-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got my varmint model in today's mail from AR15sales.com and I think it's pretty dang great. Only others I've had have been CMC 3lb triggers, but I think I like this one just as much. The CMC will rebound off my finger sometimes and doubletap. This RRA Varmint has 1 3/4lb of first stage and almost 2lbs of second stage, as per my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. No creep. Not bad at all for $86 shipped.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jealous here. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I used a RRA Varmint and it was slow to reset. I installed JP springs and it worked better. I think I was at about 4lbs when done.

On the other hand, I was able to lighten up the NM a little using the same JP springs. No problem.

Seems like 6 of one or half dozen the other, with equal springs. I suspect some manufacturing variation in both.

That why I was curious if anyone could answer cummingscowboy question: Is there any difference between parts in the Varmint or NM? Or is it just springs?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about the RR, but Geissele says the difference between their NM trigger and their Match Rifle trigger is the springs. All of them are different.

Best thing to do with a Colt lower is sell it and buy something that will take a decent trigger.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by fourbore
Is there any difference between parts in the Varmint or NM? Or is it just springs?

I'm pretty sure the difference is just springs, supposedly ~ 1 lb difference in pull weight. If you were to change the springs in both, you should end up with the same trigger either way.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
2005 Colt lowers will take Geissele SSA and SSA-E triggers if I become so inclined.

Newer than that take any triggers.

Guess I could sell one of my 5 LEO 6920's if I really wanted to, which I don't, including 3 unfired 2015's with Kryptek Higlander Magpul furniture that are all small pin.

Everybody and their cousin wants a Colt. Easier to sell than phugkin ice cream.

What was your point, again?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Did you change the dis-connector spring as well?

yes I did change the disconnector spring, you have to knock out the peened pin to get to it. its not really meant to be changed. I can't remember exactly what the problem was but I ended up putting the factory springs back in it. I think the RRA triggers are a bit heavier than what they advertise.

but if you get the varmint model your going to have to spend double that at least to get a trigger that is noticeably any better and even then its going to be a very small difference. I still have a $62 varmint trigger in the package never opened waiting for something, LOL.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dunno about swapping springs, we just used to bend the trigger spring to make it what weight we wanted it to be while tuning it.

But for same price as NM, I won't mess with bending stuff to get to varmint....

Now, back to the 62 dollar search... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
2005 Colt lowers will take Geissele SSA and SSA-E triggers if I become so inclined.

Newer than that take any triggers.

Guess I could sell one of my 5 LEO 6920's if I really wanted to, which I don't, including 3 unfired 2015's with Kryptek Higlander Magpul furniture that are all small pin.

Everybody and their cousin wants a Colt. Easier to sell than phugkin ice cream.

What was your point, again?

Point being why would you waste any energy on a Colt when it is such a pain to find a trigger for and is so readily marketable? Buy something you can buy the trigger you want for it. Either that or just live with the trigger they came with.

You know that large pin Colt's are a pain in the azz by design, right? smile

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Please explain why it's so hard to find a trigger for a Colt.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The trigger pin holes are NOT mill-spec.
Oh crap, here we go!

Really, the trigger pin holes are bigger than standard.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Old colts, but I d ont' think new ones??? have larger trigger pins on purpose.

And there are not enough of them, IE no demand, to have all makers make replacement triggers with both pin sizes..

Heck its been so many years.. I don't even recall the two sizes. .154 comes to mind as one... I may be way off.

Now days most all lowers are more than good enough that you don't need a brand name...

YMMV

And now I see who asked the question.. LOL...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Current production Colt's have .154" pin holes same as any other brand. Been this way for about 10 years or so.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya I'm a Colt snob, I've only had lowers from Colt, Noveske, RR, Armalite, Bushmaster, Charles Daly and even Anderson.

Current Colt's use the same triggers as any others.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't see anyone mention you being a colt snob? May have missed it, being gone lots hunting lately I read faster than normal.

The old lowers with big pins were kind of a PITA but Milazzo made such and thats what we got before we realized we didn't need to spend money on names.

Hows the weather in OK lately? Pretty cool down our way.

Jeff

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It was 10 degrees here today but little wind. Saturday I pulled stands on our lease since the place sold and just barely beat the front coming through. Got home and it was 27 with 30 mph winds and drizzling rain, snow, by the time I got everything squared away I was froze.

No problem on being a Colt snob, just messing around since I own one.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, I figured ya'll might have had a bit of icing.

We were lucky, no moisture. Hit here at 645 pm with strong winds... I gutted a doe shot with Carolyns new 10mm glock in the wind an hour later with sweats on... got cool. LOL.

Sorry to hear about the lease. That sucks.

Ain't a thing wrong with colt, never has been that I recall, other than some shoddy 380 mustangs at some point, and now some of the 1911s sure ain't what they used to be, but what is..

Stay warm!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, trade that old POS Colt for a new Colt with milspec holes. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We're back to the same place. Why would I sell a gun at a potential loss that has gone bang every single time I've fired it through thousands of rounds with a combat trigger?

I've got 3 other 6920's with small pins I can mess with. For what I paid for them at their lowest price point last year (~ $750 average for the 3) I've got enough leeway to go with an SSA or SSA-E in the other 2 large pin guns. I'm just thrifty enough to have been looking for a possible alternative.

I don't look for reasons to sell my guns. What I really mean is, I rarely sell my guns and it burns a lot of gray matter to get to THAT decision.

I have a few, but I don't have many "Wish I had that one back" moments.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are offset adapter bushings to use small pin triggers in large pin guns. No idea how that works out, rost495 might have some insight, but it is possible.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.