Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bryguy
I have bought 2 8 pound jugs of Varget over the last few weeks......and found primers for reasonable prices......seeing lots and lots of 22 ammo around here for $.05 a round...............I am pretty good now for a while, just need to bulk order a few bullets and Ill be good for a while.......

From following these types of threads....

I've seen patterns, that make one thing there is also local distribution patterns....

Guys can't find one powder in one part of the country... and yet other parts of the country have plenty of it on the shelves....

others can't find primers, or certain types when other parts have plenty of primers and selection...

Some one above just mentioned seeing plenty of 22LR, 22 Mag etc at their local Walmart recently.... that was in Western NY of all places.... yet here in Southern Oregon, 22 LR is about as common as dodo eggs...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
America is great again...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Almost nobody I hunt/shoot with buys primers by the 100 or powder by the 1lb canister anymore. Minimum 1K primers at a time and 5-8# kegs of powder instead of 1# containers. Shortages in '08-'10 and '12-current have exponentially more people buying every component in far larger quantity than they ever used to.

'Course I know more than a few whom are also still using primers they bought in the mid-late 90's during the Bill Clinton "Make primers inert after 2-3 yrs scare".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone seeing GM215M's?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rosco1
Anyone seeing GM215M's?

LGS got 30 bricks in Mid-Oct, they were $70/1k and lasted almost 2wks.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Now that I have 10,000 primers and 50 lbs if powder. Better get a few more!!

laugh laugh grin

We have the same affliction! wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
ar15 stuff will fall real soon. PSA has uppers for 199 and bcg & charging handle for 79.00.

I see complete lowers for $149.00-$199.00.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
.257 Roberts brass is still unobtainium.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neck down and turn some 7 or pop up some 6 Rem.

The panic is still on here in militia-country Montana. I think the only way we'll ever see 22LR is estate sales or bankruptcy auctions.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Makes you wonder how the supplies can appear so quickly.

This. Starts making things look like there was a contrived "shortage" all along. Distribution channels simply don't work as quickly as this. And production certainly would take many months to ramp up to these levels if even possible.

Somebody was sandbagging, either for continued profits or at the behest of the govt.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by EdM
Makes you wonder how the supplies can appear so quickly.

This. Starts making things look like there was a contrived "shortage" all along. Distribution channels simply don't work as quickly as this. And production certainly would take many months to ramp up to these levels if even possible.

Somebody was sandbagging, either for continued profits or at the behest of the govt.

In retrospect, it seems kinda like that could be true. Now, I am pretty conversational with my local reloading place, and am sure they were not in on the fix.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All of the companies were running three shifts seven days a week trying to keep up, the cost of expanding production was prohibitive, and even if expanded production took place, it would take a certain amount of time to complete. So, in the less than a month since the election, a way has been found to run more than three eight-hour shifts in one day, it has been determined that expansion is cost-effective, and that expansion has been accomplished in less than one month - totally impressive accomplishments.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I think the only way we'll ever see 22LR is estate sales or bankruptcy auctions.

Same here...which BTY is where CCI's factory is located.

I can drive by their factory and see pallets of the stuff ready for shipment but the local retail shelves have been empty for years.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know at least one local store kept cases of .22 rimfire ammo in the back room for regular customers who actually needed some, rather than put it out on the shelves where everybody who came in would buy a brick--and text all their buddies about where to find it. Same deal with one local Wal-Mart: They kept it hidden until somebody actually asked, rather than out in the open where word got out immediately and swarms of buyers showed up.

Also know of at least one American rimfire manufacturer who tried to keep up with demand during the first year or so of the "shortage" by manufacturing .22 Long Rifles 24/7. But they had to pay overtime to do it, and many workers eventually grew weary and quit. It also didn't seem to make any difference: As soon as they shipped out ammo, stores were clamoring for more. So they went back to their regular manufacturing schedule.

Meanwhile there was plenty of higher-priced .22 ammo available, and the supply of .223's and handgun ammo rebounded within a year or two. If the government was hoarding ammo, why were they hoarding cheap Long Rifles? Are people with squirrel rifles more of a threat to the government than people with AR-15's and semiauto handguns?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Be nice to get some H4350 and Reloader 33 here.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was at the Cabela`s in Green Bay today.They had shelves of every powder I could imagine six deep.In the past two weeks I have bought 2K 22LR at about $26.00 a brick.Things are looking good.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen stores decently stocked for the last 6 months +

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
I will believe it is over when I can find H-4350 on the shelf regularly. That is the one that has been the worst to try and find.

7 - 1 pounders and 4 - 8 pounders available in my 'hood. $29 lb, 206, 8#
The last year has been pretty good for reloading supplies, 2015 was hit or miss.

Last edited by smarquez; 12/01/16.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I know at least one local store kept cases of .22 rimfire ammo in the back room for regular customers who actually needed some, rather than put it out on the shelves where everybody who came in would buy a brick--and text all their buddies about where to find it. Same deal with one local Wal-Mart: They kept it hidden until somebody actually asked, rather than out in the open where word got out immediately and swarms of buyers showed up.

Also know of at least one American rimfire manufacturer who tried to keep up with demand during the first year or so of the "shortage" by manufacturing .22 Long Rifles 24/7. But they had to pay overtime to do it, and many workers eventually grew weary and quit. It also didn't seem to make any difference: As soon as they shipped out ammo, stores were clamoring for more. So they went back to their regular manufacturing schedule.

Meanwhile there was plenty of higher-priced .22 ammo available, and the supply of .223's and handgun ammo rebounded within a year or two. If the government was hoarding ammo, why were they hoarding cheap Long Rifles? Are people with squirrel rifles more of a threat to the government than people with AR-15's and semiauto handguns?

Are you then saying that after Trump was elected, masses of Americans immediately quit buying 22 ammo, primers, and powders--and thus the shelves could suddenly have vast supplies within two weeks that no one wants to buy?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Since the election, reloading supplies that had disappeared for YEARS suddenly show up in mass on retailer's shelves. Now you can find any caliber of brass, all the .22LR you can shoot, and almost any powder you may need, even pistol powders, are showing up in quantity. I would say the drought is over. Did the election of Donald Trump cause this glut of formerly unobtainable items to appear at stores within 2 weeks as the hoarders relaxed a bit, or was it something else?

Yesterday at my local whorehouse as an example.....and ALL brands of powder that had been missing for a long long time was stocked full.

[Linked Image]

the SW here keeps all brands out on the shelf, but empty. you have to go to the counter and look in a 3 ring binder to see what they actually have in the back room.

they've had a pretty good selection for around 6 months now. Powder Valley has been well stocked for about he same amount of time.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 21 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,089
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.