Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
100% not allowed here. Makes it even better as few go deep into the land afoot.
Quiet time.

FJB & FJT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 4ager
Considering all those states West of the Mississippi EXCEPT Texas were acquired via purchase by the U.S. Treasury or by conquest (and therefore funded by the Treasury), and that said Treasury is the money of the people of the United States, the fact that the states were GIVEN any land at all at statehood was a gift. Those lands were always Federal lands, and as remaining Federally managed lands, they benefit the purchasers and owners: the PEOPLE of the United States

That gift was largely squandered by every one of them.

States that were created in that manner had absolutely no chance at solvency, nor will they ever do anything other than be dependent on federal dollars.

Small tax base doesn't do state budgets any favors.

We don't care one bit. I don't have to PAY $3,000-$6,000 every year to lease somewhere to hunt. Out here it's every resident's game animals, not The King's game like in TX. I like being able to hunt for weeks and not have to touch private property, except to buy gas and groceries.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It ain't just about hunting but taking the family on a camping trip without having to book a "camp ground" a year in advance to only be azzholes to elbows when there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about other states, but in Louisiana, your risking your life by hunting on the state and federally owned lands.

National Forest (federal) and Game Management Areas (state) are places where the city hunters gather. I've hunted on some of these lands, years ago, and I wont go back.

Its sad, but if you want quality hunting in La., you either own the land or lease it.

If you noticed on one of the charts, there is .3 acre of state/federal hunting land per person. I know every person does not hunt, but there are a lot that do.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Considering all those states West of the Mississippi EXCEPT Texas were acquired via purchase by the U.S. Treasury or by conquest (and therefore funded by the Treasury), and that said Treasury is the money of the people of the United States, the fact that the states were GIVEN any land at all at statehood was a gift. Those lands were always Federal lands, and as remaining Federally managed lands, they benefit the purchasers and owners: the PEOPLE of the United States

States that were created in that manner had absolutely no chance at solvency, nor will they ever do anything other than be dependent on federal dollars.

We don't care one bit. I don't have to PAY $3,000-$6,000 every year to lease somewhere to hunt. Out here it's every resident's game animals, not The King's game like in TX. I like being able to hunt for weeks and not have to touch private property, except to buy gas and groceries.

Why is it that of the 30 or so states that don't have hardly any public land, everyone always lands on Texas with statements like that?

"King's game"...? Is Oklahoma or Kansas deer hunting different that Texas?

Can I just go anywhere I want and start deer hunting for free, without getting the "King's Permission" anywhere but Texas?

FWIW, the deer belong to, and are managed and regulated by the state in Texas. Just like any other state. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here are some charts showing population, land area, and population density by state: CHARTS
The last chart is population density (people/sq mile). The few states at the bottom engulf the vast majority of land in the US but only a small fraction of the people.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here are some charts showing population, land area, and population density by state: CHARTS
The last chart is population density (people/sq mile). The few states at the bottom engulf the vast majority of land in the US but only a small fraction of the people.

This information starts to complete the picture of the chart posted by 700LH.

It's not only a matter of which state gets what "tax money"... But which states are CONTRIBUTING to tax dollars in a positive way.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This information starts to complete the picture of the chart posted by 700LH.

It's not only a matter of which state gets what "tax money"... But which states are CONTRIBUTING to tax dollars in a positive way.

Please continue.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Please continue.

Well, I'll try.

You have two states... Both the same exact area.

One state has 2 million people in it. The other has 20 million people in it.

The state with 20 million people in it has very low unemployment. Most everyone works. Most everyone pays taxes. Not many on welfare as a living. That state also has a tax base of private property.

The other state is mostly comprised of public land, where no tax base exists. The state also has high unemployment, and most of the residents are on welfare or food stamps of some sort.

Now, they rank the states and the two states are equal in tax dollars received.

That number doesn't show the whole picture.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Sure has been nice loving the outdoors, and living left of the Rockies.

[Linked Image]

Point of order: the big yellow chunk of the Adirondacks in NY is not all state land; much of the area within the "boundary" line is privately owned. One of my new favorite places to canoe and camp. Many free campsites; I can make a 1400 mile RT and save much more vs paying for State Park camping in VA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Why is it that of the 30 or so states that don't have hardly any public land, everyone always lands on Texas with statements like that?

"King's game"...? Is Oklahoma or Kansas deer hunting different that Texas?

Can I just go anywhere I want and start deer hunting for free, without getting the "King's Permission" anywhere but Texas?

FWIW, the deer belong to, and are managed and regulated by the state in Texas. Just like any other state. wink

Unless you include AK where the feds promised a serious chunk of land to the State at Statehood... things most other newer states got like land set aside for colleges and other educational pursuits, and freedom to manage the State as other states do.

Instead they gave us ANCSA and ANILCA and the finger when we asked for the promised land... which has still not been delivered. And then they capped that by taking over management of game on Fed lands...

For its part the State through Gov. Tony POS Knowles dropped a lawsuit (Katie John) at the last minute at SCOTUS... we were well and truly screwed...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of the major contributing factors to the amount of federal land in the west is lack of water. It was available for homesteading but wasn't taken because there's no water. Idaho, for example,has millions of acres that actually could be good farmland but with under 7" of rainfall, it can't grow anything other than sagebrush.
There's also a whole lot of it that's too rocky and mountainous to use for much. It's just not suitable for becoming a tax base.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a chart for those that continue complaining that their state has to "pay" for public land in the west.

If you look only at the first measure—how much the federal government spends per person in each state compared with the amount its citizens pay in federal income taxes—other states stand out, particularly South Carolina: The Palmetto State receives $7.87 back from Washington for every $1 its citizens pay in federal tax. This bar chart, made from Wallet Hub's data, reveals the sharp discrepancies among states on that measure.

[Linked Image]
http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If public land is welfare land, does that make a public road a welfare road? Is the interstate highway a welfare highway? The local baseball field a welfare field?

If you are a federal taxpayer and pay your fair share, then the federal land is partly yours. Your tax dollars are paying for it.

I do know I see a ton of Pennsylvania, Missouri, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Texas plates on the backroads here in the west during the hunting season, and good for them, they are part owners just like we locals are!!

Best,

Chet

[Linked Image]

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder what that chart would look like if they left out military bases.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Several way to do a chart, but the bottom line is, guys here at the fire complaining they have to pay for public land, when the state they live in takes more federal dollars that it gives.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ChetAF
If public land is welfare land, does that make a public road a welfare road? Is the interstate highway a welfare highway? The local baseball field a welfare field?

Public roads are paid for largely by gasoline and fuel taxes by those that use them the most.

Should we consider getting the same system for hunting public lands?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

In states that have more public than private lands, usually the biggest employer is also "government" of some sort.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
The counties up here are supposed to get PILT money to make up for the pleasure of having so much federal land.

That has dried up pretty well in the last couple of years.

In Montana at least, I am not sure the "school section" program even makes money.

Always ticks me off that my county has all the federal land and the county over west has the BLM office.

I am MAGA.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.