Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Since we have one Tikka posted I guess I'll put another up. And I will agree, the Tikka Superlite is a fine rifle. I dropped my 7MM-08 into a Hunters Edge and sure like it a lot. In fact I hunted with it more this year than all my other rifles combined.

[Linked Image]

That's a slick Tikka

Last edited by BCJR; 12/02/16.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Living and hunting in BC, mountain hunting is pretty much it. Adding in the possibility of deer to big bear, moose and elk has pretty much kept me using 27 caliber or larger, mostly on an 06 case.
I have settled on model 70 fwts or a clone as "best" for me. Currently on the lookout for a decent pre 64 fwt in 270, might be the final rifle I will buy, unless I run into 2 of them!

I guess my 270 fwt is a nice "mountain rifle". It weighs in at 6.5 pounds as shown here without scope:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I was hunting in the mountains with this rifle long before the someone coined the term "mountain rifle", Featherweight topped w/ a Leupy 2-7x33 vx-ii- all in just over 7 lbs

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

currently putting together a rifle that should tip the scales just a smidge over 6# laugh

Mtwarden: I hate to break your heart...... smile but the term and concept "mountain rifle" predates your M70 FW,either the 1980 PF version or the Classic(I can't tell which yours is),and maybe you as well.

Likely it was Jack O'Connor who railed for lighter rifles and had them built by a few custom makers dating back to the 1940's(?). The M70 FW came on the scene in the early 1950's and was about right in those days for a mountain rifle.

They were not easy to find as factory items and many custom makers like Al Biesen, Dale Goens,, Tom Shelhammer, and many others built them custom for clients who hunted high country back then. JOC popularized such rifles.

As a concept it goes back to Europe in the form of light weight Mausers and Mannlicher Schoenhauers.

hell hanging around gun stores in the late 60's as a college student I knew traveling hunters who used FW 270's to kill moose, caribou,grizzly, Dall and Stone and Bighorn sheep,elk and who knows what else with their "mountain rifles".

So you and your rifle likely came a long time after JOC and other writers,and I can promise you that the term and concept of "mountain rifle" were around a long time before you arrived on the scene with that rifle in 1980 or thereabouts. If you got on board in 1980 you were late to the game. smile wink

Yes indeed. Bob is right about that in all regards.. The rifle I pictured in the previous post is an example of what JOC would use as the platform for such an animal. That one was built in '57 and is damn accurate and reliable. The way all "mountain rifles" should be...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BCJR
nice rifles all , Bob is right about them really being do all rifles although stand hunting may be a little less weight sensitive. A battery of one light 06 could cover all. BSA I wish the MPI were a bit lighter on the pre 64 but it is one of my all time favorites and will never be sold. The TI's maybe the best factory mountain rifles as far as factory out of the box, Here is another factory option Tikka SL , in 06 of-course. smile
[Linked Image]

I like that superlite too. You have good taste in rifles...

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
7mm-08 M7 in in a McMillan Edge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Ok, at the risk of boring everyone with photo's of my rifles.
Rifles I have posted several times here before. Here goes.

Old school mountain rifles, similar to Jack O'Connors original concept.
First is a pre-64 M70 fwt in 270 of course. 7.75lbs

[Linked Image]

Next is a Mauser in 270 , 8.25lbs kinda heavy but traditional.

[Linked Image]

Old school but not in the O'Connor tradition

Mauser 6mm, 7.25lbs

[Linked Image]

Mauser G33/40 30-06, 7lbs

[Linked Image]

Now for a couple of more modern mountain rifles.

Remington Ti 270. 6.25lbs

[Linked Image]

And a Savage in 260. 7.25lbs

[Linked Image]

Very nice!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toad
7mm-08 M7 in in a McMillan Edge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle bud, it sure compliments that Suburban of yours.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Nope not the original grey finish anymore. The finish had some scuffs/rubs from years of use. Nothing major but wanted it to look new again so I had darrenK here on the fire redo the paint. He uses the same stuff McMillan uses so I had him to olive with black speckle which I do like for a hunting rifle. He also did the Ti for me. I also had Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs Cerakote all the metal for me in a mix of graphite black & titanium. It looks black in the picture but has a grey tone to it in the right light. I like it:)

Beautiful rifles Frank, they turned out well.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BCJR
nice rifles all , Bob is right about them really being do all rifles although stand hunting may be a little less weight sensitive. A battery of one light 06 could cover all. BSA I wish the MPI were a bit lighter on the pre 64 but it is one of my all time favorites and will never be sold. The TI's maybe the best factory mountain rifles as far as factory out of the box, Here is another factory option Tikka SL , in 06 of-course. smile
[Linked Image]

I like that superlite too. You have good taste in rifles...

IMO bang for your buck the super lights are hard to beat , I was confident enough in it to take it sheep hunting , and it did great as the photo shows. There are some really nice rifles posted here so far !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Nice rifle bud, it sure compliments that Suburban of yours.

Thakns, Bro. this one was the 'gateway drug' that led to the SS M7. it's also a 7mm-08, but Parkerized CM in factory form except for the Krylon on the stock.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I started cobbling rifles like this together about 1979 or 1980, before sub-7 pound rifles were commonly available. Worked everywhere from Alberta to New Brunswick and most of the Rocky Mountain states.

This one is a 270 as were some earlier ones but a couple of 7 Rem Mags also mad the weight class and were used as well.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't hunt the mountains but I do put on the miles with this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Here's one. [image]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Number/42594/filename/ft%20rock%2013.jpg[image]

Wayne York ultralight Rem 700 in 270, 22" cut rifling bbl, hand laid kevlar stock, timney, 3x9x36 Swaro;

(anybody know why the pic won't load without clicking on it?)

Attached Images
ft rock 13.jpg (90.13 KB, 902 downloads)
Last edited by luckyguy; 12/03/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
luckyguy;
Good morning to you sir, congratulations on the nice mulie and what looks to be an effective rifle too.

So I've been fooling with your photo for a bit and will hazard a guess that perhaps the information copied from your photo hosting site wasn't complete?

I'm nowhere near an expert on this, but with photobucket - and when I copied the info here in your post - it had .jpg at the end before the (img) brackets at the back and then would work.

Hope that helped and was at least somewhat useful sir.

[Linked Image]

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by BC30cal
luckyguy;
Good morning to you sir, congratulations on the nice mulie and what looks to be an effective rifle too.

So I've been fooling with your photo for a bit and will hazard a guess that perhaps the information copied from your photo hosting site wasn't complete?

I'm nowhere near an expert on this, but with photobucket - and when I copied the info here in your post - it had .jpg at the end before the (img) brackets at the back and then would work.

Hope that helped and was at least somewhat useful sir.

[Linked Image]

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne, I appreciate it. I tried adding .jpg, no luck. Tried copying link to your pic, no luck. Oh well, only a pic on the interweb. Thanks again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If Big Green had made the Ti in lefty, my rifle buying might have ended quite a few years ago ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
If Big Green had made the Ti in lefty, my rifle buying might have ended quite a few years ago ...

Or a S/A KS gun..........Same with Kimber and their Montana rifles. A S/A lefty from either would have put Melvin Forbes in the poor house. smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
At one point I had a couple SS Mtn Guides, one a 308 and one a 243. Lost track of which was which and the weights. Been through several heavier and wayy less accurate rifles since. Those were a good run of Mtn Rifles. Knowing then what I know now I'd not sold them, they'd be dandys in an Edge Classic or such.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

While packing heavy rigs on a 2015 elk hunt, I decided a lighter rifle would be a good thing and been toying with options since and decided to try a Kimber when they announced the 6.5 Creedmoors, and ended up with a Montana. Likely to have a SWFA 3-9 and no brake for hunting season, though I have toyed with the idea of putting a light scope on it, I really like my experience with the SWFAs.
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't know if this is gonna qualify as a 'Mountain Rifle' or not, but its the lightest one Ive got. You guys know I like smaller cartridges as my hunting now is all for deer sized critters on down..

Rem Model Seven CDL in .22-250

and no, this pig wasn't on a mountain grin

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WTH kinda heathen mounts are those?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.