Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I finally got to test the new "Aussie Copper Projectiles" on game. Some of you may remember last fall when Mark offered to pass along some samples to members here for testing. (link to original thread)

Mark made the arrangements to have some 100gr. ACP Sidewinder bullets sent. They are all copper, solid shank, with a front section that opens and results in sharp petals.

In my .257 Roberts they were on par with 100gr Barnes TSX for accuracy. Mind you this isn't a bench gun, it's as it came, no bedding, minor trigger tuning, and a thin barrel topped with a Weaver scope. My average groups with the TSX are about 1 1/4" with some groups coming in at about 7/8". The ACP bullets were as good, and maybe better but having only a sample I didn't shoot much developing a new load. I found the accuracy acceptable using the same load as the Barnes TSX in the same weight.

The shot was quartering to with the deer slightly uphill. It was only about 45 yards so velocity was still quite high. It entered just inside the facing shoulder, and exited just in front of the off-side hind quarter.
Upon field dressing there were a few places that were bloodshot other than around the apparent entry/exit wounds. These were obviously due to the petals shearing off and taking a slightly different path.
I used the gutless method to avoid the sloshing mess inside the cavity, but upon completing the removal of all the meat, I opened the cavity to get the tenderloins. One was damaged, though I couldn't find the petal that did it. There was a tremendous amount of internal damage. The only thing I can compare it to is the early 100gr Nosler BT. Sloshy jello maybe?

I realize this is a sample of one at this point, but given the internal damage there is no doubt they are quite lethal. Getting an exit at this range is a testament as short range/high velocity is pretty hard on them.

[Linked Image]

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats! Nice looking buck, rifle, and an interesting bullet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So think its better than a TSX ?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
For me to give it a nod over the TSX after only one animal would be foolish.
I didn't like the fragments causing damage away from the path of travel. I found bloodshot spots where there wouldn't normally be. It did have a very tremendous wound path, the buck went about 60 yards and fell over. There was very little blood trail. However the lack of a blood trail had a lot to do with path, height of the holes, etc.
Will I use them again? Sure. May have my Dad use it on a doe for the freezer.
One is a small sample, but I wouldn't discourage guys from them.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thought I'd add a couple pictures. They're worth a lot of words.

This is how he fell. You'll notice no visible blood on the shoulder or on the ground. The entry in on the front of the facing shoulder.

[Linked Image]

Entry wound.

[Linked Image]

Missed getting an exit with the skin on. Very little blood on the ground even though the exit was under him. First pic of exit is with the hind quarter removed. Next a close up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Samuel Colt.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1OntarioJim, 222ND, 1badf350, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.