does sound like a great time! Those tines on your buck are impressive, always making for pretty rack.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice indeed. Great pics as well.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wow! You guys got some nice stuff! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Looks like a great hunt. Congrats to all involved!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a lot of fun. Good times. Well done sir.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very well done!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was a good hunt with great friends and some of the craziest weather I have seen.
High temps was around 90 for the hunt, one day it was around 45 deg. that morning with 40-45 MPH wind, and the next day 29 deg's and no wind. The last day (the day I killed mine) it was 30 deg. and 20 MPH wind.
Went from hunting in short sleeve shirts to putting on about everything I brought.....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pullit
It was a good hunt with great friends and some of the craziest weather I have seen.
High temps was around 90 for the hunt, one day it was around 45 deg. that morning with 40-45 MPH wind, and the next day 29 deg's and no wind. The last day (the day I killed mine) it was 30 deg. and 20 MPH wind.
Went from hunting in short sleeve shirts to putting on about everything I brought.....

He would've went the first day in shorts, but man, those legs would have ran everything off the property laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations. Those are some nice bucks.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Decent bucks to say the least....congrats to all!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was curious how you guy did up there this year Reloader. We were North of you during the same time frame, and 4 of us killed 4 bucks in the 130-140 class. We seem to be missing a year or two worth of bucks (age class), due to the drought of 2011-2012. Saw many young bucks like you guys did.

Congrats on some nice deer and a good time. That's worth it anytime.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Loder, couple nice bucks man. Congrats!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Ronny!

OK, I will say it, 100 yards and no blood would make me uneasy with a heart that looked like that. You have told me before about your experience with no blood trail with the .25 TTSX. I still like my Accubombs in my .257 Roy.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM

He would've went the first day in shorts, but man, those legs would have ran everything off the property laugh

Told you before, those are jail house legs,....they aint seen the light of day in years.....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 204guy, 160user, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.